Honey Instead of Sugar?

Old 12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

If you had to cut back on sugar would honey be a good substitute? You know like on cereal, oatmeal, hot tea, etc. I've always heard that honey was good for you but would it be fattening like sugar?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

It depends on why you are cutting back on sugar, if it is partly to loose weight, changing to honey won't help any,

You can use nutra sweet etc but some of the artificial ones are just as bad or worse for you as they are all chemical.

Your body gets addicted to sugar and the less you use the less your body will crave it, start cutting back on the amount that you put in and before you know it you won't miss it near as much, Plus to help your body precess sugars etc they say to take about a 15 min walk after you eat.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Stevia is a better substitute. Honey is high in calories and does affect glycemic index.
Stevia in the Raw is the best brand I have found. It doesn't leave a bitter taste.
Also, using the liquid Stevia is good when making cakes and pies.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:42 PM

Stevia is also natural no chemicals like Splenda, Nutrasweet and Saccharin
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM

I really like Splenda.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

I was asking because I need to loose weight and for my health. I don't trust the artificial sweetners but I might try Stevia. I'm not a big sweet eater anyway so maybe I'll just cut it all out. :-)
Old 12-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Cutting back is the best thing then for you, and making things from scratch as then you can control the amount of sugar that is put into things, it is harder if you do it all at once, if you just keep using a bit less you will be down to using next to none in no time, Same with greasy fatty things,

Even cutting down on your portion size a bit will have an effect. Your body is used to having so much, that if you cut back slowly you won't notice and won't be feeling hungry even if you are eating less.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

I have Fibromyalgia and sugar causes problems for me. We use Stevia Extract or Organic Agave Nectar in place of sugar. With the Stevia a little goes a long way, be careful. Agave is a natural sweetener from agave plants. It is perfect for sweetening beverages, baking and as a multipurpose sweetener. Either one is good and natural.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:25 PM

I've been using stevia and like it and the benifits. I really don't like or trust artificial sweetners. I'm trying to get rid of chemicals not find new sources.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

I cut out greasy fatty foods along time ago. My problem is we are gone alot and eat fast food crap on the run. I wish there were more fast food places with healthy foods! I love Arby's pecan chicken salad wrap but its probably fattening too. :-( Now if I could just convince hubby that he needs to loose too then it would be easier. He has to have his meat and taters!