Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

Blog Entries
    We now have huge mosquitos in Michigan. They are called Gallinipper mosquitos. The insect has a half-inch long body and even longer legs - hairy ones with white bands. The mosquito easily covers a quarter. It’s aggressive when pursuing its blood meal, and it loves to bite during the day. It bites right through your clothing. Their bites are like a stab.

The gallinipper is native to Michigan. It doesn’t make an appearance every year. The recent cycle of heavy rains and dry spells made conditions ripe for a breakout of these huge mosquitos. The gallinipper’s larvae feed on the larvae of its smaller mosquito cousins. If there are lots of smaller mosquitoes buzzing around you will probably see the large versions flying around, too. I have lived in Michigan all my life and never seen a gallinipper before. Gallinipper eggs can sit for years, waiting for the right conditions to hatch. Once they’re out, adults live for two weeks to a month.

The gallinipper can be mistaken for the Asian tiger mosquito, which has been found in parts of Indiana and Illinois.

We had two in the house last night. They probably snuck in on someone's clothing. They are huge.

Blog Entries
    I was going to say we have those here in Maryland only smaller but just as aggressive then I read further and thought, we must have the Asian ones :lol: Either way they are a pain in more ways than one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsk
    We now have huge mosquitos in Michigan. They are called Gallinipper mosquitos. The insect has a half-inch long body and even longer legs - hairy ones with white bands. The mosquito easily covers a quarter. It’s aggressive when pursuing its blood meal, and it loves to bite during the day. It bites right through your clothing. Their bites are like a stab.

The gallinipper is native to Michigan. It doesn’t make an appearance every year. The recent cycle of heavy rains and dry spells made conditions ripe for a breakout of these huge mosquitos. The gallinipper’s larvae feed on the larvae of its smaller mosquito cousins. If there are lots of smaller mosquitoes buzzing around you will probably see the large versions flying around, too. I have lived in Michigan all my life and never seen a gallinipper before. Gallinipper eggs can sit for years, waiting for the right conditions to hatch. Once they’re out, adults live for two weeks to a month.

The gallinipper can be mistaken for the Asian tiger mosquito, which has been found in parts of Indiana and Illinois.

We had two in the house last night. They probably snuck in on someone's clothing. They are huge.
    I feel like that was the intro to a horror movie!!

Blog Entries
    Alright Kathy!!!! You can just keep those nasty sounding critters down there in Ann Arbor!!!! I don't want them in Redford!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On occasion we get a cicada wasp. They scare the heck out of you when you first see one! :shock: When I first saw one, I thought it might be a small hummingbird!!! Nope!! I found out it was a cicada wasp!! Should I send you one -- or two -- or three????? :D :D

Man - I hope I don't run into any of those suckers.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was a rogue mosquito that bit me thru my clothes!! I live in the UP we say it's the state bird!! Nasty buggers!! Lol. What is a cicada wasp? Yikes! Like a huge wasp?? Scary!!

Blog Entries
    Did anyone notice the ad at bottomof page? It is formosquito exterminator. Someone pointed out the relationship of thread content to the ads and now I cant help watching them. Lol any I have not seen them in our area yet, and hope not to.
    Also, noticed many members from michigan, hi to u all.

Blog Entries
    I was just up in Michigan this past weekend camping. Pentwater area. Got a couple of nasty bites!

Blog Entries
    Here ya go! Cicada killer wasps really don't bother you unless you really make them angry. They will dig burrows in soft soil such as sand then capture a cicada, carry it back to the burrow where it will take it down in the hole. The wasp will lay an egg and the cicada becomes food for the larva.

Yes, they really are this big!!! They fly very low to the ground and will circle around their burrows unless they are digging soil out of the hole or taking a cicada down into it.
    Name:  Attachment-240342.jpe
Views: 757
Size:  74.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pab58
    Here ya go! Cicada killer wasps really don't bother you unless you really make them angry. They will dig burrows in soft soil such as sand then capture a cicada, carry it back to the burrow where it will take it down in the hole. The wasp will lay an egg and the cicada becomes food for the larva.
    YUCK!!!

Blog Entries
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hah! I was walking my dog one day and one of those wasps was taking down a cicada. The cicada was making quite a ruckus and my dog really, REALLY wanted to check it out! I didn't think it was a good idea. :)

Blog Entries
    I was going to post a picture but they are really nasty looking. I know some people get really freaked out by bugs and the only picture I could find was pretty big. We had another one sneak into the house tonight and my DGS killed it. He swatted it, stepped on it and it was still moving. He kept his foot on it while I got a kleenex and he picked it up so we could inspect it closer. It has what looks like a needle for a stinger. It bit him through his Docker shorts. Nasty buggers.

Blog Entries
    YUP - I think we have a new state bird :lol:

Blog Entries
    Alright Kathy!!!! You can just keep those nasty sounding critters down there in Ann Arbor!!!! I don't want them in Redford!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: On occasion we get a cicada wasp. They scare the heck out of you when you first see one! :shock: When I first saw one, I thought it might be a small hummingbird!!! Nope!! I found out it was a cicada wasp!! Should I send you one -- or two -- or three????? :D :D
    Ewww - thanks but no thanks. But then again, if they don't bite I'll trade you. :wink:

I hate mosquitos, any shape,size,or form. Hate em.

These are Crane Flies {google it}.Then you'll know what they are for sure.

This post is really interesting. Just yesterday I was taking the sheets off the line and there was this huge thing clinging to the top sheet. I ran to get my DH and I grabbed a glass jar and caught it. We both thought perhaps it was a cicada. I looked it up on the computer and sure enough it was. We were in Indiana a few years back when they were so thick: all you could hear was their loud noise from the time you went outside until nightfall. Hope they don't get that thick here. Never heard of a cicada wasp. Thanks so much for this info.

Keep those buggers your way. Yuk!

Just came back from Mich, glad we did not see any

I have lived in Michigan my whole life and have never seen that kind of mosquito. And I hope I don't -they sound really nasty!

I grew up in Mich. When I told my new Ga. friends about the freakin clouds of mosquitos that make life miserable, they just galze over and say "Right". About 12 years ago my friend mentioned that she couldn't walk cause the little black mosquitos attacked her, I too thought "Right". Well......the little buggers invaded my little yard. They are black, tiny, and only need a drop of dew to breed. Their bite is nasty, the welts are huge, and the itch lasts over a week. Kath said that they have migrated her from Miami, where she was raised.

Only thing good about being dry here in Kannsas is I haven"t had any mosquitoes,

I could be wrong about this wasp.. but I think these nasty little buggers like sandy areas best. If you do not have sandy soil, you will most likely not see them, or have very few of them.

Now for the state bird (Wisconsin's also ha ha ha).. you can keep them huge buggers. It is sad that you can not sit outside and enjoy an evening by the fire because you will need a blood transfussion before the night is over. It has been way to hot to sit with your skin covered entirely.

Please keep your bugs. We have stinkbugs. Don't need any other species. Ugh!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast