Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me name my dog

How about Boss, short for Boston. I hate it that he can't hear you when you call him tho. He sure is a cutie.

He is soooo sweet looking. Brutus or Keller are great names.

Blog Entries
    Butch!

How about "Browser" as he will aways be searching for something new to get into. I had Boston Terriers most of my young life and they never lacked for curiosity. The deafness will be more of a problem for you than for him.

Blog Entries
    I always wait to see what their personality is before naming critters My little Clem named him self after weeks of trying he finally responded to Clem

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123
    I always wait to see what their personality is before naming critters My little Clem named him self after weeks of trying he finally responded to Clem
    I can't do that cause he will be responding to hand signals. So far he has been layed back and sleeps a lot but I'm sure that's cause he is so young and still a stranger to our household. I really don't think it matters to much as to what his name will be because he won't hear it anyway. It's just to have a reference to him as an individual dog.

He is adorable! You will come up with a name after you get to know him better. I named one of my boxers Buster and eventually shortened it to Bu, and his temperment changed to being sweeter. I think the way I said Buster was harsh sounding to him. Of course your baby can't hear but he will be able to feel vibrations. Give him lots of hugs and rubs!

He's so cute! My niece rescued a deaf dalmation, and she had many years of unconditional love from her. We always had to remember not to startle her, coming to the front of her before giving her a pat, etc.

This is also my suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opal Jane
    How about Keller...a distant relative of Helen Keller.

He sure is adorable! I know you'll give him a good home and he'll reward you with lots of love. How about Henry? Or Scout?

Take a few days to get to know him before you name him, because sometimes you find the name you picked just does not suit the puppy. I named our puppy right away, Missy and then changed it a few days later, because she reminded me of a little bear, so I named her Sugarbear.

God Bless you for taking in this little pup, I am sure he will be a handful but will bring you so much love.

Blog Entries
    I had one half a lifetime ago, he was deaf but it took me a week or two to realize it. Danny Boy watched me so closely it spooked me at first, then it became his way of life. He knew when it was time for the kids to come home from school, sat in front of the window watching for them. and would not let other dogs or strangers near "his" kids. When he had to go to the Rainbow Bridge all the family mourned his loss.
    Since he was a rescue, found near a busy highway, we never knew his history but he'd been well taken care of before. This was before microchips.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
    I'd name him Signal, he's awesome and glad he has a good home.
    I like this name. It is perfect. He is just adorable. Please try to find a book about hand signals. I had a cat that I used hand signals with. She died of a heart attack before going deaf.

I like this name!!!!!

I love the name Keller (sort of sounds like Killer, lol). I used to have a schnauser that knew several signs. I could "command" her from across a field. I taught her the same signs as ASL

What a handsome man! I have a deaf boxer that I rescued and we took a class to learn sign language....it was amazing, by the end of the week, she was like a totally different dog! She understood me and I in turn, understood her! I modified the ASL a little so that I could sign one handed - especially when Button was on a leash. Her sense of smell is intensified so treats were a blessing. Your dog will keep you in sight all of the time, so be careful you don't step on him!!! LOL As far as a name - I agree, wait a few days and his name will come to you! (although I really like Keller) Thank you from my 2 rescues and myself for taking him in - you will have the most unconditional love for a lonnnngggg time!

How about Stanley, Stan for short.

What a cutie! I like the name Max, too, but I also think you're going to settle into the right name after a couple of days.

I had a dog who was deaf for the last several years of his life and a few things helped us.

- He doesn't know he's deaf, so don't treat him like you feel sorry for him. He won't understand what you want if you do.

- We have a fenced back yard with a light on the house and another one on the shed at the back of the yard. To get Baxter's attention if he was facing toward the back we'd flash the light on the shed; if it was dark and he was facing the house we flashed the light on the house. He soon learned this was his signal to come inside, even if he couldn't see us in the dark.

- Deaf dogs can't hear you coming but they will respond to vibrations in the floor. They'll know you're coming by your footsteps, and stomping your foot is a great attention-getter. However, watch out if there are small children about; their steps are not heavy enough for the dog to feel them through the floor so it's easy for kids to startle a dog who is facing away from them. If a snap is going to happen, this is a likely time. Teach small children how to make themselves known to the dog without scaring him.

- All dogs "hear" your body language better than any sound you could make. Keep in mind that for the most part dogs don't relate to each other through sound either - some of mine never bark, whine, or make any noise at all! Use your body and your energy the same with a hearing or deaf dog and they'll "hear" you just fine. :)

Thank you for rescuing this little heartbreaker!

Super Member IrelandDragonQuilting's Avatar
    How about Dillinger?

You know the pet pyschic says that you can communicate with your dog through a pyschic connection? I can tell you at times I would think something and my dog would do, so perhaps?

Puggsly was the first thing that came to mind when I saw him. Adorable! Good luck with this cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by auntmag
    This is also my suggestion.
    I thought a long time on this name, I'm afraid it sounds like Killer too much. I'll keep it in mind tho.

He is wicked precious the more I look at him and his black and white suit I think butler, how about Higgins, or Belvedeare? If I spelled that right.

RDM
    Blog Entries
    He is beautiful. So pleased you have given him a loving home. Already great names here which I can't top.

How about Matlin? Or Ferdinand? Ferdi can have a double meaning; the big, sweet bull in the children's story, and for Ferdinand Berthier. He's the first deaf person to recieve the French Legion of Honor, and he's the founder of the world's first deaf organization.
    I SO overthink-I know!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast