Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home phones

Home phones

Hi all,
    I need some advice. My children, all grown, have their own phones. My husband and I also have our phones. He's been broaching the subject of nixing the home phone. A part of me sees the logic in this. People call us personally on our own phones and it's very rare that the home phone rings anymore. Still, I'm reluctant to give it up.

Any ideas?
    ~Sharon

We have a home phone, but we never use it. The calls we get are solicitors. It came as part of a package, but I would just as soon not have it.

Blog Entries
    A home phone (land line) provides *exact* location when calling 911. Cell phones do not; their location can be determined only by approximating an area within three cell phone towers. The reason to keep a landline in the home is really for emergencies. My brother has had to use 911 more than once; using the landline means that emergency services can get to his home faster, even if he can't give them his address. Also, in a catastrophe during which many more people than normal are trying to use their cell phones to reach relatives, lines can get jammed up. A landline will often work when a cell phone call can't get through due to higher than normal traffic. Remember 9/11? The same applies to natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and floods.

My biggest beef about the landline is that it costs too much!

Edit: I should add that my information about 911 calls may be out-of-date. I researched this a few years ago for my brother and things may have changed since then. I know my iPhone can give me my exact location; however, I don't think it can give emergency services my exact location if I call from that phone.

Edit 2: Well, I should do my research before writing, not after. Here are some links with additional info:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...data/23570499/
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...line/index.htm
    Last edited by Prism99; 10-21-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Every month when I pay the bill I think we should get rid of the landline. My husband doesn't have a cell phone, so he needs to get up to speed first.
    Lori

I think the 911 thing is dependent on whether you have home phone connected to an old fashioned wired land line or you have a home phone line via your cable company. But you are so right - things change so rapidly with technology, my info could be out of date.

I keep the home phone for filling out forms for various stuff we must have these days. The home phone screens the calls from solicitors who are sold our contact info, so I can just delete them.

Granted that is not the greatest reason to keep the darn thing...
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Yikes. I just realized our "land line" phone is actually provided by our cable company. With a real landline phone, you can make calls out even when the power is off. With a "digital" home phone like ours (provided by the cable company), the service is dependent on the internet. When we have lost power here we have not been able to use the "land line" phone; however, we could still call out on our cell phones. The real land line is most valuable in a natural disaster type situation. Some interesting info here about the differences between these two types of phones:
    http://gizmodo.com/5947158/why-cable...get-a-landline

Both types of home phones offer the address advantage for 911, I think. This is probably because the phones are associated with an exact location. If a call is made from that phone, the location of the phone is known because it is stationary. The wired land line is better in a natural disaster because it is not dependent on internet service.

Cell phones use an entirely different communication system (radio waves, I think) and it is well known that these systems become overloaded in disaster situations.

We live in a place that gets hurricanes and when the power goes out a true landline has worked for us. Hard to charge a cell phone with no power! But we are moving to a place that doesn't get hurricanes so are thinking of trying for a bundle of cell phone, home phone which doesn't have to be a landline and directv. We are not ready to do the Netflix, Hulu, antenna, Roku right now. So if we can do that we will have a ho e phone. Otherwise we will just continue to use our iPhones. I have changed all doctor offices to the iPhone so I don't have to wait at home for a call back
    Alyce

We keep our land line because there are very few cell towers up here and the land line can always get through. I agree with what the previous people say about getting help and they know where your at.

Blog Entries
    My mother still has her old Princess Phone for use when the power goes off and she has no desire to own a cell phone at 89. While I have a cell phone, I seldom use it. After working in an office for 50+ years, I have very little desire to chat on a phone and have even less desire for texting.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Gave up my land line 4-5 years ago. Why pay for something that is rarely used and redundant. It is easier to screen calls. My kids, grandkids, and I text more than we call. I even get appointment reminders via text.

We keep the land Line because of the 911 issue and we have to have a phone line for our home burglar/fire alarm system to use to contact the alarm company in the case of a breakin or fire. I also like to have the home number to give out to businesses, etc and keep my cell phone for personal family and friends. We have caller ID and an answering system on the home phone so block and screen calls as needed.
    Last edited by Jeanne S; 10-22-2015 at 03:15 AM.

