Home made sanitary pads

Old 08-26-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if nobody else is going to say it ... i will.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! :shock:

ok. got it out of my system.

back to you, terri. :lol:
Me too!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23
Originally Posted by bearisgray
There are disadvantages to being female! We leak!

I'm trying to think of a few advantages -

Anyone?
I've been told by many male friends they are envious of our boobs.
I'm betting they just WANT them - not want to HAVE them. Can't imagine ANY man who would WANT the 'man-boob'!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

I'm no longer a user of those things,thank goodness, but I agree with some of you ,,,EWWWWWW!!!!!! I will go green and try to be more thrifty in some other departments. At least disposibles will eventually break down.What really concerns me is the plastic water bottles!!! Gee Willikers!!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

What an educational read!! Not having grown up with any sisters, my home education was limited...this thread has taught me stuff I never knew I never knew! And a lot of stuff that I know for sure that I didn't want to know!!:lol::lol

Terri..I'll just wish you and Lauren good luck with this one!! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

I don't think anyone mentioned this:
ok, so a person like the idea of the darker fabric on the outside to hide stains.
Are the dyes used in the fabrics safe for this area?
I'm thinking they must be safe for some ppl, but I'd hate to learn the hard way.
I don't see what a big deal this would be. We are discreet about the whole thing anyway, and who doesn't want to save a lot of money and help the environment at the same time?
(yes, my husband would think I was nuts...but hey...we have two bathrooms. Mind yours, I'll mind mine.) lol :hunf:
Old 08-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I soooo want to ignore this thread and just not read it but I am drawn to it like a fly to...well...a pail of dirty mama cloths! It has been quite interesting and informative. Never heard of diva cups or mama cloths and thankfully never HAD to use them, and it would most certainly have been an absolute necessity for me to even consider it. It's not that I'm prudish and I never got into all the euphemisms about menstruation, I'm not afraid or embarassed to say vagina, breasts, penis...you get the point. But our ancestors were mostly pregnant after they reached puberty, stayed pregnant or nursing, and died usually before they reached menopause. Our grandmothers and great-grandmothers (if they weren't in the same position as our ancestors) didn't have disposable pads, they HAD to use rags and such. And IMHO cloth diapers is a whole 'nother issue. Babies HAVE to wear diapers 24/7 for a couple of years or more, I would expect the issue of comfort to be important. I used cloth diapers for my son 33yrs ago. Menstrual cycles seldom last more than a week and todays shaped, self-stick pads are a lot more comfortable than yesteryears' rectangular pads and sanitary belt combination. No need to ask me how I know, I'll tell you I've been there and done that. If you ever HAD to use the sanitary napkin/belt comb you probably think todays pad selections are a vast improvement, if you never HAD to use them today's choices are probably an archaic torture. It's all a matter of perspective.
BTW, ya'll may be interested in reading the book "The Red Tent". Okay, now I'll sit back and wait for the next postings.
I loved the Red Tent! Thank goodness, we do not have to do that!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if nobody else is going to say it ... i will.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! :shock:

ok. got it out of my system.

back to you, terri. :lol:
I was afraid to say it. Cloth diapers are bad enough.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM

Just when I thought this thread was over...

The "eww" responses make me giggle. But I guess that's just my "earthy" personality coming out.

I would use the homemade stuff if I had to, but I like the modern disposable pads better.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:08 PM

Here is some information I found that might be helpful in making these items.

What Is Bamboo Fabric?
Bamboo fabric is a new fiber that is getting a lot of attention these days, but what is it exactly? The fabric itself is very similar to cotton, and is made from bamboo grass. The grass is processed into a pulp which can then be spun into fiber. The fabric is very soft, which allows for a luxurious feel.

Many people have allergies to natural fibers, but this is not the case with bamboo fabric. The fabric also hangs from the body much like more expensive fabrics, such as silk, would. It is more durable and easier to care for than silk, which makes it more appealing to consumers.

Bamboo fabric is also highly absorbent. This property allows the fabric to keep moisture away from the skin. By wicking away extra moisture, bamboo fabric is credited with helping to eliminate bacteria and odor on the skin.

Sustainability is another aspect which many people find appealing about bamboo. As more and more people become conscious of how their purchases affect the world around them, bamboo is seen as a crop that grows quickly and requires no pesticides or herbicides. Bamboo fabric combines the best of what people need from a fabric with responsible ecological principles to provide an affordable, beautiful alternative.

Exceptionally absorbent and gorgeously soft. Bamboo is very popular as the absorbent layer in reusable nappies, training pants and menstrual pads
Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM

I was going to mention bamboo! Hemp is good also. A nice velour is wonderful on the skin side. :D I used them for quite a while.... not sure why I went back to disposable, but I do still have them. Also called Moon cloth (there's a bit of controversy - since they're sometimes called mama cloth, but not everyone that uses them is a mama). I've bought all of mine online from wahms (work at home moms).