Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hording may be neccesary!

OK, boys and girls...I just saw this on the news and I'm very worried...they are saying that there could be a chocolate shortage :thumbdown:
    The growers don't want to grow the chocolate plants because other plants are more profitable.
    I wonder how long chocolate would keep if I stocked up now???
    I'm a dark chocolate lover, and I think that that freezes better because of less cocoa butter.
    Life will not be worth living without CHOCOLATE!

I agree!!! I am a lover of Dove's chocolates! Maybe if I ration.................hummmmmmm...........How big a freezer would I need!!

Maybe if we rent one of those freezer trucks? I wonder if the Storage place has any freezer units...
    Then the next question...fabric or chocolate???

Now I need another freezer, to load up on chocloate...............

First the cost of fabrics is going to go up and now a chocolate shortage. Oh My! What are we going to do?

How can we quilt without chocolate?

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redquilter
    How can we quilt without chocolate?
    Can't.

As I pop in a milk dud I picked up today, Halloween candy was 50% off so bought twice as much:) Not fair costumes was 75% off and decorations 90% (kmart) no material boo hoo

Not chocolate. Sigh. What's next.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    Not chocolate. Sigh. What's next.
    With the luck us quilters seem to be having - it'll be wine!!

Blog Entries
    I heard that on the news, too. I was horrified, followed by deep depression. Ate some chocolate, felt better. Without dark chocolate, I don't think I can make it...

What it means is that if demand doesn't go down, chocolate prices will go up. Instead of hoarding chocolate, maybe we should buy a cocoa tree farm...

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    OK, boys and girls...I just saw this on the news and I'm very worried...they are saying that there could be a chocolate shortage :thumbdown:
    The growers don't want to grow the chocolate plants because other plants are more profitable.
    I wonder how long chocolate would keep if I stocked up now???
    I'm a dark chocolate lover, and I think that that freezes better because of less cocoa butter.
    Life will not be worth living without CHOCOLATE!
    There's another thread already going on about this...don't have the link, but we've been talking about homesteading, etc., in addition to the news I received from our local LQS this evening via email:

"Some news that can't be sugar coated: The price of cotton has gone up and is at it's all time high. There are several reasons for this...briefly, all of the storms and floods in China, Indonesia and other places that grow cotton ruined the crop. India pulled their cotton off the market. China bought up every boll they could find. It appears that now all cotton is owned by China except that which is held by India. China weaves most of the greige goods that our fabric is printed on so guess who holds all the cards in the pricing war? We expect to be selling fabric for as much as $12.00/yard before the end of next year unless a miracle happens. Hopefully someone somewhere is doing something about this problem!

We have also be forewarned that everything else is going up as well ... notions, sewing machines, etc. "

Blog Entries
    NO!!! Say it isn't so!!! :(

I no longer feel like a hoarder.That is so sad.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The chocolate doesnt bother me. Im a diabetic,dont need it anyway. But the fabric is another story. And COFFEE!

Blog Entries
    Oh NO! I can't make it through the day without my dark chocolate fix; even bittersweet chips if all the really good darkest chocolate is gone.

Blog Entries
    BE CAREFUL! It has been know (supply & demand) that a big run on a product could also drive the price up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by quiltnchik
    There's another thread already going on about this...don't have the link, but we've been talking about homesteading, etc., in addition to the news I received from our local LQS this evening via email:

"Some news that can't be sugar coated: The price of cotton has gone up and is at it's all time high. There are several reasons for this...briefly, all of the storms and floods in China, Indonesia and other places that grow cotton ruined the crop. India pulled their cotton off the market. China bought up every boll they could find. It appears that now all cotton is owned by China except that which is held by India. China weaves most of the greige goods that our fabric is printed on so guess who holds all the cards in the pricing war? We expect to be selling fabric for as much as $12.00/yard before the end of next year unless a miracle happens. Hopefully someone somewhere is doing something about this problem!

We have also be forewarned that everything else is going up as well ... notions, sewing machines, etc. "
    I know the "local" quilt shop here already has fabric at $10 a yard so I figure it will go higher than $12 in some locations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsunflower
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltnchik

I know the "local" quilt shop here already has fabric at $10 a yard so I figure it will go higher than $12 in some locations.
    Our LQS is already @ $10, also. JoAnn's is @ $9.00......Oh my, I guess this will never end. :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    Chocolate lasts almost forever. The white coating is called Bloom and doesn't affect the chocolate. Chocolate is good unless it get wormy. Yes, there are chocolate worms! I suggest stocking up on cocoa powder, regular and dutch, and good fudge recipes. Easier to keep and lasts decades.

Quote Originally Posted by OmaForFour
    BE CAREFUL! It has been know (supply & demand) that a big run on a product could also drive the price up. lol
    Well, if the price goes up they'll keep making it because it will then be more profitable than whatever they were going to grow instead. So first we should buy the cocoa orchard or farm at a low price and maybe stock in a good freezer company, Hoard as much chocolate as we can to ride out the price hike from the price going up, then by the time our freezers are getting empty the prices will have come back down and we can buy it at a normal price. And the cocoa producers may have learned not to abandon us.