Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I am curious.....

When I was in Florida I saw these gated communities with mobiles homes in it. It looked so neat and safe.
    Are there members of the board living like that maybe? I would love to know more about living in a mobile home and the neighbourhood, do you all need a car or is there transportation for those that can't drive, do you do things together.
    Is this kind of living just in Florida and other warm States or all over the country?

My grandmother lived in a gated mobile home community in Arizona and it was just like a regular home. You needed a car to go places. However, they had a rec center, hair cutting salon, and pool on site. Groceries were a block away. Very nice.

We have manufactured homes in Oregon, and 'parks'. When I was a teenager we lived in one. It had a pool, and recreation center with conference rooms or rooms for holding a party. They had social functions planned for the community. We had to have a car it was not close to anything. It was okay.
    BUT I would never live in a manufactured home in the South, I wouldn't consider it safe since a tornado or hurricane would smash it to pieces.

How big are these mobile homes. Do they have bedrooms and a livingroom, a garden? Are they expensive? Do you buy them or rent them and do you have to pay for the airea you live on? Is this mostly for older people? How about going to the doctor, dentist. I asume people go to the nearest town for this?
    :-P

Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    We have manufactured homes in Oregon, and 'parks'. When I was a teenager we lived in one. It had a pool, and recreation center with conference rooms or rooms for holding a party. They had social functions planned for the community. We had to have a car it was not close to anything. It was okay.
    BUT I would never live in a manufactured home in the South, I wouldn't consider it safe since a tornado or hurricane would smash it to pieces.
    Hi Kirsten 0112, I wonder how the climat is in Oregon. Don't you have hurricanes or tornado's?

Quote Originally Posted by pinot
    How big are these mobile homes. Do they have bedrooms and a livingroom, a garden? Are they expensive? Do you buy them or rent them and do you have to pay for the airea you live on? Is this mostly for older people? How about going to the doctor, dentist. I asume people go to the nearest town for this?
    mobile homes today have everything you have in a non-mobile home...multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, fully equipped kitchens, living room and dining room...tho these a frequently two spaces in the same room. Its' amazing what you can do in a mobile home. Many parks permit "doublewides" which are like two mobile homes connected side by side so you get even more space and features..if you even think you're interested, it's worthe the time to find a dealer and take a walk thru a few to see for yourself. Many are well made and some are still "lightweight" and you need to check them out just like you check out a new regular house or car or any large purchase.

Like another poster, I'd be cautious about living in one in an area prone to hurricanes or tornadoes....but check it out.

thank you ktbb . Amazing!! I never thought it would be like a "normal" house! And if you'd buy a MobH how do you know where you're allowed to place it? How about sewer, water, electricity? I realy have no idea. And who lives in these houses, young people old people? Are there any schools nearby or do the children go by bus? I suppose the MobH have airco but are there people living in them in states where it isn't warm in winter?

mobile home communities are set up all over the place and each one has different amenities. some are for seniors, some take everyone, some are low income, etc. All that I know of provide water/sewer/electricity connections for each plot of land in the park - you pay utility bills just like everyone else does. One way to locate the parks is to check with a real estate agent...but they'll try to sell you one and get a commission - if you can put up with their sales pitch, you can get a lot of information. try googling "mobile home parks" in a certain location and you should get hits to check out. there is air conditioning, just like a regular house, and yes, there are parks in cold climates...they have them in Alaska. However, mobile homes may not be as energy efficient as a regular house...you have to make sure you get a well built one. Just think of a mobile home as a house in a small community...schools may be near or far depending on where the community is, some are in the middle of town, some are towns themselves...If you own your own land, you have to check the community codes to see if you can put a mobile home on it...my guess is that in a planned community or a city you may not be able to move in a mobile home, but in the country you can do it anywhere. mobile homes are homes that look different - you have to consider codes but can use them anywhere codes permit.

thanks again ktbb! I learned a lot today thanks to you! It's so nice to talk to somebody from Alaska!!!! I've been traveling a lot but the more I travel the more I get this feeling that I have seen nothing yet!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My uncle lives in a gated houseboat community on a river in Illinois. The boats are very large and fancy. They have a club house that serves food and has music. They have a swimming pool, tennis courts and things like that.

