Help for slunk smell.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM

I don't know about skunk smell, but I cad a quilt that was peed on by a cat, then put in storage for at least 5 years. The smell was eye-watering, and I was sure it would never come out, and almost threw the quilt out. I washed it with Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, and was shocked to find the smell completely gone. At about $4 a box at WM, it might be worth a shot. Good luck
Old 01-14-2019, 04:43 PM

https://www.humanesociety.org/resour...nking-your-dog

This is what we use as our dog manages to find a not so friendly skunk once or twice a year. I would think it would be safe for a quilt and carpet. There is also an enzyme pet product you can get at the vets or if you have a pet supply store.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:49 PM

We used that on the dog and it helped until we got her to a groomer who used the shampoo. But the shampoo did not work on the carpet or quilt as well as it did on the dog. I was afraid the peroxide might bleach out the color on the quilt and carpet.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 PM

I will buy some of that and try it. I haven't tried that yet. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Peroxide,liquid dawn and baking soda takes care of skunk smell
That's what I would use. Several times! I'd be afraid the tomato juice would stain the carpet and the quilt. If it doesn't work, you could call one of those disaster cleaning companies and ask them for suggestions.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 AM

Vets sell products to remove the smell from dogs, but I'm not sure about your carpet. I have had good luck removing skunky smells from books - might work for a quilt? I get a large plastic trash bag and fill it with clay kitty litter (nothing fancy, just the cheap kind). Then I lay the books on top and close the bag tightly. Leave alone for a couple of weeks and, when that time is over, the smell is gone. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Peroxide,liquid dawn and baking soda takes care of skunk smell
I agree with this as this is what I used on our dog. I would not use thee tomato juice as it has acid in it..I think that would weaken the fibres. IMHO.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 AM

I would be very afraid of using the peroxide, dish soap and baking soda on the quilt. It does work very well on animals and perhaps even on light coloured rugs but I think it would be harmful to the coloured fabric in the quilt.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Time is also helpful here. My cat got "skunked", but this was an outside cat who sometimes came inside. She stayed outside for a while after that, but if I came home from an errand and walked into the house, I could tell if my husband had let the cat in. The smell was faint, but it was there. I didn't fuss about it too much. It went away.
More recently, my male cat, also an inside-outside cat, got sprayed, so he became an outside only cat. But it was now getting cold out and I knew he wouldn't like to be outside in the Wisconsin winter. We had a quite mild fall this year. After a month or more, I was complaining to my daughter about the cat, and she said she would take him. She has a barn with animals, not dairy cows but steers, lambs, ducks and such. She put him in there and it took him about a week to come out of hiding and start playing with the other cats and my granddaughter. No more smell.
After a few months, the smell goes away.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Thank you all so much. I washed the quilt with baking soda, blue dawn and three gain tabs and the smell is finally gone.I sprayed hot vinegar under the bed and that really helped. I just wanted to save the quilt most of all so I am so happy it is saved. Thank you all so much for your help.