Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If You Could Chose One from >

If You Could Chose One from

If You Could Chose One from

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 PM

And, like my kids, he lived through it. They use a lot less/no fragrances in the paper diapers now, so I would be tempted to use them if I was a young mother now.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:49 AM

Me, I'd go with the old again. Always preferred them. Preferred them for fit, for baby's comfort, for economics, the environment, but most of all the convenience of always having diapers on hand when I needed them. Cloth diapers always seemed more like real diapers to me than disposables.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Clean family tv shows. Neighbors who visit. Kids being able to play outside until dark with no worries of harm.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 AM

Yesterday I went to a family bridal shower. I sat with a 26 year old granddaughter who is a wife and mother. If I talked, she answered otherwise she just sat there, but she can Facebook like a pro. ( like her mother ). After a while, I noticed she wasn't around then I found out she left. Didn't even have the manners to say goodby.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Yesterday I went to a family bridal shower. I sat with a 26 year old granddaughter who is a wife and mother. If I talked, she answered otherwise she just sat there, but she can Facebook like a pro. ( like her mother ). After a while, I noticed she wasn't around then I found out she left. Didn't even have the manners to say goodby.
I believe it. People skills and class have gone down the toilet nowadays. Our world has turned totally animalistic. Not a care about anyone or anything, and everything is disposable.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Conartist1945 View Post
A real person on the other line rather than a recording
They have this throughout the state of Oregon, by law. I often wonder why they don't do the same thing in other states, it would provide a lot of jobs!
Old 07-11-2017, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

I remember how hard it was for my grandmother. Wringer washer may be fun when you were a child but it's drudgery when it had to be used all the time, even in winter. No clothes dryer, clothes had to be hung up and taken down in winter too, clothes had to be ironed, no permanent press fabric. No dishwasher, someone had to wash the mounds of dishes and cooking pans. Mops had to wrung out by hand. Do you know who hard that is to do that twenty or more times per mopping? Older cars were did not have the safety features we have today. Old gas engines that were easy to fix drank gas. We couldn't afford to drive one today. Mom and Pop stores that only sold what they wanted to sell not what you wanted. The things I miss is because I was a child and miss the memories of them. Not the doing of them. My kids say the same thing about missing things from their childhood.

One thing I wish I could bring back is the quality of education that was in the grade schools then.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-11-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:49 AM

Anyone else notice how the old days of holding a door open out of courtesy for the next person has all but disappeared? I'm also turned-off as to how me, myself, and I, this world has become. I notice it a lot when shopping, and not just with the younger generation. People parking their shopping carts carelessly (dead centre) in the isle and as you approach, little effort is made to move. Also notice the lack of "excuse me" used when another person walks past an in front of you while you're selecting something from the shelves.

While it amounts to little things, when added up together, they prove to be much bigger in scale, and the filthy language I hear today, and how freely it's used tells me everything I need to know about the direction our world and society is going. Also, whatever happened to offering help to a neighbour or someone in need? Seems those days are gone, too.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:33 AM

Days when Moms were home raising their family,eating out was unknown,Dad was our repairman,fixing everything including the car.Days when a school principal was likely to stop by your house if any of us got in trouble.When just a look from Dad caused us kids to "fly right & straighten up".

Every "back then" leads to another.....Days of being safe covers it for me.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

My sister and I rode our bikes all over our town (7 miles long, 10 miles wide). We never dreamed of anyone stopping their car and grabbing us away. Kids disappear all the time now. It makes me glad that I did not bring anyone into this world.