Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Infrared/Tourmaline mat for back pain? >

Infrared/Tourmaline mat for back pain?

Infrared/Tourmaline mat for back pain?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Infrared/Tourmaline mat for back pain?

Do any of you have an infrared/tourmaline/jade mat for back pain? If so, how do you like it?
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

how does it work and who is carrying it>
Old 03-12-2018, 03:34 AM

Having back and hip pain I had to look these up. Most are close to the $200 price range, some are over. Seems to be a fancy dancy heating pad, but non electrical. Can't tell if you recline against it in your chair or suppose to stand on it when cutting fabric....guessing it's used for your chair. I saw one that was FDA approved. Somehow I have my doubts if most of these are authentic.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Lynnie, it works in several different ways, depending on the model. Pulsed electromagnetics, infrared heat and the healing energy from the crystals. They are very expensive, IMO, but have good reviews. One brand is Healthy Line.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 PM

I don't use a mat, but I do useBeurer Infrared Heat Lamp. It is available on Amazon and the price has dropped to $48. It was as much as $65. A friend told me about using an infrared bulb (250 to 300 watts) in a goose neck lamp. I found this one and swear by it. In fact, I have purchased 10 as gifts over the past couple of years for those in pain. It has a timer that goes up to 15 minutes and shuts off automatically. You can use it all over your body placing it 10 to 12 inches away from your skin. It can be used multiple times a day, but if you are using it for sinus headaches, make sure to wait 2 hours in between sessions. I works for headaches, sore muscles whether on your neck, back, legs, etc. The infrared light promotes healing by heating your blood and bringing white blood cells to your sore area. I have used it when I get a cold, head or chest, and I've avoided bronchitis with it. It also aids in the healing of cuts or surgical incisions. In fact,, since I've been using it I've not had a bout of bronchitis which was happening about every 6 months. For my back, I either lay on the bed or on the sofa and position the lamp on a kitchen chair or little table so the sore area gets the light. I really should be getting a kick back from Amazon for all of the lamps I have purchased and recommended, but alas that doesn't happen. I hope this helps you in your quest for relief of back pain.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 PM

Use caution when using infrared heat, especially if you have any hardware in you. My back surgeon told me it can cause the metal screws, plates, etc., you had placed during back or neck surgery, to heat up & cause tissue damage.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 AM

I've also been warned to not use heat on my back pain, only ice. Guess we all have different issues and different remedies.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:11 AM

MamaLinda, Ice is for immediate inflamed injuries. Heat is okay for old worn out backs. I intensely dislike icing any body part!

Feather3, No metal in my back or shoulders, just my feet.