Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a fitted sheet from slipping

Blog Entries

Keeping a fitted sheet from slipping

I bought a very nice fitted sheet that promised to keep a nice crisp feel (how do they do that) and it does. But the corners slip constantly even from the first night after it is laundered. It seems to fit snugly when I first put it on, but I end up with huge wrinkles under my body. I really dont want to fight with those elastic clips.

Any suggestions on keeping it tight? Sewing on more elastic?
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Senior Member Aprilisslowlylearnlytoquilt's Avatar
    Oh I can't wait to hear some answers to this...

Don't sleep on it?

Power Poster
    I have regular queen size mattress but I buy the sheets with an extra long gusset for pillow top mattresses. More expensive but they stay on better. I have used the elastic corner clip for other sheets and they work fine. I don't mind putting them on because I HATE a sheet that the corner comes up on. I have also sewn elastic across the corners (same position as the clips) on my sons flannel sheets he takes to hunting camp and he said they work great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have regular queen size mattress but I buy the sheets with an extra long gusset for pillow top mattresses. More expensive but they stay on better. I have used the elastic corner clip for other sheets and they work fine. I don't mind putting them on because I HATE a sheet that the corner comes up on. I have also sewn elastic across the corners (same position as the clips) on my sons flannel sheets he takes to hunting camp and he said they work great.
    I forgot to say that this is one of the pillow top type of sheet and it wasn't cheap.

I was thinking of the extra elastic bands, good to know that they work. Thanks.
    Sunnie
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Don't sleep on it?
    Funny Lady! LOL
    Sunnie
    www.buckhollow.net

I sew elastic across the corner but also I sew a piece directly from the corner to the elastic I sewed across. Make sure that one is short so it actually holds the corner down.

A new mattress pad fixed that problem for me.

I used to use the elastics - they were easy and worked well. But I really like the idea of sewing elastic across the corners. Good luck!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

I have one of those 18 inch thick memory foam mattresses (not too fond of it either). It is nearly impossible to lift the corners to slide the edges of the sheets under it. Elastic bands added would be impossible to slide under. Our headboard and footboard are curved around so we cannot get our hands under the mattress top and bottom. My husband had our bedroom furniture custom made, and I truly love it....BUT the mattress is just unforgiving. He constantly complains about the bottom sheet popping off the mattress. We may change it out next year and I am wishing for regular mattresses that you can flip over and be able to lift to put the sheets on.

I buy the sheets with deeper pockets for my thick mattress. Seen them anywhere from 13' to 17' but may also have them larger.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sheet suspenders work well.

Blog Entries
    I bought sheets at target for my kids' beds (which have thick memory foam toppers on them) and they are really nice and deep. They have a double elastic on every corner which seems to make it easier to put on plus keeps it on. They aren't cheap though (IMO-maybe I'm a cheapskate) so right now each kid has one set and for washing, we take them off early and get them all washed and dried so they can put them back on at bedtime.

the bonus-no folding of sheets.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'll have to try these!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    Sheet suspenders work well.

Fitted mattress pads and fitted sheet with large gussets work for me. I have two fitted mattress pads on each bed. Sure keeps them clean and looking like new.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Oops I wrote 13' to 17'. I meant inches! That would have been one big sheet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
    Oops I wrote 13' to 17'. I meant inches! That would have been one big sheet.
    I didn't even catch that. Sized for the Jolly Green Giant!
    Sunnie
    www.buckhollow.net

I had that problem and as weird as it sounds, I put the sheet first on the corner that kept slipping and made sure it was snuggly settled in, then next, the diagonal corner, then the one on the same side as the diagonal, then the last one. It seemed to stay a little longer between adjustments. Just try to snuggle them in the corners as well as you can.

Blog Entries
    I folded a square of fabric diagonally and sewed it to each side of the corner when I had some difficult sheets. Kind of like a bigger than average gusset. Are the sheets a woven cotton? It sounds like they are stretchy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I folded a square of fabric diagonally and sewed it to each side of the corner when I had some difficult sheets. Kind of like a bigger than average gusset. Are the sheets a woven cotton? It sounds like they are stretchy.
    The sheets are 100% woven cotton so no stretching. How big a square did you start with?
    Sunnie
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I have also done this . My MIL told me how . She , of course , made her own sheets. Very talented.
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

My mattress is 18" also, and I have looked into getting an 8 inch mattress. I don't think they even make the ones you can flip anymore. Even the big pocket sheet wrinkles. I didn't find
    the "pea" tho.

I use those things that look like the old garter belt (I'm old, I know!) hooks and they work great . They even stay on through washing, and I just pull them back around the corners.

I actually use the elastics on the top corners and also use elastics on the bottom corners of the top sheet. It works well, especially since we have one of those mite covers on our bed.

I had that same issue with my pillow top mattress. I ended up taking off the mattress pad and haven't had a problem since.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast