Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm soooo glad....

my house is made of cement and ALL my floors are tile, to include the baseboards!
    Today was one of Courtney's short days at work, so I spend the 3 hours in town instead of driving back home.
    Had a nice morning having coffee with a friend just chit-chatting, then went to the store and back to get Courtney. We come home, drive into the carport and there's water on the carport. I looked at Courtney and said....it didn't rain, why is there water all over the carport? So, I unlock the door and a 2 inch waterfall of water rushes out. Coming down the stairs is a nice waterfall. I run up the stairs, kicking off my slippahs and into Courtney's bathroom. Her toilet is spewing water all over. I get the water shut off and try to figure out WHY the drain in the bathroom didn't work and notice the drain is covered by papers. The water knocked over her trashcan, it wasn't full, so the papers floated out and covered the drain. Her bedroom AND my sewing room are on the 2d floor. Only water on 2d floor was a little bit under a small table and chair I have at the stairs. BUT...the entire 1st floor has about an inch and half of water. Kitchen, livingroom AND dining room. Not to mention the downstairs bathroom. Drain wasn't working well in that bathroom because water wetted down box of catlitter and it fell apart, partially covering that drain. We have a storage area under the stairs that has a 2 inch stepdown to it. Yup! Water up to the top of that too! EVERYTHING had to come out. We worked continuously for 3 hours, ok, we took a 10 min break. We got it all cleaned up. Used EVERY towel in the house to do it. Emptied the shopvac 47 times. Yup, I counted! Once we had everything pretty much done, I called Bill. He was at work on the ship and was to be there overnight. Told him what happened and he came home. Sure, we are pretty much done, well...laundry room needed cleaning too...water got in there, but the drain worked in that room. Go figure!
    So, my house is a mess, my body aches very badly and I just want to crawl into bed and not come out for a few days.
    I finally did get back into Courtneys bathroom to see what was going on and why there was water. The coupling on the toilet cracked...stupid plastic! So, now I get to go to Home Depot in the morning after taking Courtney to work and get the part I need to fix toilet.
    I'm just SOOO happy nothing got ruined. Water did get under the feet of my curio cabinet, but I think it will be ok. I sopped up the water, dried around it as best I could and there are 2 fan blowing on the legs/feet to make sure it is dry, dry, dry!
    Anyone want to come help me put all the stuff back where it belongs in 2 days? That's how long we need to wait to make sure the cubby under the stairs is dry.
    Can I have a DO-OVER for today????

Awwww MAN! What a nightmare! Must have seemed like the water would never go away. Glad nothing got ruined though. Think of all the calories you burned clearing it all up....you deserve CHOCOLATE CAKE!

:lol:

If I had the energy to eat it, it would be nice. I have no energy at all. Hurts to even drink my coffee!

Oh man Terri sorry to hear about that. I had that happen about 8 months ago. The hose just BLEW right off the toliet, I ran up and Bob ran down to the shut offs, oh and it was at 4:45 in the morning just before we left for work. Had it waited 20 more mintues I would have had a new bathroom, kitchen, blah, blah, blah, because the kid slept right through the commotion and had no clue. :lol: I agree stupid plastic, we now have a metal hose.

Sorry about your plumbing problems, but at least nothing was ruined. Hopefully, the rest of your week goes better.

Oh man, I think you need wine and a hot tub.

Oh Terri, how awful!!! Feel your pain. Glad nothing got ruined and hope your curio is ok. I can just imagine your panic when you opened the door! At least Courtney was there to help you!!!

Oh my goodness Terri -- how awful!!! But at least you had help to clean up
    some of the mess. Poor baby!! Take some Advil and go sleep for about
    12 hours -- you'll feel much better then!!

Well, look at it this way...once everything gets put back, the house is clean for a month or so (it was clean water, right??) :lol: :lol: :lol: No house cleaning = more time at the machine!!! You must really have some water pressure there to blow out the couplings on the water line!! I had the sewer back up a couple times til I got rid of the huge tree in the back yard. I live in a split, so the upstairs tub and sink drain into the same drain as the kitchen sink, 1/2 floor below. The kids take a shower upstairs and it spews out of the sink drain in the kitchen :shock: :shock: I scrubbed for days til I felt it was clean :evil: :evil: I feel for you..and check the other toilets for soon to be disasters while you're at it :D

Quote Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
    Oh man, I think you need wine and a hot tub.
    Wine is chilled and waiting for you here...come on!

