Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help with glitter from fabric please >

Help with glitter from fabric please

Help with glitter from fabric please

Old 05-27-2020, 05:56 AM

Thanks all. I wiped the washer three times, each time there was less glitter. Now I'm running a sacrificial load with drop clothes and an extra rinse. I'll hang it on the line and hopefully the last of the glitter will fall off. I didn't use my dryer for this fabric thank goodness! I line dried it. The jury is still out on the other fabrics in the batch. They still have enough glitter on them to give me pause.

As for "why would someone think this was ok"?? I never gave it a second thought, I'll bet my mask group didn't either. I saw the pretty fabric and said "oooh" but never thought about the glitter.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:42 AM
Power Poster

As far as "glitter/shiny/metallic" -

If it "sheds" or is scratchy - I would avoid using it. Especially for bedding or something that will touch a person's face.

I bought some t-shirts that had glitter on them. They are still scratchy many washes later. I also learned this "the hard way". I am also still finding glitter on some of the other garments that are in the same load.

Regarding the "metallics" - printed ink? - some of the "metallic" will wash off eventually - but it does not seem to flake or leave "dust"/residue" in my washer or dryer. I have been having a debate with myself about whether or not to use a "metallic" print in a face mask.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:52 AM

Just remember Not to put it in the dryer. Fortunately the weather is good for drying outside.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2020 at 07:38 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 05-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
..........As for "why would someone think this was ok"?? I never gave it a second thought, I'll bet my mask group didn't either. I saw the pretty fabric and said "oooh" but never thought about the glitter.
I "think" you are already "thinking" seriously about this one.
I'm with the others, that alarm bells went off for me, when I read about it.
If it were I, I would return this fabric to the source, advising them of your concerns.
It could be that they never noticed that it was all glittery!

In the end, let your conscience rule ... even if others say, oh sure, make masks!!
If so, let them have some one else use it.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:53 PM

If I can add my 2 cents worth. Do not use the material with glitter or metallic on it for masks. One of the sewing masks groups I belong to, the first thing they say not to use is "No fabric with glitter or metallic".
Old 05-28-2020, 06:07 AM

I have a conclusion. My group agreed that we should not use the glittery fabric for masks. They had placed a bulk fabric order for masks and got so busy distributing the fabric to the sewists that they didn't even notice the fabric shop had included a glittery piece. They are sending me a new batch of fabric. We are not using the other non glittery fabrics that got contaminated either. It's too risky.

My sacrificial laundry came out glitter free too so all is well!!

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:31 AM

I would be a little skeptical about making masks out of the fabric that has so much loose glitter. I am not sure that washing it many times would make the fabric any better? Good luck to you and I think everyone here gave you great advice as to how to remove the glitter from you washer. Hopefully you will get all of it out of the washer or you will be sharing glitter on all of your laundry.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

I have made about 10 or so quilts to donate that had glitter inbedded in the fabric. I prewash and wash finished quilts. I did not find any glitter in my brand new washing machine or dryer. The fabric is beautiful.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:34 AM

I like glittery fabric. I have a rainbow fabric quilt that is over years old. It still glitters, but not as much as new. I don't use glittery for baby quilts, either.