hysterical mother in law

Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 AM

TELL HER TO CALL ANIMAL CONTROL in the city she lives in. They will come out and catch it for her, I'm sure. They do in our town.
D in TX
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 AM

Buy her a butterfly net. A bat came down the chimney years ago and my very frightened son and DH ran for their lives. I just got the butterfly net and captured the wayward creature and let him go outside. BTW, they can find the darndest places to hide from us. This one was behind the bureau hanging on for dear life. He was more frightened then we were actually.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 AM

I am the bat expert---should be since it cost me over $1000 to get rid of them. Bats can get in a hole about 3/4inches wide and a #2 pencil high. We have a fairly new house but the builders left a few spaces that weren't sealed up. The "bat man" came out and trapped (one way traps) those that were leaving. Then he had to caulk all holes, had to go up (dressed and covered from head to toe wearing a respirator) to get rid of the bat feces. Unfortunately, he never had to have any repeat visits to any house.....we were just "special." He had to come back 3 times. Oldest son killed one with a tennis racket. "BRAVE" husband sat in safe room leafing through the phone book for an exterminator. It sounds funny now,,,but wasn't then.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Fail proof method of getting the bat out of the house.............

No lights outdoors. Turn on EVERY light possible in the house and open up the windows and doors. The bat HATES the light and will fly right out the window into the darkness.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:18 PM

Does her city have an "animal control" officer? (Mine is part of the police department.) Or a county "vector control" district? (Bats are often rabid!) She shouldn't have to pay for an exterminator unlss there is a colony, not just one bat that snuck in!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM

I have never had a bat to get in the house, I would unfortunately be very scared, but after reading all your postings I would feel a little better. I can really feel for your MIL.:):):)
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM

She is too sensible to sleep in a hot car....If she does, call the police... Embarrisment is not part of her game plan.

Don't play her games... It is better she doesn't live near you. It is hard for her to play her emotional games at a distance too!
Just before my MIL died she apologised to everybody for making their lives difficult. She knew all along what she was doing - perhaps to make others as miserable as she was.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 AM

I used to call my MIL the Old Bat :)