Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Home made sanitary pads

There's also the "Diva Cup". I heard about it from another site I go on. Its here:

http://www.divacup.com/

It's a "cup" type thing that you use instead of tampons. You empty it somehow and reuse it that way. I've not used one, yet, but I do like the idea of how green these items are. Just can't bring myself to do it.I know that's irrational, but somethings are just ingrained too deeply, you know? Maybe someday.....

They say that they really are hard or messy to dump. You would think they would be!

yuck! not for me, glad I don't need them anymore, and hubby wears black underwear, can't see the skid marks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Wow...the things you learn on a quilting forum. I must admit, I never in my wildest dreams thought anyone in the modern world used anything other than disposable products. I must be quite naive..lol. However, yes, they are very expensive. This has been an eye opener. Glad I don't have to worry any more.
    Amen sister! :lol: :lol:

I dimly remember seeing a knitted pattern for a pad. If you're interested, I can do some searching to see if I can find it.

the circle pattern (sewn): http://sites.google.com/site/shewhorunsintheforest/0011

This is how the enviroment friendly stuff takes it to a whole new plane. When there wasn't anything better is much different from all the nice things out there. I don't need that sort of stuff and haven't for years, if I did I sre wouldn't use anything but boughten pads. Just me.

I used to make pantyliners and sell them on Etsy. They sold quite well, too. :)

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Actually, dumping the water in the garden makes sense.

Recycling makes sense.

The reusable tampon grosses me out, though.

what was used "way back when"?

Back before fabric was invented?
    i don't think they ever had their monthly they were always pregnant. and what was their life expectancy??????? so they really didn't need anything.

I hate doing laundry, so this is a no-go for me.

I'm not really into the whole "earth mother" thing. I'm 29 and feel like a lot of women my age, those in urban liberal areas especially, are under a lot of modern pressure to bring things "back to basics," which tends to be code for a heck of a lot of inconvenience and work. Tampons are not killing the environment; they just aren't.

This is a great idea. I am allergic to almost all feminine napkins and have to pay a lot more for chlorine free pads. I am old enough now that I only need them a couple of times a year. I wish I had known about them earlier.

They used rabbit skin )and other skins) and they used it for diapers too. Some of the Native American tribes were superstitious about women during their cycle and they were banished to a building or tepee until their cycle was over. Other women would cook and clean and bring them food and hand work to do while they waited for it to end. What happened to THAT tradition huh?????

Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Has anyone made these or know of anyone who has?
    My daughter asked me about them and I've heard of those that have made them, but don't know anyone personally that has done this.
    Any insight would be appreciated.
    I've Googled it, so had my daughter, but she is mainly confused as to what fabric/material to use.
    Can anyone help?
    Try searching on Etsy. There were some on there in the past. Maybe buy one and see how it's made? Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

cotton flannel and cotton terrycloth seemed to be recommended

Just wondering - I did the cloth diaper thing for my kids - so I suppose this would be in the same category -
    Yup I did the same thing but bought pads from a home business.

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    if nobody else is going to say it ... i will.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!! :shock:

ok. got it out of my system.

back to you, terri. :lol:
    I thought the same thing at first, though I never used them is it any different then someone blowing their nose in a hankie and having to wash that????? Or skid marks in hubby's undies?????? And I ask WHY do lots of guys not know how to wipe their butt??????????? :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    ROFLMBO! You must have seen my DH's laundry!!! We call them skid marks too!

Blog Entries
    Ok, I can see the napkins, but reusable tampons? I don't thnk so....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    There's also the "Diva Cup". I heard about it from another site I go on. Its here:

http://www.divacup.com/

It's a "cup" type thing that you use instead of tampons. You empty it somehow and reuse it that way. I've not used one, yet, but I do like the idea of how green these items are. Just can't bring myself to do it.I know that's irrational, but somethings are just ingrained too deeply, you know? Maybe someday.....

