Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help for gasoline prices

This was forwarded to me by a friend who is as upset about gasoline prices as I am.......

My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon..

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon.
    In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3)stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine.

Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the
    evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.

Thanks for the information. We need all the help we can get!! :thumbup:

great info

Blog Entries
    Good information! thank you

Thanks a GALLON!!! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Thanks a GALLON!!! 8-)
    Me too! I hope I can convince DH to do some of these tricks...

Thanks for sharing :wink: :wink: :wink:

Blog Entries
    Great info, gonna let my DH read this, Thanks.

Thanks for the valuable information. We have to do what we can to save some money and this will help.

Oh this is so helpful. Thanks so much for sharing this. Most of these are new to me. I am sharing this with everyone I know.

lol..told DH yesterday. Filled up my little SUV and it was $44.04...my first car a 68 Volvo Sedan could be filled for $3.38 when my sister and I ran it dry. He just laughed at me.

I fill up on the 3/4 tank my husband it does make a difference will have to try the am thing see if it works :)

Quote Originally Posted by icon17
    Thanks a GALLON!!! 8-)
    Your fur-baby is PRECIOUS!!!!

Thank you. I bookmarked this to show hubby later!

Blog Entries
    Thank you!!! I will print this and give it to hubby.

Thanks for the information!!!

Thanks.....I sm just trying NOT to drive anymore. UGH!!!!!!!!

Power Poster
    great information thanks for sharing

Thank you so much!

I received an email with this info recently and checked it out on Snopes - here's the link: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
    Sounds like it's only partially true. The last paragraph mentions the following: There are much easier and better ways to make your car more efficient (and save gas at the same time). Particularly important is proper maintenance (engine tune-ups, wheel alignment, proper tire pressure, filter replacement). Also remove any little used equipment that adds weight and drag such as roof racks/carriers, sports gear or tools. Some people run with extra weight in the trunk or back of their vehicle for traction in the winter, which also reduces the gas mileage. Driving habits are especially important: jackrabbit starts and starts burn up extra fuel, as well as driving at higher speeds. All in all, the simple habit in engaging in the planning and combining multiple trips into one excursion will likely save the average motorist far more money (and time) than all four of the tips listed in teh original article.

Almost 40 years ago, my husband and I drove a full-size Chrysler; another sister drove a VW bug. My youngest sister (age 7 or 8), who was usually a passenger in the Bug, was with me at a full service station(remember those!) when I asked for $5 of gas. My sister, in true amazement, said "will it hold $5 worth"?

Those were the days my friend - we thought they'd never end!!

Thanks for the info. I just spent $50. to fill my tank. I hate spending that much cash for gas.

Thanks for the great information!

Senior Member Claddaughquilting's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for the great information...time to start implementing!

Thanks, this is great info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast