Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How can one tell if their dog needs a buddy? >

How can one tell if their dog needs a buddy?

How can one tell if their dog needs a buddy?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM

I think that if you really are thinking of getting another dog, I would test drive them first. Good idea to have the future DIL's dog over. Our dog is only 2 and he sleeps a lot during the day too!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Karla, I agree with what the others say.
I think she is just "bored" from it being winter, maybe?
Does she tolerate being around the horses or go for walks with you and them when you go? Maybe something you could try to incorporate if she doesn't already do that.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM

When it's nice out she'll go for walks with us--long walks. She doesn't hang out with the horses, and I don't encourage it really. I try to get her to come in the barn--but I guess that's where she first became terrified of lightning, so she won't go in there--not a step.

When we have taken her to the vet--which is seldom because the vet does what she needs when he/she is here for horses--she hates the other dogs--and barks and barks. I think she's scared of them.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM

I think as long as she seems happy, I would leave well enough alone. If she doesn't like other dogs, then I wouldn't bring another in to be her "buddy". I think that's asking for trouble as was said by someone else.
I think as long as she seems happy, gets the love and attention she craves, then all is fine. Like they say...don't fix what ain't broke.
But, I know what you mean by thinking she is lonely because Suzy is gone....
Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 PM

But, then I remember she didn't hang out with Suzy the last months. They didn't sleep together at all. Jenny's dog has been here before--and stayed in the truck--and Shimano went nuts barking. Suzy was here then. She's really never been exposed to any other dogs besides Suzy. I think it'd disrupt her quiet life to make a change?

Thanks for letting me talk it out. :-D
Old 01-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

When we lost our two in 2005 (one to cancer, the other to old age), we ended up getting two from the pound. Heidi and Molly. Molly (in hindsight) was a nut case and she ended up running away and getting killed. She always forced herself on Heidi. Poor girl tried to crawl in our pockets to get away from the wiggle butt. After we lost Molly, we got Sadie - same breed as Heidi, just a bit younger and those two play incessantly. Both of them instigate the play and it is easy to tell that they are happy together.

I'm not sure that I would upset the routine of an 11-year old senior citizen dog. Can either of the humans in the household include him more so he isn't alone as much?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

I've just always had 2 to keep each other company when we are not home.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM

From what I've seen, there are some that prefer to be the only dog, but for the most part dogs are pack animals. They need companionship. My dogs bark(ed) at other dogs they'd see come to the animal hospital, but bring the dogs to them and they'd be happy.

In another post you mentioned the animal shelter. The place around here has a place for the potential family and pets to be together for a while to see how they get along. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised it they not only allowed but insisted you bring your other dog to see how they get along.

When we had just Mahana and wanted to get another Doberman, the rescue group had us bring her in to see how she reacted to the others, one at a time.
We tried one for the weekend but he wasn't right for her, so, crying, we took him back. As you know, we did find another (and another!) and she was very happy! She seemed content to be an only dog with some visits from our parents poodle, but she sure loved her new sisters. (Unless they took the prime spot on the couch. . .)

Just my two cents worth...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM

We had 2 dogs, Jack and Floppy, they were together since they were 6 mos. old. Jack passed away at 15 and Floppy grieved for about 5 months. Because of her age, we really didn't think she would tolerate another dog well but she seemed kind of at odds with herself so we decided another furry body might be just the ticket and got a cat. We named him Buddy and although they are not close companions, they get along well. Buddy has to be outside if Floppy is outside and I notice he looks after her if he senses she is nervous. Floppy turned 18 this month and is doing well so I think I made a good decision.

She is not the same dog she was when Jack was alive though. Her habits have changed, and I found, in talking with other dog owners who had companion pets, that's not unusual when one companion dies.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM

for 48 years we thought it was important for our pets to have company. HAH!!!
none of them ever even liked each other and when our tenzing died, shuju practically sang and danced. she started bouncing around like she never did before. she gained weight and smiled all day long. she lived another 5.5 years as a very happy only child, which she should have been all along, i guess.

your dog may have been expecting this. your other dog was sick a long time, and i believe they can sense that. if she isn't losing weight, eating as usual, and isn't depressed or crying, i say let it be. she'll tell you when she's unhappy. but it doesn't sound like it'll be about this.

does your dog need a buddy or does karla need a buddy?