Banned
    yikes...... that stunk big time. sorry you had to go thru that kiddo. i hope today is a better day for you

My heart breaks for you and my back feels for you, what a mess! glad nothing was ruined, I think it is for every bad thing that happens to you, you get 3 good things, so be on the lookout! :D

Ninnie

Thanks all! I'm on my way for the wine!!

I've got some Motrin in my system, just need it to kick in and work. Wish I could just sleep for the next day and not worry about anything, but have to get Courtney to work in the morning, then off to Home Depot. Maybe there'll be something else there I need. lol
    Oh yes....Duct Tape! I do need some of that! lol
    WD40 and Duct Tape, a girls best friend!

I'm pretty sure the water couldn't have been flowing that long, but then again, by the way the cubby under the stairs was flooded.....I dunno.
    I'll leave the fans blowing on the legs/feet of the curio for the next day or 2 just to make sure.

Poor Big Boy, he was hiding in the corner by the couch. Guess it was one of the only dry places for him. Monique, she was on the dining table. The poor things......and YES, they both got treats once everything was cleaned up.

Oh, Terri I feel your pain......We had this problem once and it meant replacing carpets which ended up being a lot of work for us. (I know we had insurance but we still ended up moving everything ourselves not to mention it was extremely inconvenient) It was lucky you don't have carpet, they tried drying the carpet to salvege it and it stunk to high Heaven as it started to mold.....(now there's a smell I won't forget-EVER)

There are some things you just don't want to do again....

I wish I could get there quick to pour the wine...

Pat Big Boy for me and tell him, "No more floods!"

Seriously, glad nothing was permanently harmed.

(Where are husbands when you need them?????)

Blog Entries
    So sorry Terri ! Wish I was there to help with the clean up and put back together . I had my basement flood several times and it has carpet and paneling so I can feel your pain, it really sucks.... Drink the wine, relax and go to your happy place
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}} but not too hard since you are so sore :wink:
    Sharon

Sorry Terri.....my I can just imagine the mess you had...we been having troubles with our commode too....hope things are better today....:-)....

Gee I wish a bunch of us had been there, we could clean it up quick. Remember vinegar is good for mold and mildew just in case. I glad you did not have big losses :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    OMG Terri, I'm SO sorry! You do not deserve something like that! I wish I could come and help clean up. Hope kitties are feeling less stressed and that you have had that wine and relaxed! Sending HUGS!!!

K x

Oh man! That is just terrible! I hope the rest of the week goes much better for you.

So sorry! Take a couple of days off, girl. I had a hose on the washer blow while I was out - water all over the kitchen, hall, into the living room, dining room, and down the basement stairs. Husband out of town of course. I never run the washer or dishwasher and leave now. Another time the sump pump died and water all over the basement. I lost my Christmas decorations but my family photos were up high. I would tell you to keep an eye on the other toilets, but I think you probably will be. I was spooked enuf to check my washer for months! Even when I was home!

Izy
    Oh Terri, I feel so sorry for you!!

Thank God your fabric and quilting stuff wasn't affected :shock:

I hope by now you are over the worst and at least you can open all the windows and doors to air the place out. I have my fingers crossed that all your belongings aren't damaged.

No wonder you are cream crackered, thank god Courtney was there to help you..... :D

Quote Originally Posted by Izy
    Oh Terri, I feel so sorry for you!!

Thank God your fabric and quilting stuff wasn't affected :shock:

I hope by now you are over the worst and at least you can open all the windows and doors to air the place out. I have my fingers crossed that all your belongings aren't damaged.

No wonder you are cream crackered, thank god Courtney was there to help you..... :D
    Cream crackered?

I usually start with a good cry (feeling sorry for myself), then I'd go with the Motrin (for muscle pain) and (wine for mental pain) and then if it's really bad, I'll move onto Tequila. Aren't wetvacs great!

Blog Entries
    DH once took the little screen out of the washing machine intake. IT KEPT GETTING DIRTY AND HE HAD TO RINSE IT OUT ALL THE TIME. :shock: Apparently one of those little impurities made its way into the machine and gave the water measuring sensor a false reading. While we were outside, the inside filled with water. I do know how you feel.

Sending you hugs from CA. Glad the mess wasn't worse.

Oh Terri! I'm glad everything is OK now - except those poor muscles of yours. Holy mackerel!!
    One Monday morning when I came to work there were fire engines out front....seems the hot water line in the men's restroom broke & the entire place had about 2" - 3" of HOT water standing! All the windows were steamed up - we had sooo many boxes of paper forms on the floor too! ICK! But, that was the cleanest these old floors have ever been once we were dried out!
    Now, do you & Courtney prefer plain or peanut M&Ms? :wink:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast