Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How do you handle microbeads?

How do you handle microbeads?

I got those light weight squishy micro beads on line. They make wonderful squishy pillows but am looking for an easy way to fill the bladder insert. Those pesky beads are full of static and stick to anything. Is there an easy way to fill an object? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Where do you buy these beads? I would love to order some....

I would try using a wide neck funnel ... jj

Blog Entries
    You can pick up a can of *Static Guard* in the laundry isle of the grocery store, with the starch & sizing. Cut a piece of heavy paper big enough to create a funnel, spray it with static guard then fold & tape it. The beads should run right thru the funnel without sticking. You can spray the fabric, bladder too if needed. I keep *static guard on hand always, can sure come in handy sometimes.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    You can pick up a can of *Static Guard* in the laundry isle of the grocery store, with the starch & sizing. Cut a piece of heavy paper big enough to create a funnel, spray it with static guard then fold & tape it. The beads should run right thru the funnel without sticking. You can spray the fabric, bladder too if needed. I keep *static guard on hand always, can sure come in handy sometimes.
    What a great idea! I have gotten rid of static in clothes, especially knit pants, by rubbing a fabric drying sheet on them. I don't know if it would work for dumping the beads. I was wondering if using freezer paper as the funnel would help cut the static? It is waxed and shouldn't create more friction, which in turn could create static.

I remember buying one of those pillows before and it seems to be that the beads were encased in a soft, pliable bag in the pillow. That still doesn't solve the problem of how to get them into the bag, but at least you could leave a larger opening, fill and then sew along the outside seam. Then you slip that into a smaller opening of the actual pillow covering. I'm thinking, put your inner bag inside something like a bowl or pot to hold it up and pour gently. You have to get rid of the static on your hands before you start. Hand lotion may do the trick. Wetting one of the dryer sheets and using it on your hands might work. I am really looking forward to learning what worked. Please let us know.

Another very interesting thread here.

Edited to add: If you use a zipper with a large flange in the pillow you are filling and use the inner bag method, there should be no problem getting the larger, bed filled bag into the outer bag. Please show us pics after you are done.

Happy Sewing to you!
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-28-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Wipe all surfaces that will come in touch with the beads with fabric softener sheets.

Would a paper funnel work? I use a paper funnel with my lavender and it works very well, but there's no static in lavender.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

Blog Entries
    how about putting a fabric softener sheet into the bead container and stirring it around, leave it in for a little while? Have you asked the manufacturer of the beads for tips?

A sprinkling of corn starch.