Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: is it just me??

is it just me??

I think this is very pricy $30.00 to register plus the cost of each class you want to take I'm new to this and thought by joining some of these events I could mingle with fellow quilters and make some friends but at these prices (I'm on a fix income) don't think that's going to happen thank goodness for quilting board...... priceless..... here is the link http://www.nqaquilts.org/classes/annual-quilt-show/

Yes, just to sign up is a little pricey if it does NOT include any supplies. Keep on looking and I am sure you will find something much more reasonable.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

This would be a great opportunity to learn from many well known quilters/teachers. You would meet people from many different places. With your registration you get a bag, pin, and admission to the vendor mall for every day of the show. That is not unreasonable when you consider that the entry alone can be $10 to $15 per day for a well known show. Also the fees for the classes and lectures are in line with and in some cases below what you will find elsewhere. I saw that for some of the classes machines if needed were supplied. When you add it all up it can be expensive but what an experience.
    jackie

Check out the free tutorials available here on the board as well as other web sites on-line like those by the Missouri Star Quilt Company. There will be one for just about anything you want to make.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

classes combined with big shows are always a little high. Think what it costs to rent a city's convention center...a fortune which has to be covered by entry fees etc.

That said I wouldn't pay it either but I'm a bottom feeder

Blog Entries
    That is a large national show. Costs look similar to the large state quilt guild shows I have attended.

For more intimate, less harried classes, a local quilt shop may be better for you (and probably more affordable).

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    For more intimate, less harried classes, a local quilt shop may be better for you (and probably more affordable).
    I agree about the classes. I think it would be great to go to the show, but if you take classes at your LQS, you're not only getting a more relaxed environment, but you're also meeting other quilters who most likely live in your area.

I've found I learn as much from the other quilters as I do from the instructor when I take local classes.
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

I understand, I don't have $30.00 to spend on classes/events either. I am grateful for this board and Youtube. I learn so much here. There is so much still available out there to learn we are fortunate that we really don't have to spend that money to learn, to grow and to have fun.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    I prefer to think of myself as thrifty, but your way of saying it is much more fun!

Those prices are in line for a big quilt show. I don't think they are unreasonable. I would (and have) paid that price and have taken classes from nationally known teachers. I thought the classes and the experience were well worth the price.

Blog Entries
    Thats the cost of a class at my LQS plus book and fabric. I think it is crazy to pay such a price. I found a few groups in my community that meet once or twice a month for free. I have learned alot from them and coming here where someone is always willing to help.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

No need to spend big money for quilting ideas. There are tons of free quilting shows on u-tube. My favorite is Missouri Star Quilt Co. She has loads of free tutorials and they are really workable patterns that turn out great. Fr that kind of money you could pay dues at a quilt guild for several years. I could do memberships to some of those "clubs" or whatever they choose to call them, but I would rather spend the money for fabric and supplies.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
    I prefer to think of myself as thrifty, but your way of saying it is much more fun!

Well count me in your group !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I look at it as not only the class but the experience of being there, meeting new people, getting motivated and having a great time. I think in terms of value for the cost. If I only looked at the sticker price I would be stuck at home waiting for crumbs to sift down, no bottom feeding for me!
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would agree that the registration fee would be expensive if it was for just registering. However, I don't think it is out of line considering it also includes a show bag, a show pin and admission to the vendor mall. I have spent $20 to $25 on just the bag and pin alone at a quilt show.

I just got home a few minutes ago from the Pigeon Forge Mou ntain Quiltfest. It cost nothing to get in. Lots of vendors with reasonable prices. The classes are very reasonable compared to AQS and IQF. You do have to bring your own machine, but for about $60 less per class I can roll it in. I have gone for the last 5 years, and it seems to get better every year. This year it was the first time in the new conventiion center. Lots of wide aisles to shop the venders. NO, I do not work for them, but have never had a bad time at any of their shows.