Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I am such a love of older films...

I just finished watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers I just love these films I first saw this when I was about 6 and I have loved it sense. I cannot wait to find Oklahoma and I think Carnival?? Not sure but I just love these old time films.!! (I am only 38)

i love the old black and whites, mostly bette davis movies. i'll watch pretty much any movie on TCM when i have the time.

Blog Entries
    The Elsinore Theater in downtown Salem, OR shows the oldies. Every other week is a silent movie. We go to them.

I think instead of Carnival you mean Carousel (based on the other musicals you mentioned). I love the old Rodgers & Hammersteins too!

Blog Entries
    I watched musicals and lots and lots of black and white movies when a teenager. i didn't go out at all, so had to do something. and read every book in the house when our t.v. picture went out.

Blog Entries
    I love the old black and white Science Fiction ones. Still remember my Grandma scolding me for wanting to see Buck
    Rogers going to Mars, said that silly things like that would never be and it was time to milk the cow or hoe the garden. Grandma lived from the horse and buggy days to right when man walked on the moon, one of the greatest changes in the history of mankind.

And of course the older musicals, such as South Pacific and Oklahoma. I still love the Wizard of Oz, and recently found a good copy of Mary Poppins, it was delightful change after going with my sister to a modern movie.

The older movies had warmth and were fun to watch, and the older versions of musicals will never be duplicated in our life times. They keep making new copies of the older ones but they never make the grade. Like the remake of Cheaper By The Dozen, which I love in book form. BUT the original book was set in the 1920s, when large familes were normal and no one thought much about it. The father was a large, dignified man who was lord of the house but loved all his kids. The modern version one was made to be set in this day and time, when 12 kids are out of sync with half the world going hungry, and the dignified father was played by the manicly motioned thin guy Steve Martin. I simply tossed it in the Goodwill bag after watching a few moments of it.
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is always a good watching time, and like one of us just said, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is charming and uplifting. Love movies like that. Perhaps that makes me living in my second childhood, but I'm having fun in it anyway.

MY Man Godfrey . . soo funny. cute and clean too.

Yes that is the one!!

Quote Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
    I think instead of Carnival you mean Carousel (based on the other musicals you mentioned). I love the old Rodgers & Hammersteins too!

Oh I am going to find these movies I want my kids to watch them all! Thank you for suggestion more I had forgot some of these!

Best black & white for me is "To Kill a Mockingbird" "Sound of Music" love it! Watch White Christmas every year 3 or 4 times my sister & I call and sing "Sisters" to each other.

I love Seven Brides!! (I'm 33). I need to get it on DVD...may have to pull it out this week to rewatch. Oklahoma! is a favorite, too. Humming...

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian
    Best black & white for me is "To Kill a Mockingbird" "Sound of Music" love it! Watch White Christmas every year 3 or 4 times my sister & I call and sing "Sisters" to each other.
    I watch White Christmas and Holiday Inn every year at Christmas! Love them.

I watched it too! I love old movies, even the old silents! I used to stay up on w/es w/ my mom (when there were only 3 maybe 4 channels on tv, lol) and watching b/w movies. With some of the stuffthey try to pass off as movies lately, these old classics are always welcome in our house. share t

When we lived in Texas, the summer afternoons were just to hot to be outside. So my girls and I would rent all the old musicals and wait until the day cooled off a bit so we could to outside. We loved them all, but the girls really loved the original version of Bye Bye Birdie....They are grown up now, but we have fond memories of our movie days...

Oklahom and Carousel are both available on Netflix!!!! Worth just getting it for one month if you're really wanting them.

I love those old movies, too....great GOOD movies.

The Long, Gray Line; the original Cheeper By The Dozen; Life With Father; The Trouble With Angels; Arsenic and Old Lace. Just to name a few.

Blog Entries
    There's two different versions of Cheaper By The Dozen, the first one has a marvelous old time actor as the father. Clifton Web was the father in the first and best one.
    I re-read the book every year or so, it is funny and innocent, as is the second one called "Belles on their Toes" which is the story of their life after the father died.

"Cheaper By the Dozen", based on the real-life story of the Gilbreth family, follows them from Providence... See full summary

Blog Entries
    I always loved Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. I have it on DVD now. It was a series at one time. I used to watch everyone of them.

I love the Thin Man movies. They are so much fun to watch. Mysteries but they are funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    There's two different versions of Cheaper By The Dozen, the first one has a marvelous old time actor as the father. Clifton Web was the father in the first and best one.
    I re-read the book every year or so, it is funny and innocent, as is the second one called "Belles on their Toes" which is the story of their life after the father died.

"Cheaper By the Dozen", based on the real-life story of the Gilbreth family, follows them from Providence... See full summary
    Oh and I adore "Cheaper By the Dozen"--the book. I received it as a birthday gift when I was probably nine or so and have read it over and over!

Blog Entries
    Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (Margaret O'Brien), Lady for a Day, The Best Years of our Lives, Little Women, (Margaret O'Brien), The Secret Garden (Margaret O'Brien), Meet Me in St. Louis (Margaret O'Brien). I am a Margaret O'Brien fan. Beats all the "actors" and "actresses" of today. I love those old movies. Ever watch Turner Classic Movies (TCM channel on cable)? You get such an education from them. Edie

Blog Entries
    My favorites are Friendly Persuasion with Gary Cooper, all the Thin Man movies, Oklahoma, all the Spencer Tracy / Katherine Hepburn movies, all the Laurel and Hardy movies, and I have all the silent movies of Douglas Fairbanks Sr., Buster Keaton, Charlie Chaplin. They just don't make movies like they used to.

My favorite thing is to find an old movie I HAVEN'T seen. I got Netflix for a month and watched some things online and ordered others. I had never seen Spellbound with Gregory Peck. I really like Cary Grant movies. My favorite comedies are His Girl Friday and Some Like it Hot.

I just watched part of an old one yesterday with Shirley Temple as a teen, and the cutest bulldog. Only saw a tiny part, wish I knew the name of it!

TCM is the best! You don't have to be a senior citizen to appreciate good movies. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of the all time great movies ever. Watched Betty Hutton as Annie Oakley the other day, loved her! Was singing the songs for the rest of the day. The Thin Man, outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    I just watched part of an old one yesterday with Shirley Temple as a teen, and the cutest bulldog. Only saw a tiny part, wish I knew the name of it!
    Was it The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer with Cary Grant? She did a few movies as a teen, I think.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast