Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: June 2013 Weight Loss Adventure with a PRIZE!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Good morning all! The poppy seed dressing sounds wonderfully tasty, thank you. I sent my FQ last Tuesday so hopefully it has arrived. Down 3lbs so far, however, I have done this before only to gain it back. Sticking to fish, wild rice, vegetables, oatmeal, fruit, some eggs. I am having some stomach issues; have tried Prilosec, Prevacid, and most recently Pepcid AC with some degree of relief. Scheduled to have an endoscope to find out what is going on with the feeling in my throat. Got to the gym only three times this week, we have had hurricane like weather with some flooding so it has kept me in. Husbands birthday celebration this Sunday so there will be lots of bad food but good company. Lots of planning and cooking today which involves the grocery store, looking to make wise choices. Praying for all those sick, struggling or in pain; may you get relief from whatever ails you. Have a beautiful weekend!

This week I have received FQ's from

newdoda
    Quiltersmomma
    Beachbound

We have a wonderful collection of purples going on. And I promise whoever wins you will get all that have been sent as purple is my favorite color.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Quote Originally Posted by newdoda View Post
    Good morning all! The poppy seed dressing sounds wonderfully tasty, thank you. I sent my FQ last Tuesday so hopefully it has arrived. Down 3lbs so far, however, I have done this before only to gain it back. Sticking to fish, wild rice, vegetables, oatmeal, fruit, some eggs. I am having some stomach issues; have tried Prilosec, Prevacid, and most recently Pepcid AC with some degree of relief. Scheduled to have an endoscope to find out what is going on with the feeling in my throat. Got to the gym only three times this week, we have had hurricane like weather with some flooding so it has kept me in. Husbands birthday celebration this Sunday so there will be lots of bad food but good company. Lots of planning and cooking today which involves the grocery store, looking to make wise choices. Praying for all those sick, struggling or in pain; may you get relief from whatever ails you. Have a beautiful weekend!
    Just remember when all the bad food is around us, we don't have to avoid it all together, you just need not to pig out on it. Small quanities is best.

I find when I am havin more than normal stomach issues, I have had too much artificial sweetners. When I cut those out I do much better.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

A lot of you ladies, have been praying for me with my diabetes. Well I went in yesterday for a follow up, lab work done last week. In January, my A1C was 13.9, it is now down to 7.6, cholestrol was over 350, it is now under 200. Weight is going down very slow but that is ok, I went from 180 up to 223, now I am back down to 202 since the beginning of the year. I was started back on insulin which caused the weight gain. Now that I am much better regulated it is finally going down. I had put that weight on in less than 2 months. So was getting very fustrated and fightng depression. The only thing the doctor wants me to add to my plan of action is more exercise, which should help bring the weight down more.

Well I am off to try something new, I saw that if you soak your strawberries in a vineagar/water mixture, it helps keep them fresher longer. So I am going to try it and will let you know how it goes.

Have a quilty weekend.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
    A lot of you ladies, have been praying for me with my diabetes. Well I went in yesterday for a follow up, lab work done last week. In January, my A1C was 13.9, it is now down to 7.6, cholestrol was over 350, it is now under 200. Weight is going down very slow but that is ok, I went from 180 up to 223, now I am back down to 202 since the beginning of the year. I was started back on insulin which caused the weight gain. Now that I am much better regulated it is finally going down. I had put that weight on in less than 2 months. So was getting very fustrated and fightng depression. The only thing the doctor wants me to add to my plan of action is more exercise, which should help bring the weight down more.

Well I am off to try something new, I saw that if you soak your strawberries in a vineagar/water mixture, it helps keep them fresher longer. So I am going to try it and will let you know how it goes.

Have a quilty weekend.
    Yea Cindy! Way to go girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowirish View Post
    Yea Cindy! Way to go girl!

Thanks Mary.........it sure does feel good with all the changes I have made again, and this time they are sticking is paying off.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Thanks Cindy good advice! And a large size CONGRATULATIONS you! I don't think people who do not struggle with their weight realize how difficult it is to get all those numbers down, that is amazing. Keep up all the good hard work and you will be there in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by newdoda View Post
    Thanks Cindy good advice! And a large size CONGRATULATIONS you! I don't think people who do not struggle with their weight realize how difficult it is to get all those numbers down, that is amazing. Keep up all the good hard work and you will be there in no time!
    thanks, it is all about my choices and I am a junk food junkie big time. Being single I choose what comes in my house. When I was shopping I picked up fresh fruit and veggies, fish and left the chips and junk at the store. it feels good to do what I know is right for me.