I switched my wired house phone to just basic service. I refuse to Text and if I need to make a long distance call, I use my cell phone, which also has basic service and only costs me $19.00/mo. The wired phone is more reliable when we are without electric. It does not need charged.

I have a land line which I need in orde to do Pacemaker check, this won't work on a cell phone. Also we loose
    power often.

We gave up our landline years ago. The landline number had been our number for over 25 years so I had my cellphone number changed to our landline number then cancelled the landline...the plus for us we used to live in MN so our cellphone numbers are from there. We now live in Texas so our MN friends and relatives from our old area can call us with out getting charged for long distance. We have never regretted giving up our landline.
    LilaKay...greatgramma to Brielle Mae

Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Gave up my land line 4-5 years ago. Why pay for something that is rarely used and redundant. It is easier to screen calls. My kids, grandkids, and I text more than we call. I even get appointment reminders via text.
    This is what we did too. We were only paying for the landline as a convenience for solicitors in our opinion.

Took the leap and we have never looked back. We were getting so many annoying robo calls on the land line. Now, none. And one less bill to pay.

Power Poster
    I use our land line to locate my cell phone.

DH keeps talking about going to cell phones only.

Aurora - I agree with you 100 percent. I retired 5 years ago at which I was on a computer and/or phone almost 8 hours a day. I have a simple trac phone now plus a land line phone. The trac phone I basically use while in the car in case of an emergency. I have a computer and IPad and use it some but I am not attached to the hip with them. I don't need to know every detail of my children's/friends lives daily so don't text. I'm here if they need me and they know how to get ahold of me. I know it's an age thing and that's OK - each to her/his own.

Blog Entries
    We keep our landline for emergency purposes. My husband uses a basic cell phone but it's difficult for him - we are old.
    We also use the landline for junk calls so our cellphone numbers aren't given out to every place we call. We get many solicitor calls but never answer them. It comes as a package so we probably wouldn't save any money be getting rid of it. If I could talk hubby into getting a smart cell phone we probably would do away with the landline.

Blog Entries
    We had so many junk calls that I did away with ours after my Husband passed away. I had being attached to my cell phone but at least I don't get junk calls on it. Well i won a trip to Bermuda yesterday! But i understand at times the cell won't work when a land line would. But I couldn't pay both bills, so one had to go.

We gave up our landline 2 years ago. DH wanted an iPhone and of course, DS wanted one too. When we went to the cell phone store, I found out that I could have one for less than the cost of our landline phone. Plus, I could make our landline number my cell number. I never used the cell number I had. By transferring the number, I didn't have to change the number with drs offices, schools, church directory ect. It worked perfect and I don't miss the landline.

We have to keep the land line because of our security system, but I wouldn't have one if not for that. We always use our cell phones. The only calls we get are political and sales calls, neither of which we answer. We have our phone system set to go directly to voice mail on the first ring. If somebody needs to talk to us, they can leave a message and we will call them back. I don't need to talk to sales people or political pollsters.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    We no longer have a traditional land line. We use our cell phones primarily but have a Magic Jack for phone which uses the internet. We got it when we had more limited minutes on our cell phone plan to compensate being put on hold when we called businesses. We rarely use that anymore however as our cell plan has unlimited minutes. I guess I'm willing to take the risk of not having a phone locate me directly in 911. I've called 911 a couple of time from my car while in transit to report something (one time a cow was on the expressway) and the operator could tell where I was. I'd rather spend the money on material than a phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    A home phone (land line) provides *exact* location when calling 911. Cell phones do not; their location can be determined only by approximating an area within three cell phone towers. The reason to keep a landline in the home is really for emergencies.
    This is very important to remember.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'm just old enough, we have kept our landline. It may seem silly to many but I must prefer to do any business or medical issue over a landline. It "feels" like I can hear better everything being said. We both have cell phones but our landline has never dropped a call or faded out.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast