Im jumping with joy

Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 AM

Default Im jumping with joy

One of my daughters has recently gone through classes to become a Doula (October) . She wants to become a midwife snd a Doula is the first step towards that goal. Fifteen minutes ago (6:00 am) she was woken up by her cell phone ringing. Part of her training is she has to assist in I believe 2 births as being a Doula for free within a certain amount of time. Well shes on her way to the hospital to assist in her very first birth. She is so excited to officially be beginning her new career. Shes not quitting her job, but I have a feeling that shes not going to work today. Her boss knows that this may happen and is behind my daughter 100%. As a mother I am very proud of my daughter. She has no children of her own but was there with her best friend when she had a home birth 4 years ago and ever since that day shes wanted to become a midwife. As she was getting ready to leave and miraculously she was up, brushed her teeth put her hair in a pigtail and out the door within 10 minutes I said a very heartfelt prayer for God to be in control and to give my daughter all the strength, and courage and the tender touches she will surely need today and to keep both mommy to be and baby safe and to guide the doctors and nurses. Shes going to be tired today by the time she gets home.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

What a wonderful daughter!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 AM

Good day for her! Congratulations to her for following her dream.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

What a great occupation! To be there to greet and welcome a new soul.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Good for her. my step dtr is a nurse mid-wife and has delivered at least 2,000 babies!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 AM

I think that will be a wonderful career for her. Good for her for following her dream - and good for you for giving her all the encouragement she needs.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:18 PM

What a wonderful career she has chosen! Best wishes to her in her work!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

From experience I can say that birthwork is the most fatiguing, demanding, fulfilling, uplifting, and spiritual work a woman can do for another woman. Helping to facilitate a birth by having a mom change positions, or encouraging a dad to give palliative care, or being a go-between the birthing couple, the staff and the grandparents, all make for precious connections during this special time.

I remember the first time I held a newborn a week after attending her birth; she looked up at me with the most sweet, intense eyes that said, "Oh, that's who you are!," my heart leapt. She *knew* my voice, she knew me, too.

Your daughter has taken on a glorious challenge with this career. Blessings to her over and over as she attends these moms during the most significant passage of their lives. No wonder you are over the moon with delight and pride!

Jan in VA
Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 PM

Thanks everyone. Evidentally today was actually a substitute for the Doula that was scheduled to be there as she was out of town and on her way home and that is why my daughter was called in. She stayed for 5 hours which was a couple hours after the Doula got to the hospital. The were more then pleased to have my daughter stay to get some "hands on training" from an experienced Doula. When my daughter came home she was literally "on top" of the world from the excitement even though she wasnt there for the birth today. She jabbered on and on and on about the great experience her day was. And she was just so overwhelmed with emotions. She said that the mom to be was having back to back contractions and they were quite strong and did not want anything for pain and that with my daughters help she was able to bear the pain. Im still jumping for joy. I havent a clue yet if the baby is here yet or not as this is her first baby and they have a mind of their own. But as soon as my daughter finds out I will let you know.
On another note... Sunday she will do it again with another mom to be for a scheduled induction and she will be the only Doula. Shes so excited.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

She is to be admired. As a nurse of 40 plus years myself I know how important it is to have a caring gentle person at your side. I also am proud of her.....Three cheers for her....