Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Which iron would you buy...

Blog Entries

Which iron would you buy...

I need a new iron and don't know which one to get!!! I really like something with burst of steam.

Blog Entries
    During our fall retreat, I used a Sunbeam burst of steam iron from the condo. Please note that I am not associated in any way with the company.

I purchased the closest model currently on the market as soon as I got home. The model is GCSBSP-201.

For years, I have wanted an iron which would have been the type I had used when I was doing tailoring. This iron weighs about three pounds and has a large water reservoir. I am using it whenever I quilt. Due to the weight, I will continue to use a light steam iron for general ironing/ pressing of household items.

Blog Entries
    kay, would this be a similar model?
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-1200-W...dp/B00JPCWDJU/

I would like to have just a plain dry iron. I use a spray bottle of water.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I bought a Shark Extended Steam Burst at Walmart a couple of months ago. It has a button to push if you want an extra shot of steam in a certain area, in addition to regular steam. Also has a button for a spray of water. I'm quite satisfied with it. It is heavy enough, not real heavy. I think I tried and returned three different irons before I got this! I hate trying to find a new iron! Good luck with your search.

I use a Black and Decker Digital Advantage. But if you put "Iron" into the search function you will get lots of information - we talk about irons a lot!!! Good luck and I hope you like what you eventually end up with.
    Alyce

I love my Rowenta, made in Germany.

When in doubt, go with one that's easy to read and not too heavy. It's the heat not the weight, that does the work, right? I have a Black n Decker from Goodwill that's lightweight but gets hot fast. Love it. And the marks are very easy to read and it has a button for the burst of steam.

Blog Entries
    I've been quilting since the 1980's, & the issue of defective irons has been a recurrent conversation in our home. Recently, I was 98% finished, with a deadline, when my iron died. I did the unthinkable - I called my husband & asked him to pick up an iron, any iron, on his way home from work. (I know, I know!) Whereas, usually, his criteria is only money, he saw it as a "Tool" & stood there & researched all the options. He came home with a Rowenta Cordless. I couldn't be happier. The iron sits on a heating base, with a retractable cord. The iron is easy to refill, does not leak or "spit". Is lightweight, which gets more important as we age. And, it comes with its own carrying cover. Love it, love it, love it! At least take a look at it!

I'm odd man out here. 1 - I love my Rowenta's...have never had issues with them; 2 - I like a heavy iron. Couldn't really tell you if Rowenta's are heavier than others, though. My grandmother's adage was 'get a heavy iron and let IT do the work for you'. Now granted, that was probably from the days prior to steam irons but I agree completely.

I am also a firm believer in reading the owner's manual/instructions for type of water required for any given iron. Even within the Rowenta line some are made to be used with tap water and others are made to be used with distilled water. I have always used the recommended water type in each Rowenta (I've had a couple due to age and/or droppage) that I've owned and never had the spitting/leakage issues that other's have mentioned.

Blog Entries

info for Prism99

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    kay, would this be a similar model?
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-1200-W...dp/B00JPCWDJU/

This is the iron I purchased. Have a great weekend!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love my Large German Rowenta and my travel Rowenta (actually used one up). As far as steam pressing I do not put water in either of them. I just use a spray bottle. That being said I just ordered a cordless Panasonic because I hate messing with the cord, so I will see how I like that.

Both of my B&D Digital Advantage irons died within a day of each other. I had to find a new one fast last week. Bought a T-Fal steam iron at WM. Good steam, heats up hot enough to press my pieces, so far so good. I do like the way the cord moves out of the way when you set the iron down. Makes it much less likely to tip over. It also doesnt require distilled water, which is a bonus. Good luck with whatever you decide. :-)
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I had a Rowenta that I paid $90.00 and the iron was so heavy. I went and bought a T-fal UltraGlide easycord 4476. I figured if I didn't like it, I could always return it. To be honest, it's the best iron I ever had. The steam is so unbelievable that I could hang anything wrinkled on a hanger, or you could even hold the article yourself and turn on steam and that article will be wrinkle free. When I showed my daughter how good it works, her jaw dropped. I think I paid $34.00 at Walmart or Target. My memory isn't as good as it used to be. Trust me, it's a fantastic iron.

Love my Rowenta Eco. The burst of steam is amazing.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Vermont Country Store sells an old fashioned dry iron and I have two. I would be willing to sell one if you would like. The one I would sell was used at one class. I wish it were a little hotter, but it is perfect to have next to your machine
    while working on paper piecing.
    carly

I am hard on irons. Our well water is full of minerals and I often iron over pins and scratch the bottom. I end up buying a new iron every couple of years. I find one on sale usually less than $35 and use it until it dies and then go looking for a new one. Currently I have Hamilton Beach Durathon. It has great steam, a slightly curved tip and a bigger ironing surface than some of the currently available irons which seem to have these large bottoms and a tiny ironing surface (what is that all about?) It was on sale at Canadian Tire for $33 instead of the regular $50. I had an expensive Shark but found it heavy and it was always shutting off and you had to shake it to wake it up every time which is frustrating when trying to press quilt blocks.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Blog Entries
    Try Vermont Country Store. They have one in their current catalog. Inexpensive.
    Lynne

I love my Reliable--after 2 disappointing Rowentas--the Reliable is my choice--I would like the new one now that steams when you grasp the handle.

Stay away from Olisio, mine is very heavy and it no longer "rises" like it is supposed to. Very bulky to use.
    Michelle Guadarrama

I went to Consumer's Reports to look for an iron that wouldn't spit water at me, or my projects, when I used it and the one recommended was the Panasonic 360 degree iron. It was a little pricey but I have been through so many irons I decided what the heck, I'll try it. I LOVE this iron. My only complaint is it really goes through the water quickly but it never ever drips globbies of water all over me or my projects. And on maximum setting, it is a really hot iron. It shuts off automatically as well but heats up really fast when restarted

I ended up also buying the small portable cordless version of the same iron to use at my sewing table so I can press as I sew. Awesome.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.