Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Clean is Clean Enough - when it comes to one's home >

How Clean is Clean Enough - when it comes to one's home

How Clean is Clean Enough - when it comes to one's home

Old 12-15-2017, 11:36 PM

I like for my kitchen and bathroom to be clean. My other areas are usually cluttered. My thoughts are that you are always welcome to drop by for a visit but if you are coming to see my house, don't bother to come.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:39 AM

I’m afraid I’m sort of a neat nick...I clean regularly. We live in a home built in the late 1700s and during the winter months it gets rather dusty (maybe the furnace heating system)...not sure why so I sweep hardwood floors constantly. We also entertain about once a week so I keep my counters cleared and bathrooms cleaned.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:56 AM

Have you ever seen in an obituary "she was a meticulous housekeeper"?

Clean enough to be healthy but enjoyable!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:21 AM

I like my home to be clean and neat so I try to maintain it that way and not let things get out of hand. So, I have a bit of a schedule that is ongoing. I pick up clutter every day, clean the kitchen daily, bathrooms are ongoing. I never have messy drawers or cupboards. My husband does the floors and I do most of the rest. I keep the laundry, ironing and mending done. I have a bit of problem keeping the 'paper work' up to date. My sewing room is out of sight so if it has scraps and threads from a project, no one sees it unless I invite them into it-I let my sewing friends in because they understand. I like things clean and neat but I like to enjoy life and people.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:42 AM

You definitely cannot eat off my floors (but that's mostly the previous owner's fault. He put slate tile in the kitchen but used the wrong kind of grout and it is constantly flaking. I am hoping to renovate the kitchen in spring and that tile will be gone!!) Dishes done every evening and main floor bathroom always clean. If someone uses our ensuite and complains about anything, well, they just didn't visit on the right day of the week! Vacuuming is once a week and no one touches my sewing room but me!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Enough that I would not feel embarrassed to have a friend drop by.
I’m with you, Kitsie!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:25 AM

You could eat off my floor if you don’t mind dog hair in your food! LOL. I have a cleaning service come every other week, so the house is presentable about half the time. There are too many other things I want to do besides cleaning house.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 AM

I'm with others that are in the 'clean enough' category as well as my standards having slipped over the years. Mostly due to DH's 'stuff' that just accumulates constantly. We have a very odd schedule that we are frequently just in/out in a heartbeat so I understand some of the stuff accumulating on a constant basis but, really, it does need to be dealt with at some point. I do that with all the paperwork that comes into the house and my own 'stuff' but make DH deal with his. Most of the time for him that just means moving it from one spot to another. That generally does not work for me. I've threatened to move to a hotel until he cleans up his 'droppings'. I refuse to clean around 'clutter'. So, if you leave your clutter all over the play - you're not going to have a clean house.

Otherwise, vacuuming when the doggie tumbleweeds start to show; wiping kitchen counters is an obsession. Dusting when you can write in it. Bathrooms as needed and laundry is pretty much constant.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:27 AM

As bearisgray said, beds made and dishes washed and put away.

I do the floors when they get crunchy (have 2 cats so cat litter can be an issue).

TxDot is rebuilding and increasing the lanes on the freeway close to my house. Even with windows closed we get a lot of dust so I don't bother to dust unless company is coming and then only minimally - at least that is the excuse I use for not dusting.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was Phyllis Diller who said to keep some get well cards to put out when company came so they would think you had been ill and not able to clean. A friend of mine used to keep cleaning supplies in a bucket and when her mother showed up would greet her at the door saying she was just getting ready to clean. She would vary it with the vacuum cleaner or broom and dust pan.

My philosophy - as long as I am happy and the health department is not knocking on the door, it is good!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:47 AM

It all depends on who is coming over how clean my house needs to be. I'm not very picky. My DH is a slob. He sets stuff everywhere. It drives me nuts. I cleaned off the mess on the kitchen table on Wednesday. He uses one end as a desk. (not sure why as we have 5 empty bedrooms.) I was going to bake cookies with the grandkids last night. He had it covered with junk again.