Hurricane Sandy

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM

I'm watching the weather updates and praying for all of you in the path of the storm. Here in Arkansas, we usually just deal with tornadoes that just pop up. Today we have sunshine but cold temperatures. I hope everyone in the path of this storm will heed the warnings. Praying also for all the utility workers who are traveling from here to help.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 AM

So far our worst enemy is the tide; when it comes in the tunnel closes and most of downtown Norfolk is flooded. My son lives in Ocean View about 4 or 5 blocks from the beach and he just walked to the store and the water was waist high on him; he's over 6ft. And right now its low tide. I tried to get him to stay at my house like my daughter did with her family but you know how kids are. Now with most of Ocean View closed down there is no way out. With Irene some people couldn't get out for weeks and that was after it hit. He was smart and moved thier car on top of a hill so it should be safe from the water. I dont live in the flood zone but it is all around me. I work in downtown Norfolk but so far have a safe route to get home. When I'm allowed to go. Since I'm here and on the schedule I have to stay until this mess clears. Even though I live pretty close you never know and the hospital has to make sure they are covered. It's all good. They made us a nice dinner last night and a really big breakfast this morning so they are showing appreciation by feeding us very well. Good luck to you all that may be affected. We probably won't know the fullest extent of our damage until sometime on Wednesday.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM

Prayers for all who are in the storm's path. Living in Florida we've been through several hurricanes and it's never any fun. We were without power for ten days last time and even though we have a generator, that only runs the bare necessities. It really shows you how dependent we've become on the grid. Just call me wimpy.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 AM

It was a long and scary day, but all is well. I never lost power. Actually, quilting helped a lot - when I was sewing I wasn't focussed on the scary noises and whipping winds. So quilting saved the day!