Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting? >

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

I can make the quilt tops but what about the quilting?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
np3
Power Poster

Just read about your bobbin challenge. Is this when you first start the quilting? I take two or three stitches in the start point before I begin moving. It has the same effect as backstitching but doesn't show. Then I clip the threads after I stop.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
What do you do when you can make all the beautiful quilt tops in the world, but don't know yet how to do any quilting except stitch in the ditch & straight machine quilting?
what you do is ...

-practice freemotion on scrap sandwiches until you feel brave enough to try it on a real quilt.

- in the meantime, you'd be surprised how many ways there are to use straight lines and broad, sweeping curves (which can be done with a walking foot) to produce beautiful quilts. look around online for ideas and inspiration. :-)
Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Do you have any "fancy" stitches on your machine? I have done SID using some of them on my machine....have to go very slow, but it looks better to me than just straight stitches.

This is what I did for my Sister's Bathroom Curtain (a mini quilt)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]160020[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160015.jpe  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
- in the meantime, you'd be surprised how many ways there are to use straight lines and broad, sweeping curves (which can be done with a walking foot) to produce beautiful quilts. look around online for ideas and inspiration. :-)
Thanks! This is what I needed to hear! Hadn't thought about broad, sweeping curves using the walking foot. Although...my walking foot broke last time I used it. Guess I had better hunt down a new one for my old Singer 403a :) Need it for straight stitching too!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Do you have any "fancy" stitches on your machine? I have done SID using some of them on my machine....have to go very slow, but it looks better to me than just straight stitches.
Thanks for the suggestion & the picture (worth a 1,000 words). My old Singer 403a does have the stitch cams - not as fancy as the newer machines, but some do look fairly good. Will have to think on this & see what I can come up with. Both couples are pretty contemporary & not into too much pretty, pretty stuff (do I make any sense?). Don't want to get too carried away with embellished stitching.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Just read about your bobbin challenge. Is this when you first start the quilting? I take two or three stitches in the start point before I begin moving. It has the same effect as backstitching but doesn't show. Then I clip the threads after I stop.
Yes - when I first start. I tried staying still & do nothing but try to get a stitch to catch...wouldn't do it. I'm using my Singer 403a that I inherited from my Mom. Thought I would get out my Featherweight, cover the feed dogs, and try it. If that fails, I'll get out my yucky Kenmore & try it. If all of them do it...then well...guess it must be me! :D
Old 01-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Banned

That is really pretty. Nice idea also
Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

A combination of sweeping curves and more open decorative stitches can be beautiful :D:D:D
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Thanks for the suggestion & the picture (worth a 1,000 words). My old Singer 403a does have the stitch cams - not as fancy as the newer machines, but some do look fairly good. Will have to think on this & see what I can come up with. Both couples are pretty contemporary & not into too much pretty, pretty stuff (do I make any sense?). Don't want to get too carried away with embellished stitching.
Made perfect sense...my sister preferred the simpler "curve" stitch over the "vine and leaf".
Old 01-14-2011, 01:57 PM

I've made miniature quilts with decorative stitching.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160054.jpe