Instructions for gussett

Old 11-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Good Morning All

I have a pattern for boys pj's but I want to put in a gussett. As the pattern doesn't have a gussett or instructions, can anyone help me to put one in??? :)

Marge
Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Just wondering, where on the PJ's do you need a gusset?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 AM

This might help: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...usset_in_pants
This one has video for inserting a gore but I think you could adapt it for a gusset: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...usset_in_pants
Hope the information is useful to you!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:41 PM

These are pretty easy to put in. I usually have to add one now and then in the shirts I buy. I take the curved parts off the bottoms, especially on men's shirts, which are made much better than women's. I am well endowed so even when it fits everywhere else, I need just a little bit more in the boobs area.

Two long diamonds from the tails with bottoms longer than tops, long parts to go down the shirt, then sew one side from seam to bottom, then from seam to top. Start at the bottom and pin the raw sides together and sew that one all the way, back stitching at start and finish. Clear as mud?

I've seen some very expensive slacks made this way. Some fabrics are so expensive that the only way to save on it is to add a little gussett instead of wasting extra fabric for where heavy hips need it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:28 PM

Ramona,
Great idea!!! I never thought about doing this for a shirt/top, but I’d really like to learn how. I have a very difficult time with the fit of woven tops because of large bust vs. otherwise small and petite size. I’m having trouble picturing it from your description. Could you send a sketch or picture of what you do? Sounds like it would be a life-saver for me… You could PM me so we don't high jack this thread. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
These are pretty easy to put in. I usually have to add one now and then in the shirts I buy. I take the curved parts off the bottoms, especially on men's shirts, which are made much better than women's. I am well endowed so even when it fits everywhere else, I need just a little bit more in the boobs area.

Two long diamonds from the tails with bottoms longer than tops, long parts to go down the shirt, then sew one side from seam to bottom, then from seam to top. Start at the bottom and pin the raw sides together and sew that one all the way, back stitching at start and finish. Clear as mud?

I've seen some very expensive slacks made this way. Some fabrics are so expensive that the only way to save on it is to add a little gussett instead of wasting extra fabric for where heavy hips need it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Thank you for your instructions. I did understand what you were saying, so maybe I was not using the right terminalogy. What I am looking for is instructions to put in a fly opening, which I thought was a gussett. (I'm not too bright) I have the pattern piece, just not sure how to put it in. Can you help me with that?? I sure hope so, it's been quite a while since I made boys pants, which have an actual zipper, etc.

Thanks again.
Marge
Old 11-20-2010, 02:28 PM

This might help: http://sewing.about.com/library/sewn.../aaqa0500b.htm
Old 11-21-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks Doxie Mom. That is a great help, and I have printed it, now I can get started with the pj's. If the first one turns out good, I will be making more the Xmas.

Thanks again.

Marge
Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM

I'm glad I could help. Some of my very best Christmas memories are of pjs and flannel nighties my great aunt would make for us every year! Your loved ones are lucky to have you!!! Good luck with your projects!

Originally Posted by love to quilt
Thanks Doxie Mom. That is a great help, and I have printed it, now I can get started with the pj's. If the first one turns out good, I will be making more the Xmas.

Thanks again.

Marge