Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help for slunk smell.

Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    My DD brought her little dog with them for Christmas. She was in the back yard and found a skunk and attacked it just as I opened the door to get her in. She got it good and the wind blew it indoors as she ran in right under our bed.Then she ran in and jumped right in the middle of a bed with one of my treasured quilts my DM made for me many years ago. We have used everything we can think of to get the smell out of the carpet under the bed and the quilt. The quilt as been washed and washed and aired but I can still smell it when it is close to my face. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so please tell me how you solved the problem. I sure thank you for any help.
    There is a product called Scent-A-Way (sp?) that hunters use to hide their scent from the deer. It is by far the best thing for skunk smell. I had a Great Dane that got into a skunk several times and this is the only thing I found that eliminated it. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty pat View Post
    My DD brought her little dog with them for Christmas. She was in the back yard and found a skunk and attacked it just as I opened the door to get her in. She got it good and the wind blew it indoors as she ran in right under our bed.Then she ran in and jumped right in the middle of a bed with one of my treasured quilts my DM made for me many years ago. We have used everything we can think of to get the smell out of the carpet under the bed and the quilt. The quilt as been washed and washed and aired but I can still smell it when it is close to my face. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so please tell me how you solved the problem. I sure thank you for any help.
    My daughter's dog does the exact same thing and I hope some one can come up with a solution as they have tried everything from tomato juice to vinegar to dawn dish soap and nothing seems to help. Once that smell is in the house it is there for months.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Power Poster
    I saw on the internet that some people have had success with using wood ash to remove skunk smell. Apparently the wood ash alkaline ph works much like the tomato juice.
    Last edited by Tartan; 02-10-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Time is your friend. After a loooong time, the smell does go away. Experience !
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Weird solution, but told to me by a wildlife veterinarian: douche liquid! (Summer's Eve type). Don't know why it works, but it does. Can be used on animals, humans, clothing, etc. My son used to work at a wildlife rehab center and was forever getting sprayed. Vet kept lots of douche on hand for the interns.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

My son uses that also, I saw him in the store one day and he asked it I would buy it for him,
    As a single man I guess I could see he was embarrassed to be buying douche but hey if it works!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2