Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Janome 8900

Janome 8900

Has anyone sewn leather on their 8900? I have some leather pieces and want to make something with them, but I don't want to mess up my machine. Any comments? Thanks

I bought an 8900 about 6 months ago and I wouldn't try it. Everything you do on that machine has to be just right or you don't get the results you want. You might try your dealer and they will tell you what to do.

NEVER HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM WITH MY 8900. Sorry I haven't sewn leather... but have sewn heavy vinyl and it did just fine. I adjusted the stitch length to the longest stitch setting and used a leather needle. Love this machine.

You need a leather needle (it cuts tiny slash for point to carry thread thru) , and you should set for slightly longer stitch...3 or 3.5 if possible. Should work fine on other than very dense leather.

Blog Entries
    My 8900 hates sewing bulk...if you have a featherweight with a leather needle...that combination will work well.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

When I went shopping for my 8900, that was one of my questions, since I do repairs on some of my DH's stuff. The dealer sewed a 1/4" piece of leather for me with no problem and didn't even change the needle, but I agree that if you are going to sew a lot of leather, use a leather needle.