Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to tell boy vs girl kittens.... >

How to tell boy vs girl kittens....

How to tell boy vs girl kittens....

Old 09-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Hmmmmm...... sometime this summer we had two cute little kittens appear. We think a wild stray we've been feeding is the mama. Anyway, they might around 5 months old. We thought they were a boy and girl - he's obviously bigger, bigger pawed and you can see testicles. "She" is much finer boned - just like a lot of female cats. And she didn't have testicles.... until now. Or are they? It's not like his end, but there does seem to be a little sack there now. The female we have is so furry that I could never look to compare.

What do you know in your experience? Could our little female be a late blooming male?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Late bloomers do happen.......

A funny story...... I had a GF that was a conutry girl, she knew how to tell the boy kitties from the girl kitties..... She had this GIRL kitty for several years. She thought she was just lucky not to have any babies, as GIRL kitty was an indoor/outdoor kitty.....One day she was petting GIRL ( yes thats her name ) and she noticed that GIRL kitty had some big cuckle burrs ( it's a country thang... for u big city ppl, they are like HUGE grass ( or sand) burrs , aka... stickers) Well, she knew it was gonna pull the hair soemthing fierce, since GIRL kitty had such long, fluffy fur. So she grabbed hold of those burrs and gave a MIGHTY YANK ( thats Texan for PULLED)...... At that moment, she relized WHY there had been NO babies... GIRL was a BOY !!!!! GIRL did not appreciate things being PULLED !!!! hehehehe... we have never let her live it down.....

without looking or " feeling " I dont know of a way to know for sure....
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM

You can tell kittens sex as soon as they are born, before the testicles start to show. If the kitten is a boy, his bottom will look like two dots. One is the anus and one is where his penis hides. On the girls you will see a dot and a slit. I had it described to me once as as looking like a colon or a semi-colon. The boy being a colon and the girl a semi-colon. You can tell this at birth so by 5 months it should be easy for you to tell. If there is a slit, you have a girl. If not, then it's a boy.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM

One sure way is to look at the very back end...males have only anus...females have anus and vagina.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:34 PM

I don't know how but sure hope those little kiddies are "fixed"... they can sure multiply fast...

We had neighbors that "left" their little kitty and before we knew it we had a litter of little kitties under their empty house..

I managed to trap them including the momma, brought the little one's to the vet. He was kind enough to help find homes for them..the mama was fixed and a home found for her too..
Old 09-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

ha, ha. we took in a mamma cat and her two kittens. one was very small with dark around her eyes, like Cleopatra. the other kitty was big, muscular and interested in her mamma's rear end after awhile. both kittens were hard to get near. afraid. i finally got them into the Vet's to be fixed. found out the big kitten was not a boy after all!! he was a she. i'd named her Buddy (for brother) and had to change it to Buddie, then to BuddieRose or Rosie.
the vet is the one i let tell me what the cats are if I can't tell.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Did she have a sex change operation? (hehehe)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Hmmmmm...... sometime this summer we had two cute little kittens appear. We think a wild stray we've been feeding is the mama. Anyway, they might around 5 months old. We thought they were a boy and girl - he's obviously bigger, bigger pawed and you can see testicles. "She" is much finer boned - just like a lot of female cats. And she didn't have testicles.... until now. Or are they? It's not like his end, but there does seem to be a little sack there now. The female we have is so furry that I could never look to compare.

What do you know in your experience? Could our little female be a late blooming male?
That is so funny. Years ago we had a mother cat give birth in the barn. After 6 months we were able to catch her plus her two kittens and set appointments for 3 spayings. Little did we know the long haired cat was a male. The vet called and asked if we were sure we wanted all three cats neutured because we brought in two females and one male, not 3 females. That fur covered up the parts that were testicles. Cute as a button they were. All past away now.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure she is a he now. He just looks so feminine... especially next to her.. I mean his brother. And yes, they will be neutered soon. Any stray that seems to make this their home will get altered. I wish we could catch the mama. Eventually they usually wind up on our bed too. Dh has already made comments about them coming in at some point. We already have an older female with kidney failure and a male with fiv (both strays at one point). Not sure how well it will work with 3 males in the house. (The vet and online info both agree that transmitting fiv is not typical. It would have to come from serious bite wounds. - which just makes introducing them properly all the more important!)