They say that they really are hard or messy to dump. You would think they would be!
    I tried those, because when I was using a diaphragm for birth control, it worked in a very similar way. Except that the disposable cups weren't made like a diaphragm to be removed easily, and it looked like a murder scene in the bathroom after trying one of those cups. Gah. Suffice to say, I still have the rest of the box under the bathroom sink!

Honestly, I am so ready for menopause now.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What a funny topic!! We really are spoiled though. When my Mom and her sisters were growing up there was no money for those products. They used rags and boiled them. I thought it was so gross but I guess you do what you need to do!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    Honestly, I am so ready for menopause now.
    Me too!!! Until then the store-bought stuff I was brought up on will do.

Wilderness camper here. That means p'ng and sh*t'ng in the woods. But I'll choose luxury of indoor plumping any day. Same goes for sanitary products-- store bought, disposable instead of washable, homemade. I'm sure my mom had used homemade when she was young. I embrace the recycle, reuse philosophy whenever I can but not sure about this one. However, personally doesn't affect me anymore.

LOL - I'm with you gals on this one. I would switch over to a homemade one if I had to, but for now I will stick to my disposable ones.

PS - I've used a folded up kitchen flour sacking towel once at a reenactment when, surprise!, guess what showed up.. (threw it away when I got home)

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1

Now this is really gross, on a blog the lady said she takes the water from the diaper and mama pail and dumps it in her garden. She said is has lot of nutrients and everything grows huge. I don't know her personally but since she writes of her veggies garden I don't think if I did I would ever have a tomato sandwich at her house. Which is also silly look at all the people who use cow manure. Like everything else it is what we are use to and what has been considered exceptable.
    It's not just a matter of acceptable, though. Most cow parasites will not transfer to humans, but if there are human parasites, another human can get them. I would wash any vegetables out of that garden with bleach water, as well, to kill anything else.

And cow manure used as compost only touches the roots (and if properly composted is DIRT and not manure anymore), but I'm assuming some of this water could get on the leaves or vegetables of the garden.

I'm not saying it's totally bad, but I think it's something you'd have to be careful about. But I'm super paranoid about parasites from spending time in Ecuador, where it's much more common - nearly everyone has parasites, and if you spend enough time there, nearly everyone GETS parasites (yes, and I had some too). It's just standard practice to wash veggies and fruits that you can't peel with a special disinfecting wash or bleach water.

So that's my tangent on that. I have used reusable sanitary pads, and they're easy to make with flannel or cotton dish toweling. I was not good enough about washing them in a timely manner, though, so I quit using them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well I don't think Terri asked us all for our opinions on the matter.....she wanted a pattern.....but this discussion is so great! I think I should offer mine. Honestly until now I have never even heard of this practice...or such a pattern/product.
    It all makes sense to me.
    I am not sure if I should do this or not because I have so many people in my house and to many boys that would go blabbing about what was in our bucket?
    BUt should I feel shame in trying to save money or the environment?
    Sometimes the uncomfortable thing to do is the right thing to do right?
    I will think about this.

Power Poster
    back to no periods while pregnant -

remember the stuff after baby is born?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    What a funny topic!! They used rags and boiled them. :D
    OK so my question to you is...........if they boiled them did they have a special pot just for that or did they use a pot that they would cook in??????????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    Well I don't think Terri asked us all for our opinions on the matter.....she wanted a pattern.....but this discussion is so great! I think I should offer mine. Honestly until now I have never even heard of this practice...or such a pattern/product.
    It all makes sense to me.
    I am not sure if I should do this or not because I have so many people in my house and to many boys that would go blabbing about what was in our bucket?
    BUt should I feel shame in trying to save money or the environment?
    Sometimes the uncomfortable thing to do is the right thing to do right?
    I will think about this.
    The bucket could be put in the your bedroom closet. Someone with 6 sons does that so it is out of sight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redkimba

PS - I've used a folded up kitchen flour sacking towel once at a reenactment when, surprise!, guess what showed up.. (threw it away when I got home)
    Are you a CW reenactor????????????

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast