Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: June2011 Weight Loss Adventure and Prize!

this looks like a fun group. it is too late for me but I will follow along if that is OK and join next month.

Xylie from the posts I have read you and I are very close in our current weight and thoughts on a healthy way to lose the rest of the extra weight. I started to lose about 1 1/2 years ago and needed to lose 55 pounds to be where I need to be I'm now at 16 pounds away from my goal and this thread has helped me stay on track. When I get this close to goal I usually let myself slid and then of course gain it all back over the next year or two. Not this time I will get there and stay there. We all have the same target we are aiming for just some are a little closer.
    Today had one egg, oj and half slice of toast, lunch, small salad and half of a sub with one side of the roll removed, tonight half a chicken breast and more salad
    Wish you all healthy eating.
    Gail

Blog Entries
    swcrazzy, I always lose weight on a trip. I just don't eat as much when I travel, plus fewer snacks are available.

Xylie, I would be a sick puppy if I ate that much processed food. I also don't microwave my food with a very few exceptions. I may have a Lean Cuisine tonight. These flowers are kicking my posterior. I'm feeling good, which under the circumstances is wonderful, but it's so hot and humid. I hate AC, but it's tempting to make the switch.

Off to the store to get some more mulch and some cleaner for the antique dressing table that followed me home from a yard sale and a sewing machine I rescued on the way to the dumpster. The dressing table literally did follow me home. The young man was going to deliver it in his van. Instead, he walked it down the middle of the street on the casters.

Thank you, Gail. I need your good wishes if I'm going to meet Xylie's challenge. I'm down to 11 pounds to go. The last ones have been around too long to leave without kicking and screaming. Hang in there, y'all. Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Quote Originally Posted by pnptrapp
    Thanks, I think for me it's the planning of the meals that does me in! I have two young boys and it seems like we're always running crazy, or that I've lost track of time and feel rushed to make dinner or lunch or sometimes breakfast, and end up eating whatever's handy. Try to stock up on healthy/ healthier stuff, but it's ahrd to find good food that's quick and easy! :)
    Well,we eat the pre-made breakfast's and dinners.It only takes 4 minutes pr person to make.Breakfast,from Walmart frozen section is $1.60.I also buy the 24 pk blueberry pancakes that are about 4 inches wide.And their good.I sometimes give toast,or pancakes with the breakfasts.Same with dinner.My hubby and I split 1 dinner,add a salad.And he has bread,I don't eat bread too much tho.I use butter flavored spray like pam only walmart brand,for butter.Now I know some may not like them,but,in 3 1/2 yrs both my hubby and my blood work has been spot on,perfect.He's 84 and has had a 4 way by-pass 22 yrs ago.And had high cholesterol,sodium,you name it.Now,he's been perfect for 3 1/2 yrs.And mine is perfect too,where before it wasn't.Now days the frozen foods etc are nutritional and taste good,most are around 350 calories.I've lost 90 pounds eating them.Fast,quick,cheap,and are both good for you,and tastes good.Works great for us.Kids can have OJ with their breakfast.We have just coffee.And I drink lots of water.That's why I'm teetering right now,I got off the dinners,and also made 4 cakes.Not working.So,got a bunch of different dinners,and green salad,and am back on now.Already lost 2. pounds.So,know it works.I got the idea from those diet dinners they sell that are so expensive.I thought,I can do that way cheap with TV dinners.So I did.90 pounds ago.
    I like the looks of this, there are only the 2 of us and it is hard to cook for 2 without left overs (my down fall). What do you eat for lunch? or do you only eat 2 meals aday? I am going to give this a try. What have I got to loose??? hehe

Oh boy....

I am going to venture out of our house and go to a restaurant for dinner with my parents.

Mom and I talked about all the restaurants here and we have settled on a Mexican place. I am still eating the mushy consistancy on my food. Soooo, going to Mexican means that I can have a side of refried beans and rice. I am only eating about 3/4 cup of food at one time so the beans and rice will be a good choice.

I have a card from my surgeon that asks restaurants to let me order ala carte or off the children's menu. That makes life much easier.

Oh and tomorrow is my first weigh in since my surgery. Should be interesting!

I do hope all is well with everyone!!

Missy

Blog Entries
    Missy - you'll be fine! :)

Another trick to make portions in restaurants smaller is to ask immediately for a take home box. When I get a plate, I cut everything in half. I immediately put half in the take home box, and eat all or some of what's on my plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    Missy - you'll be fine! :)

Another trick to make portions in restaurants smaller is to ask immediately for a take home box. When I get a plate, I cut everything in half. I immediately put half in the take home box, and eat all or some of what's on my plate.
    Awesome idea!! Thank you for sharing that!

Missy

Blog Entries
    No one ever questions it - and you've got another dinner for another night!

Jennifer,

I did your trick and I ate exactly how I needed to and nothing got stuck or anything yucky like that. I took 10 minutes to cut the enchilada up in tiny pieces and mixed the beans and rice together. It took a long time to eat but I was not over full. I drank a tiny bit of lemonade after I was done eating. I would definitely call my first eating out a success!

Yay!!

I can hardly imagine what it was like for me before when I would eat three times the amount I had tonight plus two sodas and part of a dessert. Wow. I am glad I worked so hard to have this surgery. I have absolutely no regrets!

Oh yeah I forgot to say...I have enough leftover for two meals!

Missy

Blog Entries
    :) Great for you Missy!!

Missy it sounds like you are doing so well! I am happy for you. Keep up the good work.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and staying on track. I worked in the yard and planted today. It is amazing how much easier it is to bend over and pull weeds just with the weight I have lost so far. I have to really focus on that because my eating plan has been a little chaotic latley I need to get back to being as strick about what and how much I eat as I was when I started this plan. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rita's mom
    Missy it sounds like you are doing so well! I am happy for you. Keep up the good work.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend and staying on track. I worked in the yard and planted today. It is amazing how much easier it is to bend over and pull weeds just with the weight I have lost so far. I have to really focus on that because my eating plan has been a little chaotic latley I need to get back to being as strick about what and how much I eat as I was when I started this plan. :)
    Thank you so much! One of the things that I love about this group is that we can come here to celebrate victories and learn from our mistakes with each other's support. I love that!

Missy

Blog Entries
    My eating plan was over today, but so was my exercise. Like Rita's mom, I worked in the flower gardens, went shopping and walked the dogs even though it was 11:00. Don't tell my son I was out walking that late. He's a tad bit protective - kind of like my Border Collie.

Tomorrow will be a meal out. I'll practice bringing half home.

Quote Originally Posted by quilthappygail
    Xylie from the posts I have read you and I are very close in our current weight and thoughts on a healthy way to lose the rest of the extra weight. I started to lose about 1 1/2 years ago and needed to lose 55 pounds to be where I need to be I'm now at 16 pounds away from my goal and this thread has helped me stay on track. When I get this close to goal I usually let myself slid and then of course gain it all back over the next year or two. Not this time I will get there and stay there. We all have the same target we are aiming for just some are a little closer.
    Today had one egg, oj and half slice of toast, lunch, small salad and half of a sub with one side of the roll removed, tonight half a chicken breast and more salad
    Wish you all healthy eating.
    Gail
    Thanks.I agree.Sounds like we got about the same amount to get off.Except for me,I still got a ways to go.This thread is a great help.I done all my other weight loss alone,but was inspiring to my neighbors.One found out she had diabetes so has lost 30 pounds.She told me I was an exception because I'm keeping it off.But I told her no,I done a life style change.She loses fast like 30 pounds or more.But always,always,gains it back and then some.That's why diets don't work.When I 1st started,I saw 250 pounds and thought,boy,no way.But then thought,if I could just lose 5 pounds,and keep it off,I'd be happy.So I bought some dinners,and tossed salad,and tomatoes,cucumbers,radishes,gr onions,etc and put the on my salad.And only ate those during the day,nothing else.And lots of water.I began to lose,5,10,15, etc at about 3 pounds a month.I got down to 160 in March.And stayed there till I made the cakes and gained 15 pounds,found you all at 175.Started this month at 168.So am going down again.It doesn't get any easier.I still have to stay focused and not wonder off,I'm looking at 150 now,as that will be my 100 pound mark.Kind of exciting,and unbelievable at the same time.so koo-do's for you.That is wonderful.I'm proud of you for sticking with it.I am doing it for me because I just simply got tired of being fat.So,it's different for me this time too,as I am keeping it off by doing the life style change.

Did good considering the heat yesterday. Went to a street fair and played with the kids on the playground. Only had water to drink and a pretzel. Was very proud I didn't dive into all that fair food fat first! Here's to another day and hoping to maintain till next week!
    Good for you.That's what we got to do is just say 'no' to those extra calories.That's how to do it.Stick with it,and the scales will go down,down,down,and down.It does pay off.Believe me.You can do it,cause you already are.That's what I do too.I have to tell myself no all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by swcrazzy
    Welllll I did my weigh in at WW. I started 4 weeks ago and am down a total of 3.8 lbs. I am having a terrible time with moving and staying in good eating. Going on a trip, this may ruin all I have gained. But I will try , try ,try........ Beth in Co
    I agree with Missy,slower will stay off longer.And your trip,eat healthy.It would be a shame to watch it for 4 weeks and have a pay off,then blow it on one trip for a few days.I'd make some vegie bags to snack on,then order wisely.It's hard to diet on a fun trip tho.Have a good time.

