Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How can I transport pies without damaging crust??? >

How can I transport pies without damaging crust???

How can I transport pies without damaging crust???

Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Default How can I transport pies without damaging crust???

I make pies for family gatherings, and I have to transport them a couple of hours to their destination. I think the crust is a really important point of presentation, but they get bumped and broken and. . . How can I protect the crusts? I have left this really late, and I need to take 3 pies this coming Sunday.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:13 PM

I have a pie carrier that works for me. I think any cake carrier would work. I set my pies after baking in a pretty pie plate dish and that protects the crust.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:17 PM

If I have to take a pie somewhere, I use a cardboard box that is bigger than the pie, then I use batting to cushion it so the crust is protected from sliding. You have to get creative on how you mound/pile/wrap the batting, but it works.
I keep the box and batting for re-use. I do the same thing for my slow cooker, so I can transport it with food in it and don't have to worry about it spilling out.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:25 PM

I would use a laundry basket, fill the room in bottom of basket between pie and sides of basket with hand towels, a sheet, whatever , leaving enough room to set pie(s) in the middle, so it won’t move. You may need a basket for each pie or if your baskets are the big rectangular ones, maybe 2 will fit in a basket.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I bought pie carriers/keepers from Tupperware years ago and still use them.

I bought some white and blue ones w/snap shut lids from Walmart. Target may sell them too. In case you don't shop at Walmart. One per pie and you don't have to mess with them until time to take them out.

I use them every Thanksgiving for 5 pumpkin pies.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 PM

I use my cast iron skillets. You can pick up and carry with handle as balance. I put a thin towel in skillet, put in pie, then cover with towel ends. You use the towel to lift out. Any skillet would work. If they slide in car on floor, the skillet bangs, but the pie is protected. Just remember to use something to protect upholstery from any grease on bottom of skillet. I think I put the skillet/pies in a box or computer paper box lid. It has been a long time since I have done this, but it does work.

Last edited by yngldy; 12-19-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Just transport it to my house and I promise I won't complain about a broken crust.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Just transport it to my house and I promise I won't complain about a broken crust.
Nice comeback!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

I have the Tupperware cake/pie container and I use that. If you can find a cardboard box about the same size as the pies, you can make layers by cutting think cardboard squares to go between the pies. Then you need to put 2 inch high spacers in the corners under the cardboards. ( chunks of styrofoam would work well.)
Old 12-20-2017, 04:46 AM

Keep an eye out for the Tupperware spacers when you are at thrift stores. They are really handy for pies but alos other things you want to utilize space. You can stack pies in a box or picnic basket with those. I like Tartan's idea using an appropriate size box with the styrofoam in the corners. (I keep styrofoam from shipping boxes to use in the basement to keep containers off the floor and having moisture accumulate under them.)