Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How much wood can a woodchuck

Blog Entries

How much wood can a woodchuck

Has anyone had trouble with an unwelcome woodchuck at their house? I have a woodchuck (or maybe two, I don't know) that has burrowed two entry/exit holes under a large concrete step going to my house. What is the best way to get rid of him?

try dropping some moth balls down his holes if all else fails a live trap and relocate .

My son-in-law live trapped a big ol' woodchuck and got it the first night he put the trap down. Used apples for bait and relocated to riverbank a couple miles away. We're waiting to see if he can find his way back. Good luck!!

A woodchuck can chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck IF a woodchuck could chuck wood!
    LOL, just had to do this!!!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking the same thing. And spoke with my aunt the other day. A family of skunks found there way under her shed. Her DGS set a live trap wjith some eggs and whatever else they eat. They tossed a tarp over the trap and moved it else where. Then they had to figure out how to get the skunk out of the trap. After that they grabbed the tarp and ran. When they got backto her house they found another family. LOL! Repeat!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
    A woodchuck can chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck IF a woodchuck could chuck wood!
    LOL, just had to do this!!!

I remember that one! "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" In my part of the country, we call them groundhogs. We've used canned sardines to catch raccoons--might also work as bait for the 'woodchucks'. In a catch & release trap. They can cause damage to your foundation.

I had racoons make there daily round at night in my mobile home. Nothing worked but I eventually moved.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    we had a raccoon and a possum sleep on our front steps at night. it was an apartment so it was our only door. he'd bang on the door for food!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

We have herds of them all over the place! I have no clue as to how to get rid of them. We kind of coexist somewhat peacefully. The dogs usually keep them out of the yard but they are everywhere else. I doubt there is one and not sure how successful trap & release elsewhere will be. Good luck though.

We've had groundhogs (aka woodchucks) living under our tool shed for 24 years!! For a long time I trapped them. The town animal control officer would come by and take them to a wooded area. If you trap it at the right time in the season, no other groundhogs will move in because they all have their own homes established. (I forget what that time is exactly). If you wait too long, they will probably have babies and then you have to trap them too. (been there, done that). Now that my kids have grown and we don't spend as much time in the back yard, I've let the ground hogs be. It's a pain to trap them. In my state, I think it's illegal to catch raccoons and possums to I had to be very careful to close the trap every night.

I had great trouble with a groundhog who took up residence under the wood shed. I tried every bait imaginable, anything recommended and he avoided every one of them and continued to come and pick my tomatoes before I could harvest a ripe one. However, I certainly captured several nasty Possums. All Possums are nasty outfits and vicious too. Also very stinky. I took each one far away from dwellings and released. To my way of thinking, Possums are our WV road-kill finalists. I sometimes wonder how so many are still running around alive.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I remember that one! "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
    I learned it with "would" instead of "could": How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I learned it with "would" instead of "could": How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood.
    Location, location, location--LOL

I got rid of ours by mixing Cayenne pepper the dirt & a little down the hole where they burrow in & out. Haven't had a problem since & that was years ago.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    I got rid of ours by mixing Cayenne pepper the dirt & a little down the hole where they burrow in & out. Haven't had a problem since & that was years ago.

Interesting!!!! I am going to try this. Thanks!

Power Poster
    They can be hard to get rid of..I would try trapping them and then relocate them..

I live on a lake and we laugh about trapping groundhogs and taking them across the bridge to relocate. Those that live on the other side of the bridge trap theirs and bring them back to our area to relocate. We just trade groundhogs. lol

woodchucks can cause much damage. my neighbor trapped them . I also have a neighbor dog that 'takes care' of them !!! sounds like the cayenne pepper would be a good solution.

We have rock chucks. My husband shoots every one of them that he can. They can burrow under a foundation and make it fail. Last year we had trouble with woodpeckers. I tried running them off over and over but they kept coming back. It ended up costing us several thousand dollars in repair bills. Knock on wood, we have not had them this year, but if we do they'd better look out. I cannot see allowing any animal around that destroys something that we work so hard to pay for and maintain.

Blog Entries
    We've had a dog "take care" of one a couple of different times. Good dog. For skunks, I've heard that a radio played with loud base setting drives them away.
    Mavis

We had a raccoon in our back yard for several weeks before he left. He made quite a mess under my daughter's bedroom window. Found out later that the state DNR would have trapped him and taken him far away.