Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: insurance

Our home insurance is due and adding on a membership fee of $45 and a 'volunteer' fee for lobbyists of $3. aagh! We do not want them anymore. We are a basic 3 bd ranch and now paying over $1400 as it is.
    I have heard that it is not good to have home and auto together because if you lose one, then you lose both.
    Where do you go - are yours together -any complaints?

Blog Entries
    AutoOwners for both and they have been wonderful to deal with. Total a car to find out how nice your insurance company is to deal with. I managed to do that on Dec 27th. I find the rates very reasonable. I like mine together because there is a discount for it, though they are totally separate policies.

Blog Entries
    Try to get new quotes for all insurance agencies in your area.
    I finally gave up on a company that I used for over 15 years, when auto
    insurance (Sr. citizen, no accidents, no tickets for over 40 years!) reached
    almost $1000, and miles driven was under 5,000 annually. Found another
    company who gave me SAME coverage and 40% less premiums.

Bid it out. You will be amazed.

My GF uses AutoOwners also and swears by them.

Blog Entries
    I would make some calls and see who can offer you a better deal :D:D:D

I use a small local company for both home and auto, no one can beat them. You get a discount for having both.

Get a local agent who represents several companies and ask them to shop it around.

Are you a member of AARP? check them.I have both my auto and home policies with same co(Not thru AARP) and get a discount because of that,but my ex mother in law went thru a company sponsered by AARP and got a substantial difference in cost

We have auto and homeowners with same company. There is discount for having both with same company. Have had the same conmpany for over 40 years.
    If you decide to change companies, becareful and don't let insurance lapse, with your present company, before getting overage with new company.
    Each state has differnt insurance regulations.

EX. I live less than one mile from the ocean. If I let present coverage lapse, I may not be able to get insurance.

We have our farmowner's/home, auto, and life policies all with the same company. And we pay a yearly membership fee of $32. We have never considered changing our insurance as we are very happy with the company. Our total bill for all of it is about $8400.

Blog Entries
    Good gracious - I have finally found something in the US that is way dearer than here! I was under the impression that almost everything in the US was cheaper, but obviously not with insurance.

I only paid 300 for my car insurance in November, for Fully Comprehensive, with full no claims bonus. My car is a small family sized one, with not many frills. My house insurance was 450 for a property valued at 200,000. (includes contents).

it all depends on where you live, what kind of car you have. I think mine combined (car and house) is about $900.

Blog Entries
    I been with the same company for 9 years for both the house and car. this year the price went up $ 616 . I need to find a policy next year that is cheaper.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    We switched to a different company after being with the old one for 20 years.

Have home, life, autos combined with them. Get a discount with having all four together with them. Also saved nearly $200.00 alone on the homeowners insurance and that was with an increase in home value and increase in content coverage.

Have the business insured with a different co.

I have all of our stuff together with one agent. We are curently with Frankenmuth Insurance. I shop insurance around every two or three years though.

Insurance..what a rip off!! By law..gotta have it, and they know it!! Think your insurance is high now? make a claim and see what happens!! We had an ice storm a couple years ago, a big branch fell on my roof, I had no idea if there was any damage but called the ins. right away in case there was. I never got any money from them and had no damage, but they insisted they give me a "claim number" incase anything showed up later, which it didn't. Then they boosted my homeowner's $200/yr (a 50% increase) and told me unless I paid to have the entire tree taken down, they would no longer cover my roof for any tree damage! Its an oak in really good shape and very healthy. I got rid of Am Family and sent my business elsewhere :-)

Homeowners is okay. Truck insurance seems too high, our company saved lots of money for contents and small business truck with a well known company, I'm calling that brocker before the truck insurance runs out. No accidents, tickets and sits in the drive way almost everyday, driven less than 20 miles per week, most weeks.

Have been with Allstate for almost 40 yrs. and have 3 br ranch. Have car, house, boat all with them and my premiums are no where near that high.

Also check out AAA. We were with State Farm for 40 years for home, auto, etc. Now living in Florida, State Farm announced they were planning to get out of home insurance in Florida because "they weren't paid enough." Although they have changed their minds, we saw the writing on the wall for the future and started looking around. We live in a community where you buy your home on a 99-year-lease and pay a maintenance fee that includes insurance on the outside. State Farm considers this a condo so doesn't provide full-home coverage. With AAA we now have full-home coverage, auto insurance, and other coverage for the same price we paid State Farm and AAA isn't planning to leave if a hurricane hits.

Blog Entries
    WOW, I KNOW IT DOESN'T MAKE YOU FEEL ANY BETTER, BUT JUST BE GLAD YOU DON'T LIVE ON lONG iSLAND, OUR RATES ARE CRAZY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Good gracious - I have finally found something in the US that is way dearer than here! I was under the impression that almost everything in the US was cheaper, but obviously not with insurance.

I only paid 300 for my car insurance in November, for Fully Comprehensive, with full no claims bonus. My car is a small family sized one, with not many frills. My house insurance was 450 for a property valued at 200,000. (includes contents).
    As you say. GOOD GRACIOUS I cannot believe the prices you pay for your insurance in USA. As you say, it depends on where you live which is the same here, and as I live in the city, mine is not the cheapest, about 300 for my car and under 200 for my house and contents, although it is only a small 2 bed , so anything bigger would be more.
    And here we are all envious because of your low fabric prices, so some you win amd some you lose.

I had insurance with Allstate for years and years.no accidents no tickets. I bought a used car and needed full coverage because I had to take out a loan to get it. My insurance went sky high.Crazy ridiculous high.
    A friend told me about Farm Bureau. My daughter now has it and has everything but her motorcycle with them. They don't insure motorcycles.Her insurance for her car is only $80 something dollars every 3 months. For a Saturn Sl or maybe that was for Both Saturns she had. I think it was
    http://www.farmbureauadvantage.com/Pages/Home.aspx
    It seems to be listed by state as in Farm Bureau of.....
    This is the most comprehensive site I could find.

I have 4 autos, homeowners-farm/ranch policy, life policies and commercial policy all with same company for 40 years. I get discounts for having multiple line, multicar, vehicle safety and accident-free, also still have $500 deductible, which I understand is hard if not impossible to get with a new policy now days.

Blog Entries
    Our son got a new job with an insurance co., so of course, I had him get us estimates. We had been with Allstate for over 40 yrs. We signed on with the new insurance company and saved over $800/yr, and increased our coverage as well. Plus we have a blanket policy which protects us, something I was concerned about last couple of years.

We have been with American National for many years, get great discounts on auto and home. The only thing I hate is we also have to have Wind Storm ($3000) and Flood ($1004)and it is a set price. That is what you get when you live near the coast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast