Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Houseplant rooting find

Houseplant rooting find

I have some houseplant cuttings in water in my garden window. I notice something wiggling in the water. Hmmm, mosquito larva. That would explain the few Mosquitos flying around in the house. Next year I'll remember to rinse the cuttings when I bring them inside in the fall.
    (\ (\
    (>':')
    (,( )( )

Oh yuck! I hate skeeters. They love me though. Good thing you found them before they start making a meal out of you.

Power Poster
    Good grief! Not enough that we have to watch for the little blood suckers in the summer.....now they have learned to vacation indoors.

Love Tartan's response!
    June

When I bring my plants indoors for the winter I put them into a room and throw a couple bug bombs in with them keeping the door closed with a towel at the bottom crack. I leave them in the room for the entire day, wait another week and do it again for any eggs that might have been laid in the dirt. Throw another bug bomb in with them. Seems to kill most of the bugs and their larva. I'll have a few bugs that get past this procedure but not many. My sister uses some garden chemical that starts with an "M", pours it into the pots till it pours out the bottom. Something called like myathane, spelling not correct.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    When I bring my plants indoors for the winter I put them into a room and throw a couple bug bombs in with them keeping the door closed with a towel at the bottom crack. I leave them in the room for the entire day, wait another week and do it again for any eggs that might have been laid in the dirt. Throw another bug bomb in with them. Seems to kill most of the bugs and their larva.
    I did the bug bomb thing in my garage. Sure killed all those flies and asian beetles. Swept them all up the next day. And the next day, And the next day. I kept finding dead somethings for weeks. Six months later I was still finding flies in the window sills with their wiggling legs up in the air. They had been poisoned. And I found dead flies in my breezeway, which has a door into the garage, but the jam around it had never been completely sealed.
    There is just one door between that breezeway and my house.
    I would never use that stuff in my house. It says it is safe for humans. I don't believe that.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Snoose2978, Malathion, is a pesticide that can be used on indoor plants. I used it for spider mites. It worked very well.

Can you put the plant in a plastic bag with the bug bomb inside and tie the bag closed? That should contain the dead bugs and keep them out of the house. Maybe the bug bomb would be too strong.
    Sue

I called our local garden house before bringing plants in last year and they recommended....
    2 squirts of dish soap
    2 capfuls of rubbing alcohol
    1 quart of water

Bring plants into the garage. Spray leaves and dirt generously with the above and then leave in garage for 2 days before bringing into the house.
    It has worked for me.

Power Poster
    WOW...Good thing you noticed them...