Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: If you like humming birds, you'll love this!

If you like humming birds, you'll love this!

I quilt, therefore I am.

Love hummers!! Ours don't come till mid June, but we put out feeders and usually get a couple of pair. They are so fun to watch---very territorial of the feeders.

Love hummingbirds. We've had a mild winter in Pacific Northwest and my hummers showed up in February. They flew up to the slider (their favorite location) and stared in the window at us. Walking out onto the deck can get dangerous as they dart between locations and when I take a feeder down to refill (they have no patience).

Blog Entries
    Ours' should be back around the first of May.

Our feeders get overrun with bees and in the evening the deer lick them dry. Anyone have a helpful solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
    Love hummingbirds. We've had a mild winter in Pacific Northwest and my hummers showed up in February. They flew up to the slider (their favorite location) and stared in the window at us. Walking out onto the deck can get dangerous as they dart between locations and when I take a feeder down to refill (they have no patience).
    I'm always amazed (and a little jealous) to read things like this. For the past several years I've had feeders out but only a handful of times have I ever seen more than one hummer at a time. They are very stingy with their appearances, but I take what I can get. I've more of a challenge this year as I just moved into a 5th floor apartment ... but I'm going to try!!
    Pat

We had the bee problem, went to the wild bird store and got "bee guards" those little yellow petal things that fit over the nectar hole. Hope that helps. We also had the feeders on a pully thing that we could raise quite high. Kind of like a flag pole adaptation. I just love watching them I nick named them the Jetsons! We only have the Ruby Throated hummers here.

Thank you for the link Ditter, lots of neat photos most of us will never get to see. Boy the babies sure do grow fast.
    Have shared the link with family, my feeder is already out and am waiting. Then it will be putting the grape jelly out for the Orioles, so they will stay away from the nectar feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Thank you for the link Ditter, lots of neat photos most of us will never get to see. Boy the babies sure do grow fast.
    Have shared the link with family, my feeder is already out and am waiting. Then it will be putting the grape jelly out for the Orioles, so they will stay away from the nectar feeder.
    ..grape jelly? Explain please

Thanks for this link...really interesting!

Blog Entries
    Ditter, (and everyone) please enjoy these fabulous pictures! And thanks for showing us the blog.
    http://www.boredpanda.com/hummingbird-bird-photography/

In SW Washington state I have resident hummers that stay all year! And more come in March/April! Several times a day in winter I hang out "thawed" nectar for them. A hint: when I had a broken ankle and could not go out into the yard I hung a little Command hook on the window and hung one of the little Planter box feeders on it. Just have to open the window to fill so now I get to enjoy it up close all day! At this time of year I fill it twice a day at least.

My poor dog stuck her nose out of the window yesterday and a female hummer hovered a inch from it! Looked like she thought it was a new feeder!! Weirder is that my dog does not even seem to notice them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43 View Post
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Loved seeing that, thank you so much. Mine came back early March. Can't wait to see them come back each year.

Very cool! I saw a white one around my backyard the other day!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the wonderful videos, Ditter. I love the hummers and have a collection of blown glass, and wind chime hummers, lamps, vases, etc, that I have received as gifts. My mother loved them so much and I always think of her when I see them. Glad to see you back on the board again. I know people missed you. Happy you are my friend.

Blog Entries
    Love hummers. One just showed up a few days ago. The earliest we have ever seen.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Ditter and Kitsie, thank you very much for posting one of my favorite things.,
    June

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ditter. Glad you got your garden in so we could all enjoy all the fun and wonderful things you find to share.

If you've never read it, you should go to Amazon and search "A Hummingbird In My House". It's the story of a hummer that wintered over in someone's house. It is fascinating.

This thread made me go looking for a webcam I watched a few years ago. This was a live camera on a hummer nest. I was totally addicted to but haven't watched for a long time. Now I can't find it so if anyone knows the fate of Phoebe the Hummingbird, I'd love to know. There are still lots of YouTube videos of her but I don't see anything since 2014. She evidently disappeared and this video shows the rescue of her chicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFN--ct0nzc
    Last edited by sparkys_mom; 04-26-2015 at 04:56 AM.
    Pat

Make a swing for your hummingbird.

I read about making a swing on the net somewhere. Take a 3 or 4 inch long skewer and hang it from a tree branch with 2 pieces of string. Make it look like a swing.
    My hummers aren't here yet; they usually come around Mother's Day. But I want to have my swing ready for them.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ditter! I love hummers! Lucky for me they are year-round residents here, although I think there are only four of them visiting my feeder and flowers. They are great to watch.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Dew View Post
    We had the bee problem, went to the wild bird store and got "bee guards" those little yellow petal things that fit over the nectar hole. Hope that helps. We also had the feeders on a pully thing that we could raise quite high. Kind of like a flag pole adaptation. I just love watching them I nick named them the Jetsons! We only have the Ruby Throated hummers here.
    Thanks! I haunt the nature stores and have never seen Bee Guards! Will check this out!

Power Poster
    Thanks..I love the little hummers...