Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Its 4 a.m. and the baby won't sleep!

Its 4 a.m. and the baby won't sleep!

He fed at 2 am and has not been able to go back to sleep. So I am up, groggy-eyed, with coffee in hand trying to remember why I wanted to have another baby? I am pretty sure the answer will come to me at some point but for right now, can I trade this 10 month old for a puppy? LOL!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

No, sorry no swaps at the moment "Puppies for babies" LOL
    I can relate, when I remember those late nights/early mornings rocking a baby that was happy to be rocked but wanted nothing to do with the crib.

all with be forgiven when he is taking a nap and you have caught up on some sleep.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Power Poster
    They grow up so fast and then you will wish that they were small again.
    SueDor

Blog Entries
    That is how i found this board - late night feedings.

Enjoy this time. They grow up fast and become teenagers.

mltquilt

Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt View Post
    Enjoy this time. They grow up fast and become teenagers.

mltquilt
    My DD gave me a plaque that says "Grandchildren are the reward you get for not strangling your teenagers." How true!

I have 4 stepchildren, a 12 yr old of my own, 12 granchildren and 4 great grandchildren. Let me check the local ads for puppies and I'll trade. I always wanted a maximum of 12 and a minimum of 8 but when you don't get started being able to conceive and carry until 45, having a large family isn't feasible.

Seriously though, I wish I lived closer, I'd take him for a few days so that you could get some sleep.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Oh I so remember, I also remember I always wished it back having him safe in my arms at 4 am rather than wondering where they were. This is just for a little while teenagers are teens for a lot longer!!

I remember those days and nights. Hopefully you will get a nap in to catch up on sleep. I miss my kids so much! There are times when I see little tykes in stores with their mommies and I think back to when mine were babies. Cherish each moment.
    Sandra

I remember that desperate feeling when you just want sleep, for both of you! With my first baby, she was awake for hours around 2:00 and I finally called my mom in tears, I was just at my wit's end and didn't know what to do (having tried everything). My sisters got on me for it, said I shouldn't scare our mom by calling in the middle of the night. But -- I needed my mom, because that's what moms are for. And now you are a mom...it's a great job!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I remember that desperate feeling when you just want sleep, for both of you! With my first baby, she was awake for hours around 2:00 and I finally called my mom in tears, I was just at my wit's end and didn't know what to do (having tried everything). My sisters got on me for it, said I shouldn't scare our mom by calling in the middle of the night. But -- I needed my mom, because that's what moms are for. And now you are a mom...it's a great job!
    Lol maybe next time call your sisters instead! I wouldn't worry about it, your mom was probably only worried for the 8 seconds it took for you to tell her what the problem was, and I bet if you asked her, she'd tell you she was glad you reached out to her for help.

I remember feeling annoyed when my first son wouldn't sleep, but it was almost 7 years until I had my second son, and I knew good and well to treasure those moments when we were together in that quiet, sleeping house. It helped that I was a stay-home mom by then, too.

It is true, they do grow up fast. I really shouldn't complain, he is a really good baby most of the time. He is having a rough go of teething, dealing with a nasty diaper rash outbreak, and trying to walk all at the same time. That would be enough to disrupt anyone's sleep!

I have always heeded people when they told me to cherish the moments. I know that when my sons are grown, I will have many memories of our shared moments, the good ones and the frustrating ones, to reflect on and I will know that I was as present as possible for each of them. And when they call ME in the middle of the night when their kids won't sleep, I will have a good laugh!!!

Thanks for letting me blow off my steam and for the encouraging words!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
    I have 4 stepchildren, a 12 yr old of my own, 12 granchildren and 4 great grandchildren. Let me check the local ads for puppies and I'll trade. I always wanted a maximum of 12 and a minimum of 8 but when you don't get started being able to conceive and carry until 45, having a large family isn't feasible.

Seriously though, I wish I lived closer, I'd take him for a few days so that you could get some sleep.
    I can relate to this. We had our kids later too and I have often told my husband that I wish we had started trying sooner so we could have had more. If you were closer, I'd take you up on that offer and have a nice long nap!
    Sheila N.

I remember those nights of walking the floors because my daughter had colic for the first 3 months so sleep was a luxury when it came, but then I had a toddler that was 2 so again so sleep. No wonder my hubby says I'm nocturnal I can get by on next to no sleep.
    When the baby is asleep with the face of an angel you will forget all about the crying and walking, I don't have any puppies but I can loan you a boxer that think's he's a lap dog and crying babies don't bother him at all. Wish I lived closer I'd offer to walk the floor so you can sleep

elm
    Sending you positive thoughts for baby taking a very long nap today so you can get some well needed sleep. The early months are an endurance test as I remember it. Hang in there.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL sometimes I used to wish I could trade my kids for a puppy ! but they grew up to be healthy happy adults- with 3 beautiful grands from one DD. I think the years under 5 are the best in life .. after 5 they go to school and take on their friends habits and bring em home!LOL leave those habits at school!LOL and come home my little baby !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I understand. Went through it also.

Blog Entries
    my uncle did trade my mother for a puppy because he already had 4 sisters........that has been almost 100 years ago but no one in the family ever forgets
    not sure who was more upset my grandmother or the lady that suddenly had a 2 week old in her kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    my uncle did trade my mother for a puppy because he already had 4 sisters........that has been almost 100 years ago but no one in the family ever forgets
    not sure who was more upset my grandmother or the lady that suddenly had a 2 week old in her kitchen
    That is to funny!!!!!!
    Nancy "life is about choices may I choose the right one. But if I don't give me another chance"

Power Poster
    I always used Desitin for baby's bottom. I swear you could waterproof a boat with that stuff. A very wise woman once told me, you sleep when baby sleeps no matter what else needs doing. (my mother)

Blog Entries
    If only you were in SOUTH CAROLINA,
    I would love to rock him. J J

Our 4yr old DGS told his mother then little brother wouldn't stop fussing, "see I told you we should have gotten the cat." That just about says it all!
    Debra

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    My DD gave me a plaque that says "Grandchildren are the reward you get for not strangling your teenagers." How true!
    I just reminded my son of this on Christmas...we are going to be first time grandparents this summer...

As far as the trade...I have a needy 5 yr old Chihuahua...but is your 10 month old housebroken???
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
    I just reminded my son of this on Christmas...we are going to be first time grandparents this summer...

As far as the trade...I have a needy 5 yr old Chihuahua...but is your 10 month old housebroken???
    LOL! Unfortunately no, he is not. I gave him some bare bottom time yesterday and he wet the floor! LOL!
    Sheila N.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I always used Desitin for baby's bottom. I swear you could waterproof a boat with that stuff. A very wise woman once told me, you sleep when baby sleeps no matter what else needs doing. (my mother)
    Wise woman, I had a sinkful of dirty dishes yesterday because I did exactly that! I like Desitin too - works well and he is already doing better. Thank goodness we got a little sleep last night (despite 7 wake-ups) my husband and I are now taking shifts. I am a little less punchy today, but still not going anywhere near my sewing room - I'd end up with a needle in my finger or a stack of work to rip out!
    Sheila N.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast