Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Help! My hair is falling out!! >

Help! My hair is falling out!!

Help! My hair is falling out!!

Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem? I always loose some in the winter, but this year every time I wash my hair the comb is full when I comb it out. I have very fine hair that is fairly short. It's a good thing I have a lot of hair, or I would be almost bald by now :oops: Some one told me to go to my pharmacy and get some prenatal vitamins. Does anyone know if this works? Please help :!: :!:
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM

It is normal to lose around 100 to 150 hairs a day. They say we have around 100,00 to 150,000 hairs on our head. Are you on any meds? Certain meds can cause hair to fall out.

I haven't heard of taking prenatal vitamins for this, but it wouldn't hurt I guess.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 PM

Yes, I'm on some meds, but I have been on the same ones for years and I have never had this much fall out in the winter before.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 PM

If you're noticing a significant difference, you'd be wise to report it to your doctor. It could be a symptom of something, such as a vitamin deficiency or a hormonal imbalance. Fine to start on a multivitamin or even a prenatal vitamin, but better to pinpoint what the problem is.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM

You are rite, that is what I'll do.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:44 AM
k3n
Power Poster

This happened to me last winter - it's usual to 'moult' a bit more at this time of year but not excessively so and I was worried! I got a B6 supplement and some special shampoo from my hairdresser. Within a few weeks it was fine and this winter I had no further problems. I'm sorry, the brand of shampoo was a French one so not much use to you. It was expensive (around 15 USD the bottle) but you only needed a tiny bit (and I have long hair) and one bottle was all I used. I'm sure your hairdresser could advise you of an equivalent.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 AM

By all means get to your Dr. I had this problem for months. It was a med I was on & I did the research myself & found this on the internet, printed off the info & took it to my Dr. I also went to WalMart upon the advice of my hairdresser & in the Vit. section I bought Biotin. It is for hair, skin & nails. I take 2 tabs a day. My hair started growing back and is growing rapidly. My labwork all came back normal except for Vit. D & I am really low on that so I also take that every day as well. Lots of reasons for hairloss, so do see your Dr. And it would not hurt to research all of your meds before you go. Wishing you the best & hope it is just something very minor.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:48 AM

First off your so not alone. I lose hair when I stress. Seriously am stressed about something. My little sister loses it so bad she gets bald patches and she has amazingly thick hair. Get her less stressed? no patches. Meds can do it, hormones can REALLY do it. I lost a ton of hair during menapause. Its much thinner now but 'thicker' because well as it comes in gray its a thicker strand. Ask your doc but the more you worry.. the more you lose unfortunately. Multi vitamins will not hurt. Keep those bugs farther from your doorstep if nothing else. Good luck and from someone who has had chemo etc.. its only hair. Its not who you are. Keeping it short can go a long way towards keeping it noticable only to you.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 AM

I take coumadin and it has caused my hair to start to fall out also. I decided to become a "hat" person. I went to TLC.com, a website that serves women undergoing hair loss due to chemotherapy. They have a wonderful, inexpensive array of hats. I bought about 8 and now I wear one every day. I also changed the style of my hair, which helped a little.

Like someone said before me, "it's only hair!"
Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 AM

Strenn will do it too but usuall a vitiam you needmore of.... V-D is very important. I just received an artical on it the other day ad sent to a friend and she said yes she was checked out by her DR and she needed it so is taking more right now for 12 weeks then will be tested again