I did not know there are gated houseboat communities too!! I bet they are rare and very expensive? Isn't that very cold in winter?

Blog Entries
    We have tornadoes in Iowa and many people live in mobile home parks. Many parks have sturdy shelters nearby in case.

We live in a gated mobile home park in Mesa, Arizona. Ours is a 55 and over park. There is a pool, clubhouse with computers, library, movie rental and many many activities going on all the time.
    We pay lot rent, water and trash pick up. Most homes are double wide a few triple wides. Our home is 26' by 60'. We have 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, den, utility room, kitchen and living room. We have been in Arizona 20 years 10 in our mobile home, and we really like it.

Blog Entries
    My sister lives in a senior park and her trailer house..sorry, MOBILE HOME is much nicer than my own older house. She has two bedrooms two baths, built in dishwasher and all the other day to day things that nice homes have. She has her own car and drives all over, but the park has meeting hall and probably swimming pool, don't know about that. I visited her during cold weather so we stayed in a lot.

I know lots of older folks who are darn tired of keeping up their houses and yards, so moved to these places. Also know a lady who was tired of her kids dumping spoiled brat grandkids on her to baby sit for days at a time, so she moved to a Senior only park and loves it.

I am a transplanted Floridian now living in GA. I had a Double Wide...3 BR. 2 Full Bath. Livingrm.,Den Dining room,utility for washer and dryer. Beautiful Home. In PalmBeach co. On Lake Okeecobee which is 40 miles by 60 miles. Lived there all my life until now. My Home went thru. the first 2 Hurricanes in 2005.. First one did no damage at all,but took shingles off my neighbors CBS home, Concert Block Struct. Did several thousands of dollars damage to her home and a lot of others. We felt so blessed. Second Took the torched down roof off and several pieces of plywood decking. But that was the only damage, Water is what did the damage and mold afterwards. Walls still stood only Roof came off on one side and it just peel off from the constant wind. Still had decking except for the several that went with torchdown roof. Lost it and some material things not much, was blessed got insurance money after only a short delay.
    This kind of home is not for anyone to stay in during hurricanes. But not many homes are if it is a strong hurricane. Like Andrew in FL. Took everything in its path. You just use common sense if you live in the South. Like you would if you lived where the thornados go thru. In south Fl. you see very few Twisters which you don't have a warning from. Hurricanes You are given updates constantly thru your local radio and TV stations. So you know when to Evac.
    Mobile homes or Modular homes which is the same except they take the axels and tires and put it on a foundation can be as beautiful and cost as much as a built home. Before moveing where we are,My DH BIL works for a mobile home company. We were looking at them, One I loved Which they called a modular was over $300,00.00 LOL!!! It had an upstairs a whole 2nd level. BEAUTIFUL!!!
    BillsBonBon

Blog Entries
    When you are looking to buy a Mobil Home, you can design your own and make it very, very insulated and put different rooms where you want them. It's like the manufactured houses you design, you want windows there and sink here and doors there, you can put them anywhere the law allows. One of my brothers did that after their house burned down, the new one is lovely, much better than the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    My sister lives in a senior park and her trailer house..sorry, MOBILE HOME is much nicer than my own older house. She has two bedrooms two baths, built in dishwasher and all the other day to day things that nice homes have. She has her own car and drives all over, but the park has meeting hall and probably swimming pool, don't know about that. I visited her during cold weather so we stayed in a lot.

I know lots of older folks who are darn tired of keeping up their houses and yards, so moved to these places. Also know a lady who was tired of her kids dumping spoiled brat grandkids on her to baby sit for days at a time, so she moved to a Senior only park and loves it.
    Oh Ramona! I had to laugh about the second part!!! Thank you!

Our 2nd home is a mobile home in a senior park in Yakima, WA. It is 14x70, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, dishwasher, w/d, we have a covered double car port and storage unit on one side and a covered porch on the other side. The park has both single wide and double wide homes. The mobile home was already in the park when we purchased it, we didn't move it there. We spend our summers there, the rest of the year it is unused. Our neighbors keep an eye on it while we are gone.

