Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I am at my wits end with this cat!!! >

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

I am at my wits end with this cat!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I agree with everyone else... poor kitty won't connect the punishment; Cats love to be up high, do you have a cat tree, ledge, something she can climb up on? even a old blanket stapled to a 2x4 leaned on something she can climb on might fix it pretty easliy. use something'tacky' to cover your table, that'l stop that, they hate 'sticky'
This. Cats LOVE high things. Whatever strikes them as highest in any room seems to win. (back of couch over couch any day, unless you are sitting there and there is a lap???)

Is there a window there? Maybe she wants to look out of it?

Also, she may just give it up on her own. I have one cat who rotates locations every two-three weeks. And no matter how much I try, for that time, that's her spot.

One of the others sits on the table to look out the window. He knows he shouldn't be there because he sees me come and he jumps down. But the birds at the window are more persuasive than my reprimands. During the day, I just open the window blind and let him watch. A spray bottle of clorox hard surface cleaner and a sponge, and all is good....
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35087-1.htm
Definitely don't ask advice of Jingleberry here....lol...If I count right, thats THREE cats on her kitchen counter!!

Just playing with ya, Jingle!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Originally Posted by dglvr
Well that sounds like a better solution than mine. Tape.
That would do it.
Uhhh... Nope. I got some clear packing tape and put it across all 4 sides of the table about 2 inches from each edge. I hear something, look over there, and she is gingerly walking across the table and delicately shaking the tape from her toes.
Well I guess my first solution would be best then. Trade cat for dog. :mrgreen:
Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 PM

Don't be surprised if you find the foil on the ground and the kitty batting it around. That's something mine would do.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:13 PM

If she is getting on the table to look out the sliding glass door then I'll give her another place to look out. I don't care if she is on the back of the couch or the window sill so I pulled up one of the heavy blinds on the windows behind the couch.

Yes, the table is the highest place in the kitchen/family room (cafe height table) other than the top of the folded up treadmill, which she also gets onto.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Originally Posted by dglvr
Well that sounds like a better solution than mine. Tape.
That would do it.
Uhhh... Nope. I got some clear packing tape and put it across all 4 sides of the table about 2 inches from each edge. I hear something, look over there, and she is gingerly walking across the table and delicately shaking the tape from her toes.
You need more of it so she cannot easily avoid it. Mine was really hard to break, but the tape worked like a charm. An occassional blast of canned air helps, too.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM

I just remembered something mine did. I had a cookie in my sewing room in a baggie and the next morning it was gone! I couldn't believe cats like cookies and I was worried she'd get sick but she didn't seem to have any ill effects from it. Cats do the darnest things. I wish you luck in keeping her off your table. Does she have a perch or something like that, that she can climb on? Maybe that's what you need to do. She sounds bored to me.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Get the fly swatter after her and gently swat her.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:09 AM

We keep mouse traps on everythings we do not want the cats on. Had not been putting them on the stove lately and we have found the tell tell signs that one has been getting on the stove, so the mouse traps are back.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
This reminds me, why I prefer dogs. Good luck getting your cat to behave. Sounds like you've got one that's real attention hungry.
:-) :-)