How did you handle it?

Old 05-08-2017, 06:15 AM
Banned

How much of each do you REALLY need to keep on-hand to enjoy each hobby? Decide that, and clear the rest out.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Both fabric and yarn are getting darned expensive so think of your supply as your craft bank. Any things that no longer interest you can be donated to a charity shop.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 AM

We have this issue with Mom. She cannot possibly use all the craft supplies she has. But, it makes her happy to have them available. So we will sort, sell or donate when she has gone. We have a good idea where to send the donated items. Just so much to go thru but it is serving it's purpose now. So we won't rock the boat
Old 05-08-2017, 07:39 AM

I am having a yard sale the end of the month to sell my quilting book library. Will charge $10.00 each. I have about 60 books. I just don't want to have the library sell them for 25 cents apiece.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Well I find myself with the same problem. At 78 my home is full of crafting,painting, sewing,quilting,books,cooking and gardening tools. DH told me he thought we need to start getting rid of a lot of stuff and I had a fit, not my stuff. Now after giving it a lot of thought he is right and I have more than I can do in this lifetime. DD said she will use most of it as we have the love for the same hobby's but there is so much she couldn't begin to take it all. I know when I let go of something that is what I will need with my next project but I need to start somewhere.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

I use to crossstitch, crochet, and draw before quilting. I gave the supplies away. (I kept my grandmother's crochet hooks and tatting shuttles.) Last week I got the urge to crochet a dishcloth so went to the store and bought a skein of cotton yarn, enough to make two cloths. I didn't have to dig out my bins, search for what I needed and put it all away again. I don't have the save for later I may need it one day mindset (except for money LOL) I do have a quilting stash because I use from it continually, not have it stored and not used. I can't tolerate stored clutter.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 AM

OMG you sound like me. Im74 and my problem is finding the time to do all I want to do. I like to quilt, read, knit and practice my piano plus in winter I love snowshoeing, xx skiing, and when conditions are right ice skate. I gave up crafts a few years ago as that does require so many different supplies. I try to divide the day up into sections and do my hobbies in a select time frame. But I'm always saying I need 36 hr days and 9 days in a week. Lol
Old 05-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Oh boy... I'm younger than most of you, but I think about this all the time, especially since I have no children or anyone else to pass things down to. Unfortunately my only niece (who is 20) did not inherit any crafty genes from my side of the family.

All I can say is, over the years if I've decided that I'm not going to do a particular craft anymore, and I get rid of that stuff, I have always regretted it. About 20 years ago I said I was too slow a knitter to continue and got rid of everything knitting related. So what am I doing now? Knitting, of course. Still slowly, but still enjoying it.

So if I can possibly find a little nook or cranny to keep my stuff, I keep it. The things I use the most get prime placement, and everything else is not so easily accessible. But I've become very creative with the use of closet space.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I say do what pleases you. If you can afford it, and have the space, have fun. I have little space, but feel lucky to have a room for sewing,even if it is actually half the bedroom. Jim never complains, and compliments me and my abilities often. I used to worry about the "horn" too. (turned 63 in Feb.)I wondered who would pick up where I left off. Now it does not bother me. I will go when called. (guess that is why I have so many UFO's). :-)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM

The only thing I have gotten rid of and never regretted was my painting supplies (I have no talent when it comes to painting and hated everything I did). My crochet and sewing take up the rest of the room and when I am gone then my family can do with it as they please. When we tried to get my mom to down size it was because she and my dad saved every plastic bag they brought home and didn't repurpose. (There were so many bags of bags it was crazy - but the thrift store said they wanted them, they would repurpose them.) And my mom had a different color of Keds for every pair of pants she owned, but stopped wearing Keds when they didn't give her the support she needed. They collected art and had so much every room in the house was covered, and under all the beds and in all the closets, etc. But it meant something to them so my sisters and I never said word one. They had so many little bronze statutes we gave them to people that admired them. (Oh and they had every check they wrote in 59 years and the pay checks. You never know when you will need that check from 1952 for groceries.....)

A friend of mine collected antique furniture - all different kinds, but she has a room so full, it is stacked and and hanging in the garage, etc. Her daughter told her to get rid of it because she didn't want to deal with it when she is gone. It upset my friend and I said to enjoy it and ignore her. Once she is gone, that if her daughter is foolish enough to just give it away, so be it, it will make someone else happy. But if my friend ever needs the money, she can sell it knowing it won't matter to anyone else.

I am 62, no one knows when the horn is going to blow, so enjoy what you can and what happens after won't really matter.