The park has a recreation room, lots of activities, it's pretty secure and well maintained. We pay rent on the lot we're on. We opted to be in a senior park rather than a family park because the senior parks were better maintained. You do need a car to get around but it's located near everything you could possibly need.

Being a senior park, it has lots of rules which is a good thing in some ways but my DH has decided that at his age he doesn't like people telling him what he can and cannot do with his property so we will probably sell it and buy a small home next year.

Blog Entries
    You can get "Alaska" pack mobiles, that have way more insulation for the colder climates and the hotter ones too.

Parks around here are family, adults only or seniors, all pay rent for the lot, you do your own yard work, and pay all of the utilities like a standard home. Some have all/part of the other mentioned amnenities, others have none...

Here in Washington state, we rarely get tornadoes, but we do get wind storms that can be 100+ mph, so they have "tie downs" that secure the mobile homes to their foundations. Our main problem is the wind knocking down huge fir trees, so it doesn't matter whether it is a mobile home or standard, the destruction is about the same.

The only downside to a mobile home is they depreciate in value here, and a standard home usually appreciates. But they still can be a very attractive alternative financially.

We also have a lot of houseboat communities along the rivers and on the lakes. They range from older (I would be scared to even walk on the docks lol) to beautiful, huge homes. Some families have lived for generations in houseboats here.
    They are starting to make more rules/regs about them, making it more difficult to build marinas or allow people to work on/maintain/or move in new homes... something to do with the Environmental issues.

Excuse they are NOT trailers. They are mobile homes or in some cases manufactured homes. Here in Indiana there are lots of mobile home communities. This man I used to see(I still can't believe I ever went out with him) got married and was living in a trailer park. (this is my story when he writes it he can say community) He spent his week vacation building a deck on his trailer. Went back to work and came home to find a notice that he was supposed to have a permit to build the deck. Took his next week of vacation tearing it down. My friend and I were going to fix some cocktails and watch him tear it down but showed great restraint and stayed home with the cocktails. This is one of my favorite old boyfriend stories. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wished the trailer parks were like that when I was a kid they didn't even have grass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktbb
    mobile homes today have everything you have in a non-mobile home...multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, fully equipped kitchens, living room and dining room...tho these a frequently two spaces in the same room. Its' amazing what you can do in a mobile home. Many parks permit "doublewides" which are like two mobile homes connected side by side so you get even more space and features..if you even think you're interested, it's worthe the time to find a dealer and take a walk thru a few to see for yourself. Many are well made and some are still "lightweight" and you need to check them out just like you check out a new regular house or car or any large purchase.

Like another poster, I'd be cautious about living in one in an area prone to hurricanes or tornadoes....but check it out.
    --------------------------------------------------------

PINOT....

Just do a search online. There are so many brands and styles of these homes. The world is at your finger tips . You can also search for different parks/communities and what their rules and plusses are .

Have fun. Peace.....

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did not know there are gated houseboat communities too!! I bet they are rare and very expensive? Isn't that very cold in winter?
    In my opinion, they are very expensive. You pay for the parking space and then pay a monthly maintenance fee. In his case, the space cost around $30,000 and the monthly fee is $500. Of course, you have to buy a boat big enough to live in, too.

you can get some GREAT deals on mobile homes in FL. Hate to say it, but the old folks die, the kids do not live nearby, they sell it furnished for one low price just so they don't have to deal with it. I know several people who have bought from estates like that, complete for around $30K or less.

My Mom lives in a gated modular/"stick built" home community. Guard gate, security patrols. She got robbed big time as well as a few neighbors. Never caught them or got anything back.

Don't ever let a gate make you feel secure....ever.

They do offer a great amount of amenities. They are mostly watched over by a homeowners association and all that I've heard from her is that they love to send letters and fine you for every little thing they can. That being said, because of the HOA's the grounds and surroundings are kept up. Just too bad they get nit-picky and unreasonable, IMHO. She's got a stick built house, all one story, 2 bedrooms/2 baths, attached outside storage shed, and two screened porch areas.

You may be better off using a realtor when you go looking and they can answer all your questions---and for a buyer, they are FREE!