Blog Entries
    i had my first meal out today too. we went to denny's because we love breakfast any time of day or night, lol. it didn't go badly, but they have very little for the serious dieter. i had a sr. chicken breast (actually very tasty) and dipping vegetables, but no dip. i asked the waitress to take the garlic bread away. i started the meal with a tossed salad and used an old weightwatchers trick and just dipped the fork in the balsamic dressing. i only ate half of the chicken and actually it felt really good to make that choice. have to admit i was really hungry all afternoon but if you ignore it long enough it "goes away".
    as a treat we found a lqs. i went in and browsed and ordered a bow-tucks pattern (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em) and a very small applique seasonal sign for the 4th of july. my husband waited in the car, which worked out very nicely since he wasn't hovering or asking annoying questions. we made a few stops on the way home. it was quite a fun day! we had a late dinner of steak and asparagus/red pepper soup. delish! fresh watermelon and blackberries for dessert. gallons of water all day--reminds me of being pregnant. makes me very easy to find. just listen for the sound of running water...
    pnptrapp- gotta pat you on the back! we went past a carnival setting up, and my first thought was funnel cakes. fortunately, my husband was at the wheel and we just kept on going down the road. that's a bullet dodged, lol. how often are we expected to get weighed? and are we supposed to tell someone, like mj, our starting weight? well, happy dieting to all!

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    swcrazzy, I always lose weight on a trip. I just don't eat as much when I travel, plus fewer snacks are available.

Xylie, I would be a sick puppy if I ate that much processed food. I also don't microwave my food with a very few exceptions. I may have a Lean Cuisine tonight. These flowers are kicking my posterior. I'm feeling good, which under the circumstances is wonderful, but it's so hot and humid. I hate AC, but it's tempting to make the switch.

Off to the store to get some more mulch and some cleaner for the antique dressing table that followed me home from a yard sale and a sewing machine I rescued on the way to the dumpster. The dressing table literally did follow me home. The young man was going to deliver it in his van. Instead, he walked it down the middle of the street on the casters.

Thank you, Gail. I need your good wishes if I'm going to meet Xylie's challenge. I'm down to 11 pounds to go. The last ones have been around too long to leave without kicking and screaming. Hang in there, y'all. Judy
    Well,I never thought about them being processed.And there is no way we would eat peas,carrots,and all the others if we ate my cooking.So we do get those.And their cooked aledinte or still a little crunchy {their good really}.And by the time we split one dinner,and have a nice big bowl of salad with cucumbers,tomatoes,and everything else I can think of in it,an ear of corn split,and water melon for desert.It's filling and aren't really eating that much in a day.And for the 1st time ever,our blood work is perfect.Has been now for 3 1/2 yrs.In fact after 3 yrs,they took my hubby off 80 mg of zocor because his cholosterol was too low.I know it's not for every body.But just the 2 of us,and it works good for us.We use to never would eat them,but after he got out of the nursing home 4 yrs ago,the slop they fed there was deplorible.We started with just a couple,and liked them.And it grew from there.We are lucky to live in a area where fields are all around us.Now their loaded with watermellons,cantolope,onions,and corn.This winter we had lettuce,broccoli,cabbage,califlower,and peppers.tomatoes.So do get all we want in fruits and veggies free.Plus all our neighbors got lime,lemon,grapefruit,orange,and tangelo,date,etc fruit trees.I told my hubby,with all the rivers and canals we have,all we got to do is get a fish,and we got dinner.LOL.If the country goes to pot,we're sitting in a good spot.At least we won't starve.

Quote Originally Posted by patimint
    Quote Originally Posted by Xylie55
    Thanks, I think for me it's the planning of the meals that does me in! I have two young boys and it seems like we're always running crazy, or that I've lost track of time and feel rushed to make dinner or lunch or sometimes breakfast, and end up eating whatever's handy. Try to stock up on healthy/ healthier stuff, but it's ahrd to find good food that's quick and easy! :)
    Well,we eat the pre-made breakfast's and dinners.It only takes 4 minutes pr person to make.Breakfast,from Walmart frozen section is $1.60.I also buy the 24 pk blueberry pancakes that are about 4 inches wide.And their good.I sometimes give toast,or pancakes with the breakfasts.Same with dinner.My hubby and I split 1 dinner,add a salad.And he has bread,I don't eat bread too much tho.I use butter flavored spray like pam only walmart brand,for butter.Now I know some may not like them,but,in 3 1/2 yrs both my hubby and my blood work has been spot on,perfect.He's 84 and has had a 4 way by-pass 22 yrs ago.And had high cholesterol,sodium,you name it.Now,he's been perfect for 3 1/2 yrs.And mine is perfect too,where before it wasn't.Now days the frozen foods etc are nutritional and taste good,most are around 350 calories.I've lost 90 pounds eating them.Fast,quick,cheap,and are both good for you,and tastes good.Works great for us.Kids can have OJ with their breakfast.We have just coffee.And I drink lots of water.That's why I'm teetering right now,I got off the dinners,and also made 4 cakes.Not working.So,got a bunch of different dinners,and green salad,and am back on now.Already lost 2. pounds.So,know it works.I got the idea from those diet dinners they sell that are so expensive.I thought,I can do that way cheap with TV dinners.So I did.90 pounds ago.
    I like the looks of this, there are only the 2 of us and it is hard to cook for 2 without left overs (my down fall). What do you eat for lunch? or do you only eat 2 meals aday? I am going to give this a try. What have I got to loose??? hehe
    Ya,I don't do lunch every day.But we have fruits like watermelon or cantelope sometimes.Sometimes,
    i have a bowl of soup.I like this way very much.I can't cook and buy groceries for what I can get these dinners for.And it's a win/win.Because you'll be on a portion control life style change,which means less calories,thus you'll lose weight.Mine was at about 3 pounds pr month.But,it's stayed off.Plus it will save $$ on the groc/gas bill.So,you don't have a thing to lose,except weight!

I know it is too late to officially join but I can use the help to motivate myself to loose weight. I lost 50 pounds, it took me like 1 yr and that was 1 yr ago. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I will seriously start loosing weight again. I don't say diet because I've been in diets all my life and I have allways gained the weight back and more.
    I am looking to eat better, more water and exercise. If I can do that I know I will loose weight.
    I've learned that setting up small goals helps with the motivation. So I have the big goal and some in between:
    My goal is 56 #
    20 pounds by 8/15
    5 pounds on June I think I can do

I am tired of wishing I could buy the clothes I see displayed at the mall and instead going to the racks or "women" "plus sizes" etc.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by leakus
    I know it is too late to officially join but I can use the help to motivate myself to loose weight. I lost 50 pounds, it took me like 1 yr and that was 1 yr ago. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I will seriously start loosing weight again. I don't say diet because I've been in diets all my life and I have allways gained the weight back and more.
    I am looking to eat better, more water and exercise. If I can do that I know I will loose weight.
    I've learned that setting up small goals helps with the motivation. So I have the big goal and some in between:
    My goal is 56 #
    20 pounds by 8/15
    5 pounds on June I think I can do

I am tired of wishing I could buy the clothes I see displayed at the mall and instead going to the racks or "women" "plus sizes" etc.

andrea
    Welcome Andrea,your in the right place.We all got weight to lose.Some 250 lbs,some 100,some 50,some 13lbs {lucky}till their goal.Joining by the 3rd is for the fat quarters prize.But you can join at any time and chime in.My post is above yours.I'm eating TV dinners and green salads.Lost 90 pounds in 3 1/2 yrs,about 3 lbs a month.And it's paying off,and staying off.It was a life style change.Because like you said,diets don't work.You don't have to go hungry to lose weight.That's both crazy and not healthy.There is a bunch of gals on here who too have lost a lot of weight and sticking right with it.That is key too.Don't waver.No matter what,keep going.I fell off the wagon,but am back on track now that I'm back on my meals and salads.I started at 250 lbs.So,if I can do it,any body can.Some are doing the 17 day program and it's working.Some weight watchers,and others doing other things.And your right about small goals. In my posts I said 5 pounds at a time.Because the 250 was just too much and would of discouraged me.I'd be more than 250 by now I'm sure.You get a lot of support here,so chime in and together as Mary say's we'll 'let the skinny girls out!' I just have to say that.It encourages me.

Quote Originally Posted by nancia
    i had my first meal out today too. we went to denny's because we love breakfast any time of day or night, lol. it didn't go badly, but they have very little for the serious dieter. i had a sr. chicken breast (actually very tasty) and dipping vegetables, but no dip. i asked the waitress to take the garlic bread away. i started the meal with a tossed salad and used an old weightwatchers trick and just dipped the fork in the balsamic dressing. i only ate half of the chicken and actually it felt really good to make that choice. have to admit i was really hungry all afternoon but if you ignore it long enough it "goes away".
    as a treat we found a lqs. i went in and browsed and ordered a bow-tucks pattern (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em) and a very small applique seasonal sign for the 4th of july. my husband waited in the car, which worked out very nicely since he wasn't hovering or asking annoying questions. we made a few stops on the way home. it was quite a fun day! we had a late dinner of steak and asparagus/red pepper soup. delish! fresh watermelon and blackberries for dessert. gallons of water all day--reminds me of being pregnant. makes me very easy to find. just listen for the sound of running water...
    pnptrapp- gotta pat you on the back! we went past a carnival setting up, and my first thought was funnel cakes. fortunately, my husband was at the wheel and we just kept on going down the road. that's a bullet dodged, lol. how often are we expected to get weighed? and are we supposed to tell someone, like mj, our starting weight? well, happy dieting to all!
    Well,you did great today.And your right about the water sloshing.I bet I drink 3 gallons a day in our AZ/CA/MEXICO summer heat down here.And next month is monsoon season.Can't wait.Am sweating like crazy now outside.I swear,I have to carry a washcloth now.Then I'll be wearing a towel.Oh well,free sauna's I guess.But does help lose the weight.One summer I lost 20 pounds in 1 week.I know it was from sweating my butt off.Except it was still there when I turned around.No,we write our weight down,except I pm'd mine,guess I wasn't supose to tho,I re-read and it said to write it down.Then weigh the last day and write it down and subtract the difference.Now last month was my 1st month,so this month came and mj said only those that lost over 10 pounds to pm her our loss.I only lost 7 pounds so,didn't even have to pm her at all.Anyway,good work today.And don't go hungry.I don't go hungry.Eat a salad or soup or fruit or veggie.Canned beans are free.Dill pickles are free except has sodium.A head of cabbage is low calories,toss some with other veggies in a big pot of water with some chix boullion and make a soup and have it any time with a 'few' crackers.I eat green tossed salads with the works like tomatoes,cucumbers,gr onions,onions,radishes,celery,you get the idea,anytime I feel like it.You'll get a headache not eating.It's just not healthy.And like missy said,sometimes we have to add calories to lose weight.If you shock it by not eating,then it goes into defense mode and will hang on to the fat and you won't lose.So EAT! So your body has fuel to burn those calories.Google foods that burn calories.Then get some of them to eat when you get hungry.Myself,I use red hot chili peppers dried on my food sprinkled on top.Just a smidge,don't take much.You'll be sweating too.Imediately

Welcome Andrea, glad you're joining us.

I blew it last night and had a hamburger, woke up sick as a dog this morning. With my gastroparesis I just can't eat much meat. It doesn't digest and doesn't leave my stomach.
    My DGS came home with all the fixin's for hamburger and brats and announced he was cooking out for us. I just can't say no to hime. So DGS and his friend cooked for us. I thought the hamburger would be the least of the two evils but I was wrong. I didn't go over my calorie limit but sure did get sick.

Well it's Sunday a.m. again and I think the way my stomach feels I will be able to stay away from the snacks at church. Maybe that the secret - eat something Sat night that makes me sick by Sun a.m. LOL.

MyDH and I went for a mile walk yesterday which was a good thing for us. I only walk on the days I don't swim (swiming is my favorite). This summer they are closing the pool on Sat & Sun which I think is dumb but I don't have a say in it. I'll just swim Mon. - Fri.

Well I have to get ready for church. Have a wonderful Sun. everyone.

Oh, Missy, congrats on your first meal out. I'm glad it went well. It's good to have you back posting regularly, you're such an inspiration!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like everyone is pretty much doing well. That's great!!! Keep it up...or should I say 'keep it off?"

Blog Entries
    small victory this morning! had to take my husband to the train and went past my very, very, most favorite, best bakery, not once, but twice. i thought about getting donuts, or pastries, my son is visiting and they'd make a nice treat for him, and, I DIDN'T. i just drove on by. to the world this means nothing, a big ho-hum, but you know what i'm talking about! i have to prove to myself every day that i mean it. i'm in it to lose it.
    xylie, thanks for the encouragement! i have a huge problem with not eating, and then when i do, i eat the wrong stuff. i know better, but it's my pattern. aren't we all here because we have food issues? your idea about the soup is excellent, and the salad. this time of year i could eat my weight in freshies! i plan to take advantage of it.my husband is away for the week so my challenge is to have meals. i'm thinking seriously about the frozen dinner idea. i need to lose weight and dh needs to gain. two horses on the carousel, one up, one down! so this week i don't have to worry about him, i can focus on losing. i hope everyone has a great day! the weather is just perfect here, not too hot or cold. hope yours is wonderful, too!

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast