Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Jack and Jill Ripper (my two new seam rippers)

Jack and Jill Ripper (my two new seam rippers)

I bought these seam rippers from Tracy at SewThankful.com (I love her store).

They don't have handles, so I asked my husband to make me a couple. Here is the result.

He took a 3/4" dowel, cut to about 2 3/4" inches drilled a small hole in one end for the seam ripper.
    Then he used some epoxy to hold it in place. Now I have two new rippers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

very nice.. your husband is very handy. thank you for sharing..
    ​DEBRA

Power Poster
    Those are some serious rippers!

Blog Entries
    My DH is a woodworker! Thanks for showing us the rippers.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Handy Hubby! Nice rippers!

They are like the surgical knives that I got from our Farm and Home store. They have a plastic handle and also a knife tip cover. Just be careful, they are really sharp.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful way to make them easier to use. Smart idea...nice hubby to make them for you.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Well done! They look lethal. DH went to use mine the other night. Told him to be careful. gave me this "I don't need to be told how to use them look. Or you talking to me? look." Next thing I know he's heading toward the first aid kit. Why won't they listen. Guess I don't have to tell him again, though.

Blog Entries
    My husband goes to gun shows and buys the surgeon knife that look like that. They come with replacement blades 5 for a dollar. They are the medical supplier guy.

Nice! I love those "scalpel" style seam rippers. I use a Havel's brand that has blades shaped like that and has a handle, but yours looks really nice and ergonomic! (Plus made with love by your DH, that makes them priceless!)

Your seam rippers look deadlier than rotary cutters! Oh, goodness. LOL. Yay for a handy hubby.

I feel the need to repeat--be very very careful with those blades. They are very sharp and can do a lot of damage if you aren't careful. Your DH did a great job on the handles.
    Sue

That's a great idea = I have that seam ripper also and it is okay if you only have to hold it a short while but it does tend to get hard to hold after a while. I have several rippers but those with the surgical blades are really great.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Hmmm..may have to look into those ! Thanks for the idea !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    those are nice. wosh my dh was as handy as yours. you could sell them???
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.