I almost cried

Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM

My kids are grown and gone, have their own homes. I'm just fine with it, that's the way things are supposed to be and I do love my own time and space.

My daughter texted me awhile ago and said Christmas Eve at her house, dinner at 4 or 5? I replied whatever was convenient for her though I would rather not drive in the dark (it's a narrow, winding levee road with ditches on both sides). She replied to come early and stay the night, drink some eggnog with her.

A few moments later it hit me that I would then be there on Christmas morning with the three grandkids. I got tears in my eyes quite suddenly.

I hadn't really thought about that. I didn't expect to see them then. I know that it's an honor and a privaledge to be asked to spend that time with her family. I was out shopping yesterday and passing all these little things that I would have got for my kids' stockings. I wanted to get some but I thought, that's not my job to do anymore and I don't want to step on her toes.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:29 PM

I'm so glad that you get to spend Christmas morning with your daughter and your grands.
My kids are all grown too. Same as you, I was shopping today and thinking about stockings and how I don't need to buy anything for stockings. My 3 girls will all have Christmas morning with their spouses and in-laws but we are all traveling down to my parents house in Orange county and will all have dinner together. Though, thinking about it, my 22 y/o son will be here Christmas morning. I guess I should have picked up something for him. I still have time.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My kids get stockings from us and my Mom. When we were on good terms with the in-laws there would be stockings over there for the kids too. I wouldn't have it any other way. I think you should give your grand kids stockings with lots of goodies in them. If your not comfortable with it then ask your DD if it's ok. It never hurts to ask!!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Maybe I could do a little goodie bag for each.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Banned

Enjoy the joy of Christmas morning with the kids!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM

I am so happy for you that you get to spend Christmas morning with your grandchildren. Enjoy the moment and treasure it! :-D
Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM

Oh, I am so glad!! My grandparents usually spent Christmas Eve with us and my grandmother still comes to stay at my Mom's. I certainly loved that they were always there. Enjoy your time!!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM
pab

go, and make some great memories with your grandkids! pab
Old 12-17-2010, 05:35 PM

You know, no one is going to fill a stocking for your daughter and her DH. They will be focused on the kids. Maybe you could play Santa for the grown-ups with a few little surprises in your daughter and her DH's stockings.

And have a wonderful time with your family!
Old 12-17-2010, 05:36 PM

you could always ask DD first, then if it's ok with her, then do what you can. But most of all enjoy the opportunity of getting to spend Christmas eve and Christmas morning with them. I don't get to see any of mine until New Year's eve.