Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I really hate this quilt now!! >

I really hate this quilt now!!

I really hate this quilt now!!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM

I made a black and white quilt top a year ago that I wasn't real crazy about so it got shoved into the closet. Yesterday I pulled it out and decided to finish it. I sandwiched it and started to machine quilt it still not liking it a lot.
Today I spent almost 3 hours removing all the machine quilting and then started over. Sewed on it all afternoon and then at about 10pm decided to finish up some of the SID and then would work on the "fancy" stuff tomorrow. Sewed about 8 inches and was repositioning the darn thing, my foot hit the pedal and I sewed right through my fingernail!! Thank goodness the needle broke or I'd still be there attached to that #$#@ quilt!!
After I got my finger to quit bleeding and cleaned the quilt and sewing machine (it's amazing how much a finger bleeds!!) I've had it with this one!!
Question: what do I do about the hole in the middle of my fingernail?? The nail didn't split-it's a perfect needle hole.
Sorry--just had to whine to someone.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM

OWWWW I am so sorry you had this trouble. I don't know what to do about the hole. Maybe Gai will know. She is a nurse.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 PM

I saw a lady a few years ago who wore a tiny stud earring in her fingernail... I thought it looked weird, but when you asked I immediately had an image of that lady, lol!

Really, though, you might be able to fill it in with a bit of clear polish, let it dry, then file it down so it's even, and then put a bit of coloured nail polish and it might not show...
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM

I can so relate! I sewed through my left thumb a number of years ago, broke the needle off IN my finger! Couldn't find a stinkin' pair of pliers in the house and I was the only one home. By the time I got it out, it hurt like a son-of-a-gun! But it didn't bleed at all.

Just the other day I cut through my fingernail while dicing onions or something similar. I just put some clear nail polish on it and am in the process of growing it out. I did put about 3 coats right over the cut.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:20 PM

Oh, ouch!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Just use some antibacterial ointment and keep it dry and clean for a couple of days. The nail will grow out. As for the quilt, don't give up. Finish it. You were sewn into it; it wants to be finished and be with you. Maybe when is finished it will become your favorite, once the nail doesn't hurt any more.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Unless the needle went completely thru, I'd be careful about sealing a puncture wound. I tend to agree with Maride, keep it clean and dry for awhile until the nail grows out past the wound. Tell hubby you can't wash dishes!! ;)

I'm sorry you were hurt...and that you don't like the quilt!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Super glue. It fixes what duct tape can't.

It's the quilts revenge for not liking it, thus the sewing thru your finger. Now we wanna see the quilt. just use hydrogen peroxide to clean out the blood (then rinse well), and post a photo!
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

I agree, I think you should finish the quilt...just to spite it! Then, give it as a gift to someone who will love it! (providing it doesn't look like a piece of forensic evidence from your finger...)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Ouch! I am so sorry. thats gone to hurt for a while. leave the hole alone, it will act like a drainage, and keep pressure of your finger. Penny