Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need something new to sew

I need something new to sew

I need a break from dolls and quilts and garments. I'd like to make some fabric crafts or crafts that use either fabric or paper or beads, or a combo of all three, but that are also useful or have purpose.

I've looked around my house and other than curtains, can't come up with anything that fits this but I think curtains would not be the best thing to market on the side. And I'd like it to be something different, unlike a tote bag or purse.

What's popular? There are tons of patterns for aprons and doll clothes - are they really that in demand?

Any ideas?
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Power Poster
    Pot holders?

Nylon scrubbies?

Pillow cases?

Those thread catcher - pin cushion combos?

Blog Entries
    Clothes line wrapped baskets are fun and people love them. Also the shaped fabric bowls made with timtex (which is the same stuff in the brims of baseball caps. A stiff interfacing). Locker hooked coasters, hotpads, and rugs are also crowd pleasers.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I just got a pattern from Sewing with Nancy catalog to make kindle rests. They prop up the reader so you don't have to hold it. There are three sizes to make long with other projects.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I just got done making placemats and napkins from some reproduction vintage tablecloth fabric and a Manhattan handbag out of the scraps from a jacket.

Heading towards Christmas - how about ornaments? The folded stars using the styrofoam balls are nice. and I think are fun to make. I always love to see how a change of fabric makes each one unique. For my family I made a set of 4 matching ones, even though for myself I liked all the different ones. Mine are over 15 years and still look great. There are a lot of different ornaments to make. Now they have the pine cone shaped - so I may consider trying it.

I also liked making beaded ornaments. My favorites were the snowflakes. And also crocheted the snowflakes - there is a large variety of snowflakes. And a friend turned me on to making crocheted angels too. They were great fun - I bought so many buttons and small bows to use for their bouquets. And buying lace for the ornaments - such fun, my favorite being the gathered lace.

Blog Entries
    i'm doing epp 3/4" hexes it's alot of fun.
    took a 2 week break due to sore fingers and made a bunch of wash/dish cloths
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

hmm...interesting ideas...Christmas is less than 6 months away...

lynnie - I saw your hexies and grand as they are, I would not have the patience for that! I do hope you post it finished.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Blog Entries
    My daughter makes the fabric wrapped clothes line bowls - says that they are very easy. She sells them at an artisan market (consignment) and cannot keep enough in stock. She makes them large and small, the small ones are usually used as a Key bowl - you throw you keys in it. HTH
    Nikki in MO

Power Poster
    I did some of the clothesline baskets. Both my son and husband love the tray for their keys and pocket change. They also really save the finish on your furniture. Another added benefits is I used a funky rayon blend dress fabric and it still turned out great. There are some really pretty examples on QB as well as a great tutorial. Here are a couple of mine out of that funky fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tartan, those are quite nice, and sturdy too! When ckcowl and nikkilu posted, I wasn't sure what they were, and pictures always work better than what I imagine. I'll have to check out the other pics and tutorial after work. Vaca is over...
    Thanks for sharing.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

I bought this kit of zipper bags from Connecting Threads. I'm going to make sets for Christmas gifts...one from the fabric included with the kit and I'll use stash for some of the others.
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/kit...it__D6785.html
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

Blog Entries
    I came across this on Pin this morning. Not good that I am getting hook on the sites. Love eye candy. http://www.u-createcrafts.com/2011/0...=Google+Reader What you can put on a tee shirt. WOW

How about dish towel dresses to hang on the oven doors, with matching pot holders. I do the double pot holders, too. (The ones that are connected with a long strip of fabric. ) The over 50 voodoo dolls are selling very well. (That was a special request.) I make a lot of purses, too. I use different fabrics, in the same color, and cut out strips. Sew those together and cut out my purse pattern. They have been a big hit. I have a friend who is sewing a lot of fabric boxes for a show. They are very easy to make and can fit in anywhere, even a man's desk. Go to a few shows and see what's selling for others and then put your own "spin" on it. I just stitch what I love. It's supposed to be relaxing. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cute pincushions might be fun. Or cute potholders.
    Lori

These are my current obsession. Everyone I know is getting one for their birthday this year.

http://www.lbg-studio.com/2011/10/12...organizer.html

The directions seem lengthy, but they are very easy to make.

Fabric boxes? Any size, I've made little ones to hold stuff on end tables, and a huge one to stow all the knitting projects I'm currently working on.
    :-)
    CAS

teacup, yes, very versatile and handy too. I like that.

Sallyflime, very unique idea, but I'm not a fan of using dyes. I saw something similar to that and the person put inspiration quotes on hers, sort of on a diagonal.

umademesew, lots of ideas there. Voodoo dolls... probably not, lol. There aren't many shows where I am anymore, not for the last 10 years or so. There used to be many crafts consignment shops and boutiques, but no more. There is one about 1/2 hour away and the last time I went there it was loaded with AG doll clothes.

Doggramma, I do like potholders, you can be so creative with them. I haven't attempted a pincushion yet but a few years back I did buy a bag of ground walnut shells for them.

I was thinking of something like a small happy hanging thing, maybe 6x8. Picture a pennant or check or pinwheel border with a applique droopy daisy/other flower on it, a little mouse or bunny underneath or butterfly (not that I can draw any of these), and embroidery that says "Be Fabulous!" or something like that. Something that you would see first thing, like near the coffee pot or bathroom mirror or your work space. Corny?
    Last edited by Butterfli19; 07-07-2014 at 06:11 PM.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Hats? Baby puzzle balls? Baby busy books? People love to buy for babies.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I saw a picture of those quilted slippers a couple days ago....WISH I could remember where.....they were made for a bride in whites and ecrus and the maker had added beading to spiffy them up. Really pretty!

Here are two links for patterns: http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...AG-PATTERN.htm

http://www.rufflesandstuff.com/2009/...-slippers.html

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Come to my house. I have a lot of UFOs. You can help me get them done :-)

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
    These are my current obsession. Everyone I know is getting one for their birthday this year.

http://www.lbg-studio.com/2011/10/12...organizer.html
    The directions seem lengthy, but they are very easy to make.
    Thanks for the link to a neat pattern. I think I would add one thing to this patter and that is a spot to hold a pen/pencil. Maybe a piece of elastic on the inside of the spine where it folds. It doesn't seem right to have a pad to write on without something to write with close by.

You're right, citruscountyquilter! I have started to add a pen loop. Not sure why the designer omitted one, because it's so easy to add!

Blog Entries
    If you sign in to this website, you will get a new list of ideas daily. The hats look like great idea.

http://www.allfreesewing.com/section.../action/signup
    Ken

marymay, lol! Too funny!

KenZ, what a great site! Plenty of ideas there, I seem to be drawn to those zip bags for some reason. Such a variety of ways to make them unique.
    Nancy

Just keep going!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast