Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Having an MRI tomorrow

I have to have an MRI of my lower back done tomorrow and I'm dreading it so much. I've had several before and I just don't do well with them. I'm claustrophobic and I know that I let my mind get the better of me but I just can't seem to help it. Does anyone have any methods you use to get through these things without going insane?

Yes --- I had a funny teacher in the 3rd grade....started thinking about her one day (for some odd reason) while in a MRI. I had to stifle to keep from laughing. Since then, I think of her every time I'm in one. I don't think of the closed space, just Mrs. Spurgeon. Try it!!!!! (well, think of someone YOU know)... :)

I have to have a Pet Scan next Month and I have to lay there 25 min.!!!! and can't move going in and out of scan...
    I start thinking of a new quilt pattern I want to make or a nice summer day @ the beach...... Keep your eyes closed
    Best of luck on the test too

Blog Entries
    They always gave my DH a tranquilizer ..came out to the waiting room and gave it to him, then when he started giggling and trying to touch his nose and then the guy's next to him, they came out and took him in to the MRI room.
    You should have someone to do the driving in such a case.

I really focus on my breathing. I have to have an endoscopy on Thurs. At least I'll be asleep. Blessings...Think positive thoughts.

Call where you are to take the MRI and see if you can brig your headsets and listen to music, that is what I do and do not go to sleep.

The last time I had an MRI I got through 2 rosaries before I was done! There is always someone who needs prayers and that helps me not to panic.

Next time you should see if you are a candidate and the facilities are available for an open MRI. I hear they are much easier to get through because you are not enclosed in such a small space. Just think happy thoughts. You will get through it.

Ask for an open MRI.

The first time I had one I was panicky the next time they played music, not so bad the third I opened my eyes and wished there was a seek and find picture on the top!

My last MRI 2 mos ago was in an open type unit. I tried to just relax and take a nap. I also thought of quilts that I would like to make.

Blog Entries
    I was warned ahead of time about feeling closed in so when I laid back on the table I closed my eyes even before they started putting me in - and didn't open them until I was out - just relaxed and pictured myself on a beach - don't know what the inside looked like don't care

I keep my eyes closed and talk to God. It's not a prayer, it's an actual conversation. He stays with me and hasn't let me down.

Blog Entries
    Never open your eyes :(

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I was warned ahead of time about feeling closed in so when I laid back on the table I closed my eyes even before they started putting me in - and didn't open them until I was out - just relaxed and pictured myself on a beach - don't know what the inside looked like don't care
    Good idea, Sharon!!
    I had one on my knee so I wasn't fully enclosed but I was antsy anyway. They let me choose the music I liked and plugged it in for me. Helped a lot.
    Good luck, sweetie!!

I have to take something before them as well. I also have to do the "open" machine, I can't do the little tunnel ones at all. They can actually put you under for these now too.

Bring a wash cloth and if you can find some soothing essential oils a MRI place does this works every. Time to relax me. I love Mris I fall asleep

Blog Entries
    I ask for a wash cloth, fold it up and cover my eyes. The hearing protection they made me wear is also a head set for music, so that helped.
    I also tell them if I start to feel panicky I want them to talk to me, I don't care about what LOL just keep talking. I told the guy doing the first one to read me the MRI manual if he couldn't think of anything to say LMBO :D:D:D

I've only had 1 Mri and during it I had a coughing fit. I never cough unless I'm sick. It was very unusual. All I could do was lay there and close my eyes. I took deep breaths and prayed.

Closing your eyes really does help...music is great if that's your thing. I just shut my eyes and breathe evenly, either attempt meditation or think about quilt/quilt designs.

Blog Entries
    It's nap time for me! Sounds crazy, but after my bro said it bothered him, I was determined to get thru it in good shape.Worked for me.I simply kept eyes shut & relaxed. Hope you can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    I have to have an MRI of my lower back done tomorrow and I'm dreading it so much. I've had several before and I just don't do well with them. I'm claustrophobic and I know that I let my mind get the better of me but I just can't seem to help it. Does anyone have any methods you use to get through these things without going insane?

Because I have a brain tumor, I have them all the time - way too much, if you ask me :(

Anyway, I too can get very uncomfortable in there, as I'm not a small person to begin with and it's a very tight, small space. So what I do is close my eyes, and daydream. I don't let myself think of anything else other than a daydream. I even sometimes MAKE myself walk through a thought, just to keep me occupied (like actually sewing a quilt block in my mind, seam by seam). I just make sure they're happy thoughts/dreams, and it can range from playing with my dog, to quilting, to reviewing a movie scene by scene, an upcoming vacation plan, whatever - just so it's happy. It took some practice, but I'm pretty good at it now, and can almost fall asleep in there.

I also ask for the most open MRI machine I can have (I'm limited, as it must be a stong machine). The newer machines are so much better than the older ones that wrap you from head to toe, now they're only about 1/2 the body, and are faster so request these. But, since I have to have my head in a 4 way lock-down helmet complete with bars over the face, it means nothing except that when using the mirror, when I can see my feet - I don't feel quite so closed in. And I take a lot of deep breaths :)

Good luck with the MRI. Hope it turns out well.
    Debbie in Austin

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. My appt. is 1:30 this afternoon and I'm trying to stay calm and not worry about it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Having an open MRI helps. When I had mine, I was in such pain, they had to pull me out and give me a pain pill. It was only like 5mg's of hydrocodone, but it helped the pain, and the anxiety. It was also an open MRI.

Ask for an open one, if not available, close your eyes and dream of fabric. Good luck, we're praying for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast