Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How warm do you keep your house?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Inside temp is 73 most days. Our house is so small we just use a electric heater when one of us is home. The dogs have fluffy coats and fluffy bedding. Most times I walk around barefoot or maybe pair of socks if it gets too chilly.

Blog Entries
    We converted a bedroom to a tv room and heat it in the winter with a small electric heater, it's cheaper than heating the whole house. Same thing for my sewing room, just heated when I'm using it.

Winter temp is 68 and summer is 75, as I get older I find I do not tolerate heat as well.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

76 year round... and I have five layers of covers on the bed.

I used to be hot all of the time... then I lost 112 pounds and haven't been warm since.

At my age now I refuse to be uncomfortable. I cut back on heat and no a/c when I was younger.
    I keep it about 72-74 in winter, 64-68 in summer.
    I also have small dogs and most of all my Cockatiel needs warmth, my cats prefer warmth too.
    I use an electric heater for the bird.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

We keep it at 72 degrees and 67 degrees at night. If it is freezing outside, we just wear warmer clothes or put an extra quilt on the bed. The temp outside should not affect us if the temp inside stays the same, but somehow it does. We are older now and temperature does affect us more than it used to.

When we lived in Oregon it was 68 during the day and 63 at night. I remember a visit from my father-in-law who lived in Tucson and we turned it up to 73 and he bitterly complained to me that 'it was so cold in here it was a wonder the pipes don't freeze'. I remember calling my husband at work, nearly in tears, telling him about the conversation, so when he got home he asked his Dad if he was comfortable and staying warm enough. The answer 'yes - the temperature was pretty good and if he put his sweats on it was 'real comfortable'. Grrrrrrr! Now we live in Arizona and the temperature is kept at 72 since our blood has thinned and we need it warmer.

Who needs a quilt when your house is 72°?

Blog Entries
    pretty much 72* year round. We are quilters, after all, and I feel if it needs to be warmer, put on another quilt.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

It depends on the day really. We head with wood so if it is too warm, say 50 or so during the day and sunny, we do not keep the stove going. It can get up to 80 in here with no problems and I love that. Our wood stove is in the dining room and the living room is not directly off the dining room, so it is about 10 degrees cooler in the living room. In the summer, we have air conditioners but not downstairs so it tends to get REALLY hot in here!

We live in central Florida. We keep our house AC at 80 (78 when we're cleaning) and that's comfortable. It's a lot easier to go in and out when the temperature is closer to the outside temp. The AC takes out the humidity. In the winter we keep the furnace around 68 and turn it off at night so we can enjoy our flannel sheets and open windows. After living in the south for many years I just can't stand heavy blankets and comforters. We put flannel sheets on the bed, then I cut a large fleece blanket in half and put a half at the bottom of each side of the bed. Whoever gets cold first simply pulls up his/her half of the blanket.

Blog Entries
    We put our central heat and air on whatever we need it at on any given day. Most of the time 72, but on really hot days, down to 71 or really cold days with wind blowing up to 73. We also have ceiling fans in living room, and both bedrooms to circulate air better.

Because of my RA I have to keep ours at 75 or the pain starts to get to me. We keep the air condition at 78.

Blog Entries
    *** Upstate South Carolina
    *** 65 at night (like it cool)
    *** 68 - 70 -72 in day time (whatever feels comfortable)
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    I have it at 72. It's a touch cool for me, but it's nice for sleeping under a warm quilt! In the summer, it's usually at 76 or 78.
    72 AND under a quilt????? Just the thought of that makes me sweat!!!!! 64 is our prefered temp. 65 on extremely cold, 10 degrees and windy, days.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    Our house has 6" of insulation in the exterior walls as well as the floors and ceiling. So the house stays very comfy usually. When the weather gets in the 20's and below we raise the heat up higher.
    I made a mistake in the amount of insulation in the attic. It's 21" of the pink stuff up there.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    My heat pump is set at 68, and we keep it there year round unless we turn it off in spring and fall. I also sleep under a fan to stay cool, with a flannel sheet in a t-shirt nightie only. DH says I was a polar bear in a past life. Lol!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Sixty-eight in the winter months. Summer months -- Central AC is on 72, with ceiling fans in every room and a couple of small window units in bedrooms for the really hot days.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I moved from the 200 yr old farm cottage in July. My new lodging has 10 foot ceilings and I worry about how cold it will be inside this winter. I am trying to acclimate to 70 daytime as the weather cools. And will likely use my ceramic heater in the living room often this winter.

This summer I maintained daytime at 75 unless I was working hard doing something and working up a sweat. (That's not hard to do for me; I sweat and breathe hard just walking to the mailbox!! )

Nights are currently at 67 with a bump up to 72 just before I get up and shower, then drops to 70.

I am, of necessity, mostly sedentary and that often makes my hands and ears, at least, stay cold in the winter.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

....72 in winter and 75 in summer.....my logic is if I can't be comfortable in my own home where then......and those numbers are my comfort level....no heating pads or extra heaters in winter or extra a/c units in summer....electricity is more expensive than natural gas. Many yrs ago my DH owned a barber shop ans was told to keep the thermostat at the same number even when not in shop, because if lowered or raised then adjusted when occupied, more energy is used to bring that temp to desired number, thus not really cost effective.....

great thread, amazing our differences! I remember my folks always froze up here after they'd been snowbirding in Arizona.

We use ceiling fans when the summer temperatures get high, no air conditioning here. In fall when we start using the thermostat again, it is set at 71 and turned down to 64-65 at night. We used 69 for many years, but our blood is thinner now

We keep ours set at 62 at night and 68 during the day except summer then we keep it around 76. All summer and winter I wear sweats because the air conditioning freezes me and makes fibro Fred miserable.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    We just bought an energy efficient furnace and central air system to replace an 18 yr old system last November. Heat is on 67 during the day. Night is 65. Fan runs on low continually. (Yes, it takes electricity, but it keeps a constant temp throughout the house.) We have a humidifier on our system that runs during the winter, and a dehumidifier during the summer. Which means the furnace or central air system rarely kicks in. In the summer the air is on 76-78 24/7. Our monthly budget bill for gas and electric totals 113, whereas before it was over 230 per month in winter and hottest month of summer. It paid to have it replaced. It will have paid for itself in less than 4 years, but we are sooooo comfortable year round. We live in Wisconsin, so we know what cold is.
    We used to have an electric mattress pad I had to have on. That was with our old system. Last year I never put it on the bed. We have a wood fireplace but dont use it due to asthma. The floors are always warm, we can breathe because it isn't too dry or damp, and our skin is even much improved. It was a chunk to dish out to pay for it, but oh so worth it.

Jan in VA==how about some quilts on the windows and also over doorways that aren't used that often? I have seen this done and if I needed it, I would try it.
    Last edited by NanaCsews2; 11-09-2015 at 04:38 PM.

It's funny ready the various responses. As the trend goes, I really believe it depends on where you live and what is the normal temp for the area. If you live in TX your normal temp is higher than it is in Wis. My son lives in AZ, Tucson, and we visited in Feb. It was in the low 80's and do you think that this old Wis couple could find a fan for sale? The answer is NO! Now we came from mid 20's to 80's for outside temps and it was crazy hot for me.

So this Wis fella likes it about 68 in the day and 65 at night. We sleep with two fans running in the bedroom. A ceiling fan and a bedside table top year round. I am the hot one and sleep with just a sheet and my wife has a sheet, a cotton blanket and a heavy quilt on. About half way through the night I grab the cotton blanket too as I cool down. We are on different planets as far as temps goes.

In the summer the house is set about 76 but I still like it about 74 at night.

Nice thread on a quilting forum, but we are all social beings and it's all fun to share.

Blog Entries
    I have a programmable thermostat and keep my house between 60 and 64. 60 at night, up to 63 in the morning, then if it is a day no one is home all day back down to 60. If I am home, I can bump up the thermostat, but never above 66.

Last winter m ex was not paying support and I could not afford to fill the oil tank. Many days the house was very cold, down to 52 a few times. I never want to be that cold again. I was able to fill the oil tank in August and have a credit to fill it one more time this winter.

When the weather stays below freezing I do turn on a couple oil filled radiators to augment the heat.

I do layer my clothes and I put a heating pad on in my bed 20 minutes before I go to bed.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast