Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
home remedies for an ear infection? >

home remedies for an ear infection?

home remedies for an ear infection?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Dee

Am on antibiotics for my ear infection. Doctored with all home remedies and finaaly had to go to doctors. Its in my inner ear. Don't wait too long.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Dee

Am on antibiotics for my ear infection. Doctored with all home remedies and finaaly had to go to doctors. Its in my inner ear. Don't wait too long.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Ds just complained of his ear bothering him - we first did peroxide and then some warmed olive oil that had had a smashed garlic clove in it (that didn't go in the ear, just the garlicy oil) After it sat in there for a while we had him put his ear on a covered hot water bottle. He was totally fine in the morning.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 AM

thanks for all the ideas! actually it is feeling much better - got some ear drops and am taking tylenol. i feel 100 percent better! i still may go to the doctor on wednesday (that is my day off and my doctor's office is basically a clinic where you don't need an appointment) definitely cancelling my dentist appointment on wednesday - don't need to sit in the chair with my mouth wide open with my ear not feeling quite up to par. you guys are the bestest!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
Not every ear ache is an ear infection. I would try the peroxide or any other remedy listed here, but remember that if it is indeed an ear infection, most likely is a middle ear infection and none of these solutions will solve it. I ignored once an ear ache and ended up having a huge one that turned into a 2 moths agony. The pain was incredible and I could here my own voice inside my head. It was one of the most strange feelings. I know you may feel guilty for doing it, but a trip to the ER may prevent it from getting worse. Most ERs have a smaller section called Fast Track or Urgent care that are created exactly for cases when is not severe enough to be at the ER but when postponing treatment will make it worse. A middle ear infection can turn into inner infection, which means months of treatment, Dr visits, lost work days $$ in copays at the Dr and pharmacy and lost sewing time. And if it turns up not to be an infection, you get piece of mind. Good luck and feel better.
Had a sinus infection and my nurse practioner was booked so went to one of those Hospital Urgent care one.Almost $400.when I got my bill.Nurse Prct.$35. for visit.OUCH!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
Its your ear.. I wouldn't play around with it , I would probaly go to the drs. when i was little my mother would blow cigarette smoke into it and put a piece of cotton in it. However its probably just the warmth that made it ffeel better.
I remember having horrible earaches when I was a kid and remember the cigarette smoke "cure" being tried on me. Wish they had taken me to the doctor and had these infections treated appropriately. I have had hearing loss my entire life from untreated ear infections.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mary O
Originally Posted by Maride
Not every ear ache is an ear infection. I would try the peroxide or any other remedy listed here, but remember that if it is indeed an ear infection, most likely is a middle ear infection and none of these solutions will solve it. I ignored once an ear ache and ended up having a huge one that turned into a 2 moths agony. The pain was incredible and I could here my own voice inside my head. It was one of the most strange feelings. I know you may feel guilty for doing it, but a trip to the ER may prevent it from getting worse. Most ERs have a smaller section called Fast Track or Urgent care that are created exactly for cases when is not severe enough to be at the ER but when postponing treatment will make it worse. A middle ear infection can turn into inner infection, which means months of treatment, Dr visits, lost work days $$ in copays at the Dr and pharmacy and lost sewing time. And if it turns up not to be an infection, you get piece of mind. Good luck and feel better.
Had a sinus infection and my nurse practioner was booked so went to one of those Hospital Urgent care one.Almost $400.when I got my bill.Nurse Prct.$35. for visit.OUCH!
Sounds expensive, but what is the price of health?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna
I know from experience that this works. Cut an onion in half. heat one half through. Wrap in a cloth and place over sore ear, making sure not to burn ear. You can feel it drawing the pain away.
I know that this also works personally since I have had 5 ear infections since I have been out of high school. Unfortuately they were all bad enough that my eardrums ruptured each and every time. But the onion does work to help with the pain. The only bad thing is that you smell like that dumb onion for a long time. There are sometimes that I can still smell the heated onion in a washrag. Sounds stupid, but anyways hope your ear infection gets better.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM

it did get better. Tuesday morning I went out for breakfast with a high school friend i hadn't seen in over 15 years! i felt so good i didn't go to the doctors, didn't use the ear drops, didn't take the tylenol - and now it is back today! not as bad but i am back to using tylenol and the ear drops. i made a rice bag with flannel and heated it in the microwave for a little bit monday night and that helped a lot. gonna do it tonight.