Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How Do You Austin TX Gals Ever Find Your Way Around? >

How Do You Austin TX Gals Ever Find Your Way Around?

How Do You Austin TX Gals Ever Find Your Way Around?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Good grief, I thought CA had a lot of "suburbs", which we do, but they are right on top of one another, but the towns are really spread out around here!

I'm here visiting for a week, going to eat at the Salt Lick on Wednesday morning and do a little quilt shop hopping with ladies I've never met before.

Anyone in the area care to join us, you are certainly welcome!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Just watch out for those toll roads; very sneaky.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Oh, you HAVE to go to Chuy's on 183, sit on the patio if the temps are under 85 degrees!!

Man, I miss that place!

Jan in VA
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by lalaland
Good grief, I thought CA had a lot of "suburbs", which we do, but they are right on top of one another, but the towns are really spread out around here!

I'm here visiting for a week, going to eat at the Salt Lick on Wednesday morning and do a little quilt shop hopping with ladies I've never met before.

Anyone in the area care to join us, you are certainly welcome!
Good Grief ! is right. My sister lives in Austin. I went to visit her, and I wanted to go to the store, so I ask how far it was to the store. She said, "right down the street" Well, her "right down the street" was 5 miles away.
My brother who lives in Dallas is even worse. His "right around the corner" is 10 miles away.
If I were in Texas, I would join you too.
syl
Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Yummmmy! The Salt Lick is one of my favorite BBQ places. They sell bottles of their wonderful, vinegary sauce. Be sure to take cash for your lunch and anything else you might want to buy there. They don't take credit cards. There is an ATM their but I'm sure you would pay fees to it and your bank.

Wish I could join you. What quilt stores do you plan to visit?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Oh, you HAVE to go to Chuy's on 183, sit on the patio if the temps are under 85 degrees!!

Man, I miss that place!

Jan in VA
Chuy's is right down the street, my son goes there for the nachos. We went to some taco place the other night, can't remember the name of it, i got a sesame encrusted seared Ahi tuna taco that was awesome!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Yummmmy! The Salt Lick is one of my favorite BBQ places. They sell bottles of their wonderful, vinegary sauce. Be sure to take cash for your lunch and anything else you might want to buy there. They don't take credit cards. There is an ATM their but I'm sure you would pay fees to it and your bank.

Wish I could join you. What quilt stores do you plan to visit?
I've been hanging onto my cash since I got here, now I know why! There's a new place in Dripping Springs. After that we plan to go to Buda, B&B Quilting, and maybe Joann Fabric since I forgot to pack a small cutting mat and need one.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 PM

If you have time to get there, New Braunfels has a great LQS,
the Quilt Haus which has a large selection of fabric. There is also a smaller, quaint store called Oak Leaf Quilts. New Braunfels is a great town with many things to see and do. You could go to Gruene for great antiques and food (the Grist Mill) and a famous dance hall (Gruene Hall). With this hot weather we are having, you would find it a great place for water activities: tubing or Schlitterbaun (not sure I spelled that right) which is a huge water park.

This area (New Braunfels, San Antonio and the surrounding area) is my stomping ground, so feel free to contact me if you have any questions and I'll try to help. Have a great visit. Sorry about the heat and the awful drought we are having.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 AM

In Texas 5-20 miles is right around the corner...lol. Enjoy! My kids went to UT and we suffered through all the highway construction. Love that place! Yes, the Quilt Haus is wonderful!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 AM

You've got to go to two of my favorite places. Austin Sewing in Round Rock (you can find them at www.austinsewing.com) and the Honeybee Quilt Store on Anderson Mill in Austin(http://www.honeybeequiltstore.com). Great people in both places and well worth the visit.

This is TEXAS. Anything under 100 miles is considered close. Bring your sunscreen. Temperatures are hot and you aren't likely to have any rain to worry about.