July weight loss

Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 AM

My fat quarters are on their way too!
This morning I cut up a cantaloupe and watermelon. Monday I will be getting peaches and blueberries from a semi delivering fruit to the area. No excuse for unhealthy snacks in this house - at least for a few days.
Hubby is getting ready for the bike ride across Iowa, which starts next weekend. Today he plans to ride 30 miles, take a break and then ride another 30 miles. They will ride between 40 and 80 miles per day for 7 days. Ugh! Not me!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:25 PM

My package of blue fat quarters came today! 13 beauties - no 2 alike. Oh my, what to do? Love this problem!! Thanks so much!
Pat - my tip on Fair food that works for me is that if I absolutely can't resist the onion rings or mini doughnuts, I get in line, get my order, take one out and turn around to the person behind me and give the rest to him or her. I love the look or comment that follows.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:31 AM

Pam I used to do that kind of bike riding. I really like a spinning class. I hope to get back to one sometime. I rode my bike about 1/2 mile yesterday. It is a good stretch for my knee. Just a little bit painful. Every time I pedal over the top it hurts. Once it loosens up it is OK. The PT said this was actually good for me, just start out slow. It has been way too humid to do much outside here. It is supposed to cool down this week.
The strawberry cheesecake is in my refrigerator calling my name. I will have to cut it up into individual pieces and put it in the freezer. The freezer is in the basement so I have to really need some to go get it. Usually I stay out of things down there.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:43 AM

I received FQ today for 3 months from PamH and bjsmith57. They are all so pretty. I have found the the cheapest way to send the FQ for 3 months is in one of the manilla envelopes that are about 5"x7". The cost is about $1.60 to $1.65. One FQ will fit in a legal sized regular envelope. These seem to be the least expensive way to send them. Everyone is pretty quiet this month.
Pat
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM

Pat, I just put 3 FQs in an envelope and they're ready to go out in tomorrow's mail. Sorry it's taken me so long.

I've been more careful with what I'm eating - and I GAINED 4 lbs!!! What's going on? Maybe it's too much fruit and the few visits to the gym (my muscles are getting too big? Hahaha). OK, I'm going to decrease fruits, increase veges, and continue at the gym. I have to miss yoga tonight, bummer. Mom has a dr's appointment. I felt so good last week after I went back to my 'old' yoga instructor. I can do a make up class on Saturday, but it won't be with my favorite instructor. I'm making sure I stay hydrated in this heat and humidity.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 PM

I can barely get on here long enough to write a short post let alone a long one

Back to Fibro.
Did you know it has a new designation now? Nerve end neuropathy
Did you know that most of us have four things in common? Sometimes going clear back to the teens.
Insomnia, poor memory, Pain of course, depression.

For those of you who don't have it, if it often narrowed down by the trigger points. (image below)

The first time I went to a doctor for it I was 40, it took me 26 minutes to get down the stairs. I told Rob if I passed out take advantage of it and just drag me to the car.
It was diagnosed as arthritis by an emergency physician who prescribed muscle relaxants and pain meds.
Not knowing any different I sort of lived with it until I was 55. By then I was missing work, not by days but by weeks.

I made a dr appt. and told him I was at the end of my rope and I had to have some sort of class in pain management or I was literally going to put a bullet in my head. We talked for awhile he ask where it most commonly hurt and I said here on my hip and here on my collar bone. He looked at me for a minute and then said "Sharyn, that isn't you hip, that is your upper buttock, The hip is in the front. That isn't your collar bone, that is here."

Well to tell you the truth I always wondered where the bones were that were so full of arthritis
So he left and came back with a fibro handout with all those pressure points noted and I about fell off the chair.
YES. YES, that's me!

One way I was REALLY fortunate, was I hadn't had a lot of misdiagnosis because I hadn't brought it up nor did I have any other health issues so I wasn't on any medications. So I know and will thank Dr. Carroll until my dying day, that what he put me on was a miracle drug as it was the only thing, there was nothing to confuse the results.

He put me on nortriptyline which was one of the earliest anti-depressants which was a spectacular failure for depression, but in the case studies they found people with chronic pain were finding some relief. I think it is probably considered 'old school' and not one of the bright shiny drugs the salespersons are pushing this week.

There is a starter kit, you begin with 10 mg a night and over (I think) four weeks you see where you find relief.
It took me about 3-4 months to find the perfect spot but what a life changer. And I haven't a clue how it works. How can it know to make something not hurt that would have laid me out flat on my back before?

It helps with insomnia issues, a lot in the beginning, not so much anymore but I've found my own weird workarounds.
And because I was sleeping better, that first year, behind my back, I lost 10 pounds. I was so surprised, back then Rob and I were weighing in on New Years and calling it good
And I kept right on losing a pound a month until I got down to 149.

When I got cancer (twice) my weight inched up, probably around 185. With your help and my fitbit zip
I am back down to 156 today.

anyway the point of my long post is if you haven't tried it ask your doctor if you can.
Thus spake Sharyn, and the sun came out

hugs to us all, some days we need em in spades.
Attached Thumbnails fibro.gif  
Old 07-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Kalama, thanks for sharing your story. And for taking the time to do it, I know that is difficult to do right now.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Hey. Had to come back on while mom is eating

I just got a notice from fitbit I've walked 250 miles since May 23 when I strapped that puppy on.

Yowza!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Sharyn, I can't believe how long you suffered without getting help for all your pain. From what I have learned from friends with fibro, it seems like a good night's sleep is one of the most important things to help get some control.
I haven't been doing too bad with my eating but I have slacked off on my activity. I really need to get back at it. I haven't gotten 100% of my goal for several days although yesterday I got 94%. Today I got some Georgia peaches and Michigan blueberries. The cherries have been amazing too. Plenty of good healthy things to snack on in my house.
Guess I'd better get moving if I want to win those batiks!!
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Not sure if I remembered to post it but I have 3 months of FQ from mateoh. They are so pretty. I really like the black and white one. I guess I will have to behave myself in August so it can be mine!