Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom! >

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
Wow! That is scary.
I don't know what to tell you... I would have done the same thing as you. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.
Make you a strong pot of coffee (or tea if you prefer) cause I know you'll be up most of the night anyway.
What kind of dogs do you have? Will they let you know if someone is around your house?
Hugs to ya & good wishes too.
Yes, if they hear something they will bark. To me, if I was that guy and I heard and saw dogs, I wouldn't of come back the second time.

Reason I figure they were checking out the place in the daylight was the gate between the two houses. You can't see it in the dark. He already knew it was there.

Guess it pays off watching all those crime shows! I don't trust anyone. I do have a neighbor down the lane. But they wouldn't hear anything.

And I don't have anyone that come stay with me. So it's all up to me and my furballs.

The two state p officers that came. Told me to get my cat to attack them. giggle
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Be safe, Betty! Your story gave me chills and I'm glad you got the police out to your house. Keep us posted!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM

~grin~ I've heard of cats being used as "weapons", as in grabbing the cat by the scruff and throwing it at someone's face...would probably be pretty effective and unexpected!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
Originally Posted by Charlee
I'm up for awhile anyway!

That's scary! I think I'd have let the stranger know I had the gun...but that's me.

Do you have a neighbor or friend that can come stay with you tonight?
Why would you ever let anyone know you had a gun? These people may come back to rob you just for the gun!!
In my mind? They're less likely to come back if they know I have the gun, and am confident in how I handle it and they think I'll not have a problem using it.

True, it might not do much good if I'm standing there, gun in hand, and the hand is shaking so much that they know the chances of getting hit even if I DO pull the trigger are slim.. but my hands don't shake, call it artificial confidence, but I would not be afraid to use it, nor would I miss if I did....
I thought about telling him I had a gun on me. But then I thought maybe they would come back when I wasn't home to see what all kinds of weapons I had.

It could be good to tell them you are packing. But could hurt you later. You honestly don't know what to do when the time comes.

But I am an avid hunter. I rarely miss. I also have my bow and arrow laying on the couch where I've been going out with it of the evenings. So guess I won't be doing that either unless I have a gun too! But it's illegal to carry a gun and a bow at the same time. I won't set foot in the woods without a handgun too! They will just have to put me in jail. I want to be safe while out and about by myself in the woods.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
Be safe, Betty! Your story gave me chills and I'm glad you got the police out to your house. Keep us posted!
I sure will Lynda! I did tell the two state troopers that if they tried to break in on me, I was going to shoot them. The one said I don't blame you!!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Poor thing... that is scary. They were probably trying to get you to open your door. I'd have all the lights and tvs on. I have a little weenie dog that barks like crazy anytime anyone knocks on the door or he hears someone outside. Keep safe, keep your phone close by.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I don't think you could have handled the situation any better. Way to go! I hope the police will make it a point to drive by your home this evening lots of times but I bet you're safe. That thug now knows that you are not an easy mark.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM

Hopefully the police presence in the area will make them clear out. Be safe.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM

I am so thankful that you didn't open the door! I think you handled this perfectly. I saw earlier there were escaped convicts loose in Florida. Haven't caught another update on them, they may still be out there somewhere. So take extra caution, and will be praying for your safety!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by efayard
Poor thing... that is scary. They were probably trying to get you to open your door. I'd have all the lights and tvs on. I have a little weenie dog that barks like crazy anytime anyone knocks on the door or he hears someone outside. Keep safe, keep your phone close by.
It didn't help I was watching booger movies on tv. That knock scared the daylights out of me before I heard anyone. :-)

I turned the tv off. So I could hear. And so the dogs could hear if anyone was trying to get in. But I do have several lights on. I'll leave them the rest of the night.