Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I need an air-threading serger! >

I need an air-threading serger!

I need an air-threading serger!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Default I need an air-threading serger!

My eyes are getting worse with age, as is my fine coordination. I have a 20-year-old Bernette serger and I just don't want to deal with the threading any more.

Whick one should I get? It has to have air threading, I think. There are (I hope) grandchildren in our future, so I want a machine that is good for making baby clothes. Unless switching to cover stitch is really easy, I'm thinking I would be best off buying a separate cover stitch machine later.

My current needs are sporadic. I just want something that I can set up and use without spending an hour bending down trying to thread loopers.

Any recommendations?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 PM

Go on the Babylock web site and check out the Babylock sergers then you may want to find a dealer near you to go in and see a demonstration. You could also try them out. I have an older Ovation that coverts to a cover stitch that I like. However, if I had it to do over again, I would get one that did not do the convert to cover stitch thing and then get a separate cover stitch machine. Then you can leave the cover stitch set up all the time.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Agree with looking at the Babylock ones. There are some mid-range priced ones. I have the Ovation also and wanted all the features. In reality, the mid range models would have been fine.

The threading system is not hard. If you have a local dealer check with them first. They may have trade-ins available. There is a new model above the Ovation with a needle threader.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:58 PM

My serger is also about 20 yrs. old. I clip the old thread near the spool and the tie the new thread on to the old with a good knot. Then I watch the knots as I run the thread until they get to the needle. I only cut the threads that go through the needle so I can thread them. Then sew some more until all the new thread is in place to use.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

my babylock has air, the only reason I bought mine
Old 09-05-2018, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
My serger is also about 20 yrs. old. I clip the old thread near the spool and the tie the new thread on to the old with a good knot. Then I watch the knots as I run the thread until they get to the needle. I only cut the threads that go through the needle so I can thread them. Then sew some more until all the new thread is in place to use.
That's how I do it, too. I hate having to thread my serger.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26 AM

I'm a "Juki Junkie" - one of my machines I'm most impressed with is my MO2000QVP air threading serger. There is nothing about this machine that isn't awesome! I fully expected to be in love with the air thread function - the real surprise however was the needle threaders! Hard to say which I like most .... Best part - I purchased the serger at Paducah a couple years ago when the machine was being introduced at the show price special! Bazinga! This machine is a very definite contender of you're in the market for an air threader.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 AM

yes, I can relate to trying to thread a serger or even a sewing machine these days. I have Babylock's Evolve and am very happy with it. I don't use the serger much so can't see upgrading everytime they get a new one. Its the 1st time I've been able to do the cover stitch. My old Elna serger I never could get it threaded correctly so kept it for 3-thread stitching. Love my Babylock though.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 AM

I have the Babylock Imagine. Best purchase I ever made (not counting my Miata)!!! It doesn't do a cover stitch, but truthfully, I haven't missed not having it. I do a lot of costuming working with upholstery fabric, velvet, silky type material and my Imagine has handled it all. My biggest complaint is that it wants to slide all over the table. I ended up cutting a piece of foam type shelf liner to put under it and problem solved.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 PM

I have to agree the imagine is my serger and have had it probably 20 years, doesn't owe me a penny!!! Bought it because of the jet air threading, best purchase ever!!!