I will admit that when I have a craving for something I do eat what I am craving or I end up splurging big time. Small amounts is what I do.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Have a quilty weekend.
    So glad you are doing better. It is depressing to be doing all the right things and still gain weight. I think I've finally broke through another plateau. I've switched up my food choices a little and am moving around a little more. I get stuck in a rut with my food choices and get bored. My taste buds think I'm cheating when I switch and have something else for a change. Example...I was eating an orange every day but have switched to cantaloupe for now. An occasional apple with my two teaspoons of peanut butter is now a treat. Peanut butter is considered a fat on my food plan. If I don't get bored, I'm more likely to stick with my food plan. Of course, drinking lots of water is always good for me too.

Your test result numbers are looking good. Being healthy is the main reason for my continuing on with this weight loss. I got tired of being tired all the time.

You are doing great! Thanks for keeping us posted and motivated.

Wow Cindy! You are doing great! Your numbers are so much better! You'll be back to your lower weight soon.
    My daughter is moving into her first house this weekend. It is so much work. Her house is fabulous and huge. She should be able to live there for at least 30 years - until they want to downsize for retirement.
    I do plan on having a quilty week. I will be at a quilt retreat from monday through wednesday. Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow to get my stuff ready for that.

Blog Entries
    Wow Cindy your numbers are great. I had to come home from Hilton Head. Unfortunately all vacations must come to and end and I had to return to reality. I had an awesome time. I only gained one pound. Not too bad considering all of the bad things I ate. My brother and SIL spare no expense when they travel. I am not used to traveling like that. They eat at only the best places and only stay at the best places. Not exactly in my budget. We had to have nachos every day at the beach, OMG are they good. Nachos topped with pulled pork, melted cheese, sour cream and jalapenos. I don't even want to know the calorie count of that. Plus lots of dinners out etc. I guess the long walks on the beach and water aerobics saved me.
    My dad continues to hang in there. He seems a little bit worse than a week ago. He has lost a ton of weight, he was skinny to start with. He eats and drinks almost nothing. I just hope this doesn't drag on too long.

I washed my strawberries and blueberries in the vineagar/water mixture and so far there is nothing happening to them as in the past. This is a good thing, I also washed my cilantro in the vineagar mixture and it is doing well.

I may have to keep doing this when I buy the strawberries from costco since I am the only one at home. LOL they have gone bad before I could enjoy them. I think I am also going to freeze some of them once i slice them up.

Off now to work on a few projects I have to get done this week.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    I never seem to have trouble with my fruit going bad since we eat so much of it. I could eat a pound of strawberries at a sitting. I find they last longer if I wash only what i plan to eat and only cut what I will eat at a time.

Blog Entries
    Count me in, hopefully to win! I just came in from eating Baskin Robbins ice cream cake --- a belated BD cake, so I just had to eat it. Love the frosting!!!!!! Found a new recipe to marinate thinly sliced cucumbers, onions, and tomatoes. The marinade is 1/4 cup cider ninegar, 1/4 cup splenda, and 1 cup water. I use portions of this on lettuce for a good tasting salad or just eat the veggies as a side dish.

Am reading "Mindless Eating" by Brian Wansink. Really great reading. Some things he points out: Always be the last to start eating and pace your self with the slowest eater. I am a fast eater and tried this with the cake....ergo, I did not have seconds. I noticed that the fastest eaters did have seconds.
    Last edited by Pete; 06-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Blog Entries
    Sounds like all are having many positive things to report. That is greatI am not working toward the prize this time, but to just see how everyone is doing, and enjoy. Oh, and to one who ask about the cake part, yes it is to be baked before putting the other things on top.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

morning!

Cindy, that's a big whooohoo for you & the happy numbers!

What ratio water/vinegar do you use? I've been thinking about doing that too. We go thru a lot of fruit! When strawberries were in season here I bet my husband & I ate at least 4 flats! They were so sweet this year I never needed any sugar. Now watermelons are in & they are pretty tasty too. Don't forget to wash the outsides before you slice them because they can carry nasty germs too. The knife will carry them right into the meat.
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
    morning!

Cindy, that's a big whooohoo for you & the happy numbers!

What ratio water/vinegar do you use? I've been thinking about doing that too. We go thru a lot of fruit! When strawberries were in season here I bet my husband & I ate at least 4 flats! They were so sweet this year I never needed any sugar. Now watermelons are in & they are pretty tasty too. Don't forget to wash the outsides before you slice them because they can carry nasty germs too. The knife will carry them right into the meat.
    I filled the sink with enough water to cover the fruit, then added about 1 cup of vinegar. Soaked for 20-30 minutes. What I am liking is in the past, I would already have them going bad if I had not done anything with them. I buy way too much for 1 person (so far none have gone bad) after cleaning in this mixture. It has been 4 days since I bought them.

I even did this with my cilantro and it is doing well also.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries

Have a quilty weekend.
    Congrats on your progress! You are getting me more inspired!!!! Way to go!

By the way, we put all veggies and fruit in those green bags ..makes them last forever!
    Last edited by Pete; 06-10-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Blog Entries
    Checking in ladies. I had a very productive weekend, finished an oven mitt, pin cushion, two dqs (one was supposed to be a mug rug oops to big), four baby quilts, two scrap quilts, and the customer quilt, plus my row robin while helping dh with computer, gardening, making potatoe salad, yes I had some could not help self for some good potatoe salad and running child. Well, I got on the scale and I lost two pounds this weekend because I was up and moving so much burning those calories while still eating only positive foods. That is a total of 3 so far. Well off and running some more at office. Lots of bindings to finish up, oh darn sit down work. LOL
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Checking in ladies. I had a very productive weekend, finished an oven mitt, pin cushion, two dqs (one was supposed to be a mug rug oops to big), four baby quilts, two scrap quilts, and the customer quilt, plus my row robin while helping dh with computer, gardening, making potatoe salad, yes I had some could not help self for some good potatoe salad and running child. Well, I got on the scale and I lost two pounds this weekend because I was up and moving so much burning those calories while still eating only positive foods. That is a total of 3 so far. Well off and running some more at office. Lots of bindings to finish up, oh darn sit down work. LOL

You make me tired just reading how productive and busy you were over the weekend. I wish I had the stamina to do as much as you have. I have to check into doing some more rehab. It seems the hotter it is getting the worse time I am having doing anything. Life can be a witch sometimes when you only have 1 lung.

Lately I have to take things very slow and need to find the money in my budget to try and get someone to help me with my housework. I can no long sweep, mop or vaccuum.

Ladies I love hearing how you are doing and keep up the good work. it is encouraging to hear how everyone is doing.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

So far I'm having a good month. At my weigh in today, I was down another 1.4 since last Thursday. I weigh on Mondays and Thursdays of every week. My total now is 37 lbs. since Jan. 1st. I'm glad I'm losing again. My diet counselor told me today that I'd probably weigh less if I would wear some clothes that fit me. haha Mine are getting "baggy" on me. I told her I wanted to go down a few more pounds before I shopped for new clothes. I hope everyone is having a good day.

How goes the week for everyone? I am not losing on the scales, but can attest to inches gone - my button down the front blouses actually fit better - and that makes me feel good!
    Terrific Tuesday - not too often do we actually get to add things to our diet but today we can change some things out and add some things in. Three of the key ingredients that help you feel full are fiber, protein and water.
    Protein - beans are considered a good source of lean protein and one of the best sources of fiber. An excellent choice for keeping you satisfied. Start the morning with an egg and bean taco or start a meal with a cup of bean soup. If you start the meal with soup, you're likely to eat fewer calories at your meal - the liquid broth fills you up and if it's veggie-packed, it will be high in fiber as well.
    Fiber - raspberries are studded with seeds which bump up their fiber content. They're relatively low in sugar which also makes them low in calories. The soluble fiber in oatmeal holds onto water so it stays in your stomach longer, make it with milk for an extra dose or protein and top with fruit.
    Water - we've talked about that glass of water before the meal to fill up some of the hungry-space and here, the soup or oatmeal give us more liquid in the diet.
    Go Tuesday and Eat healthy everyone.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Great advice today, Kathleen! They are all things we can try to work into our diet. Isn't it nice when our clothes show us the difference? My shorts are fitting over my belly button now instead of under a fat tummy (think Larry the Cable Guy ) I have some black beans in the freezer that I soaked & cooked last month, I think I'll cook up some onion to add to them, season with Cajun & call that lunch.

I'm wondering if there if a jinx on being the monthly winner? I have only lost .5 so far this month but like Kathleen said as long as we still see it in our clothes it is all good!
    .* .*)) -::-
    ((.*~Dody.*))
    -::- ((.* .*((.. *-::- ...

Good morning all! Wow you all have some really great advice with this dieting thing! Not only do I feel like an amateur at quilting but also losing weight. Cindy I took your advice and didn't pig out this weekend despite the amazing Bolognese Sauce, butterfinger pie and strawberry pretzel desert. Really trying hard to stay away from coffee cause I can't drink it without all those delicious flavored creamers. That is probably my biggest weakness, looooooooove my flavored coffee. Will get to the gym today; haven't been since last Thursday, I think it is time to increase my time there. Most exciting is I went to My Bernina class yesterday and learned sooooo much! Even made a lil bag. Our local quilt shop is having their annual Sew Extravaganza starting Thursday-Sunday, so I will get even more time to practice what I have learned. On the Monday after I will get my 2nd class so pretty soon I will have an intimate relationship with my Bernina. Congrats to everyone having success with loss be it inches or weight. Have a wonderful day!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast